SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "Thud Pilots" on Amazon Prime
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Thud Pilots" on Amazon Prime Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andcommande:
I was not expecting the "bug eyed" picture,

Nor was I. I was familiar with the photo having seen it before thought I don't recall where, but never knew the story behind it.

Posts: 21054 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a big fan for 28 years ,
then I read a book and watched a documentary about the air craft from that era.

One pilot called it a pretty whistle, as it was made initially for one or two purposes , then they made it do two other things,

because of what they wanted it to do , it did three things , just ok , and one thing very well.

it hauled the mail

a pilot in west phoenix told me that many skipped right over too the F4's w/o any regret at all.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
enjoyed it

the way the one pilot 'matter-of-factly' described getting shot down TWICE ... incredible

one jungle rescue - one water rescue

all at the ripe old age of 24-25...

wow

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've been singing that stupid song all week. Roll Eyes Big Grin

Posts: 21054 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I finally got to watch the film this weekend, and it was excellent.

Another good documentary about military aviation, that I just watched, and is available on Prime is:

SPITFIRE

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. I will check it out!

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This was a very good documentary, but I am interested that they focused particularly on how LBJ and Macnamara fucked up running the war. They pulled no punches on that.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
This was a very good documentary, but I am interested that they focused particularly on how LBJ and Macnamara fucked up running the war. They pulled no punches on that.

yes I can imagine losing many close friends and skilled aviators left a VERY bitter taste in their mouths

another example of the US fighting a war with 'one hand tied behind its back'

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
And lied to us the whole time, knowing they couldn’t win the war.

BTW I like the Wild Weasel motto “YMBSM”.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
And lied to us the whole time, knowing they couldn’t win the war.

BTW I like the Wild Weasel motto “YMBSM”.
IF you are interested in the history of the Wild Weasels, I highly recommend the book, LINK: "The Hunter Killers: The Extraordinary Story of the First Wild Weasels, the Band of Maverick Aviators Who Flew the Most Dangerous Missions of the Vietnam War," by Dan Hampton

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally watched it tonight. Now I know why there is a building at Maxwell AFB named "Richter Hall". Very humbling. I was only a small boy during Vietnam and don't remember much about the war, but it infuriates me everytime I read or see how politicians hamper our military.

Posts: 489 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great show, these pilots were studs.

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
the way the one pilot 'matter-of-factly' described getting shot down TWICE ... incredible

So many of these guys are like that... Iknow a guy who got shot down once in Korea, again in Nam, and rode one all the way into a corn field in Kentucky, because if he punched out it would have taken out half the small town. Then went on to a full career flying airline. Amazing dude.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I had the opportunity to attend a presentation this past Tuesday by USAF Col (Ret) Thomas H. Kirk Jr, a Thud pilot who'd also flown F86 fighters in the Korean War. Col Kirk was shot down over North Vietnam and held in the "Hanio Hilton" for more than five years, before being released. Quite a story, with an even more impressive character that lived to tell it.

He's an incredible guy. At 90+ years of age, still working out six days a week, playing golf regularly, and making appearances like this one, he's active physically as well as mentally. I believe he was involved in the documentary too.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post