SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "Thud Pilots" on Amazon Prime
Page 1 2 

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Thud Pilots" on Amazon Prime Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andcommande:
I was not expecting the "bug eyed" picture,

Nor was I. I was familiar with the photo having seen it before thought I don't recall where, but never knew the story behind it.

Posts: 16392 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a big fan for 28 years ,
then I read a book and watched a documentary about the air craft from that era.

One pilot called it a pretty whistle, as it was made initially for one or two purposes , then they made it do two other things,

because of what they wanted it to do , it did three things , just ok , and one thing very well.

it hauled the mail

a pilot in west phoenix told me that many skipped right over too the F4's w/o any regret at all.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 47453 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
enjoyed it

the way the one pilot 'matter-of-factly' described getting shot down TWICE ... incredible

one jungle rescue - one water rescue

all at the ripe old age of 24-25...

wow

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've been singing that stupid song all week. Roll Eyes Big Grin

Posts: 16392 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I finally got to watch the film this weekend, and it was excellent.

Another good documentary about military aviation, that I just watched, and is available on Prime is:

SPITFIRE

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12535 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. I will check it out!

Posts: 6207 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This was a very good documentary, but I am interested that they focused particularly on how LBJ and Macnamara fucked up running the war. They pulled no punches on that.

“Little else is requisite to carry a state to the highest degree of opulence from the lowest barbarism but peace, easy taxes, and a tolerable administration of justice: all the rest being brought about by the natural course of things.”--Adam Smith, born June 16, 1723

Posts: 14590 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
This was a very good documentary, but I am interested that they focused particularly on how LBJ and Macnamara fucked up running the war. They pulled no punches on that.

yes I can imagine losing many close friends and skilled aviators left a VERY bitter taste in their mouths

another example of the US fighting a war with 'one hand tied behind its back'

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
And lied to us the whole time, knowing they couldn’t win the war.

BTW I like the Wild Weasel motto “YMBSM”.

“Little else is requisite to carry a state to the highest degree of opulence from the lowest barbarism but peace, easy taxes, and a tolerable administration of justice: all the rest being brought about by the natural course of things.”--Adam Smith, born June 16, 1723

Posts: 14590 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
And lied to us the whole time, knowing they couldn’t win the war.

BTW I like the Wild Weasel motto “YMBSM”.
IF you are interested in the history of the Wild Weasels, I highly recommend the book, LINK: "The Hunter Killers: The Extraordinary Story of the First Wild Weasels, the Band of Maverick Aviators Who Flew the Most Dangerous Missions of the Vietnam War," by Dan Hampton

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12535 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post