Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Dick Dale Login/Join 
posted
The King of Surf Guitar

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 172 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
RIP, he was one of the greats.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yes, he was.

He played a right handed guitar upside down and held left-handed, and later started playing a left handed guitar and strung it in reverse to keep the string order the same.

Made it hard for some of his licks to be played as he played them.

Sort of like Ringo playing right hand drum set left handed.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got to see him in concert on the Santa Monica Pier several years ago. Very cool show.

I remember trying to learn "Misirlou." "Trying" being the operative word. RIP.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIU0RMV_II8

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Damn, growing up surfing in the late 90s/ early 2000’s in socal- his sound was our sound. I was going to go see him live in May. Bummer...

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw him play in a small venue 15 or so years back. I could not tell you who the opening acts were, but I remember being very impressed with Dick Dale. I still have the ticket stub around here somewhere.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
One of the greats.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
RIP to one of the greats.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
We didn't surf much in Mississippi, and I had never heard of Dick Dale. The most excellent "Pulp Fiction" soundtrack re-introduced him.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post