SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Metallica - Post up your reviews of the new album - <The Good the Bad, and the Ugly>
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Metallica - Post up your reviews of the new album - <The Good the Bad, and the Ugly> Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
3rd time thru...I like. Album drops in November.

Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12324 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
The riff is cool, and I kinda like the structure. Seems like the type of song that will be cooler live than on record.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am no longer a Metallica fan. I understand that all artists get paid by album sales, while a minimum amount. The whole idea of them fighting album copying is b.s.. The whole reason they became as popular as they have was from one person copying a tape from another person and so on. I copied a copy of a copy from someone in middle school. That was the way it was in 80's and how a lot of the bands "made it".

If you like them and support them, good. I am not saying all should dislike them, just sharing my opinion.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also like...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Petr,

While part of me completely understands, (I used to be a serial downloader) I have to wonder where the music industry would be if Lars had not interceded when he did.

I too was a child of the 80's and copied cassettes from cassettes, and even from CD's...but when a person can download an exact copy of a new album, with perfect quality, we far surpassed the old days of copying onto a cassette. Not saying you are right or wrong, just sharing my opinion.

All that aside, I'm going to see them in concert Saturday, the only US date they have this year. Opening the new Vikings stadium. Volbeat and Avenged Sevenfold are opening for them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12324 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Good music but James just doesn't have the vocal ability anymore. He peaked with Master of Puppets and Justice.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I listened to it multiple times yesterday. I like it. Nothing earth shattering or anything. Fairly straight forward.

The first single or two they release from a new album always seems "middle of the road" to me. Nothing great, nothing awful. But there are usually several other songs that I like a lot more on the rest of the album. So I'm kind of hoping for the same thing here.

Some of the other song titles seem intriguing. I'll be getting the 3-disc version with the riff origins when it comes out.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I love Metallica. I never get tired of listening to them. I dig that new track. Looking forward to hearing more.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30405 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
maybe im just grumpy or getting old but after the black album, I just couldnt get into them.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
They do Slayer wayyyyy better than Slayer ever did.
Way to breathe new fire into the thrash genre!

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I've listened to this a few times now - better every time...except: Kirk's solo is too damn short, it cuts off where I was expecting it to just take the fuck off. Almost like James conceded a solo, but nothing too long.

That aside, I hold great hope for the full album and am very happy that I agreed to go to the show tomorrow. Hopefully I will get a live version.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:
maybe im just grumpy or getting old but after the black album, I just couldnt get into
them.

I loathed the Black album. Hate the whole Bob Rock period with the exception of parts of St. Anger.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I cant say much as I've only listened to the one single they have out on Sirius, and well, its Metallica. I cant find jamming to it like I can enter sandman, but its much better than most of the st. anger album

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
I am no longer a Metallica fan. I understand that all artists get paid by album sales, while a minimum amount. The whole idea of them fighting album copying is b.s.. The whole reason they became as popular as they have was from one person copying a tape from another person and so on. I copied a copy of a copy from someone in middle school. That was the way it was in 80's and how a lot of the bands "made it".

If you like them and support them, good. I am not saying all should dislike them, just sharing my opinion.

Totally disagree. If it weren't for thieves illegally downloading content my house would be paid off, I'd have a nice 6 figure bank account and close to seven figures in my retirement. Got damn POS thieves. Stealing is stealing. If you like it and want it then pay for it. When you want a gun do you steal it from the LGS or pay for it legally?

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12624 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Livin' the Dream
Picture of Mosttoyswins
posted Hide Post

"Luck happens when hard work meets opportunity" - Fortune Cookie

Posts: 2548 | Location: Cumming, GA | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Livin' the Dream
Picture of Mosttoyswins
posted Hide Post
Oh and I love Metallica. That song sounds old school and I like it. Parts of it remind me of "Blackened".

"Luck happens when hard work meets opportunity" - Fortune Cookie

Posts: 2548 | Location: Cumming, GA | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the thing. How long would it take, and how much would it cost to make and mail 100 cassettes. It would only take minutes, with no cost to you, to put it online for everyone to copy. I'd be lying if I said I never traded tapes. That being said, if I liked the band I would go out and buy it. To this day I still go out and buy the CD's. I'm from the time when you went to the store and bought albums. The excitement of opening it up to look inside was great. How many of you guys remember getting Kiss Alive II. Opening it up with the book, stickers and a patch if my memory serves me correct. Looking at the picture of the stage between the folds was almost like you were there.

Posts: 1249 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kiss Alive II.

Holy memories Batman!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
This almost sounds like it could be off of Ride The Lightning... Except Hetfield's voice is shot.

I'd say it's better than anything that came after And Justice, but nowhere near as good as MoP or prior albums.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Huge fan... always have been.

BUt this one underwhelms me.

It is like they are TRYING too hard to be "garage metal" like they first started.

Metallica fans are some of the most self righteous, snobbish people on the planet. The original hipsters if you will. "I only like everything "the Black ALbum" and earlier" and the more "metal hipster" ones who say "well I only like Master of Puppets and earlier." Then you have the douchiest of metal hipsters who say they only like them when they practiced in a rented garage space and hadn't even played at the Whiskey A-go-go yet....

They are trying to cater too much to the metal douchbags who want to judge them for evolving as a band and making the "Load" and "Reload" albums, or playing with the symphony after that.

Ever since Metallica stopped trying to be themselves, right around St. Anger when they forced trying to go back to sounding like they did when they first came onto the scene, they became a cartoon...

I'll check the rest of the album out, but this screams of them trying to cater to the vision that their overweight, obnoxious fans who can't let the past go want.

(No offense intended to the the people in this thread, this is not directed at any of you.)

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post