SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Mandalorian (Disney+)
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 34
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Mandalorian (Disney+) Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Does this mean that Moff Gideon has some connection to the Mandalorians?

He was an ISB officer during the purge, so he has always had a connection to Mandalore. He also has data on all the Mandalorians. It will be interesting to find out how he got the Darksaber; whether if it was through personal combat (the only legitimate way to get it) or by theft.

Reading up on it, the details are non-existant but seem to point to him arranging for it to be stolen.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
Does this mean that Moff Gideon has some connection to the Mandalorians?

He was an ISB officer during the purge, so he has always had a connection to Mandalore. He also has data on all the Mandalorians. It will be interesting to find out how he got the Darksaber; whether if it was through personal combat (the only legitimate way to get it) or by theft.

Reading up on it, the details are non-existant but seem to point to him arranging for it to be stolen.

Moff Gideon's idea of personal combat is shooting a person in the back from the command deck of a Star Destroyer while they are sleeping in their bed on their planet. I am going to go with stolen or assassinated the previous holder of the Darksaber and then stole it.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why the Mandalorian blacksmith would need to tell everyone about the sorcerers who could lift objects with their minds. The Force and the Jedi would have been common knowledge throughout the galaxy. Millions of people would still be alive who remembered the Jedi. It makes no sense that no one knew about them. In fact, when the baby lifted the mudhorn, the force should have been the first thing that Mando thought about and then that would have made him think, hey that's the sort of thing those Jedis could do.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The Mandalorian exists in the era immediately following the original trilogy--about five years after the events in Return of the Jedi. At that time, most people have forgotten about the use of the Force, even though it's only been about thirty years since the fall of the Jedi Order. Remember, even in Star Wars, which occurs about fifteen years prior to The Mandalorian, one of the Empire officers refers to the Force as an antiquated religion.

So it's plausible that nobody remembers.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Working my way through this series. Finished ep 7 last night.
Overall, I've enjoyed it, as a casual SW fan.

Likely wrap it up with ep 8 tonight.

Then, on to watching Yellowstone

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
SERIOUS NERD COMMENTARY FOLLOWS:
In regards to no one remembering the Jedi, I've always assumed that something, either the Force itself or the manipulation of the Dark Side has influenced people to forget the Jedi. It's the only thing that makes sense to me as Han was alive during the fall of the Republic (he's a fair bit older than Luke and Leia) and considers it merely a hokey religion. Some of the (now non canon) expanded universe novels implied that one of the reasons the Empire fell so quickly was Palpatine was exerting subtle control over the entire Empire and once he was gone things just fell apart. At the very least it's still canon that the Dark Side was able to cloud the Jedi from being able to see what was going on. If it can blind Yoda, I'm sure it can make folk that only know jedi from stories dismiss them as legend.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
copaup, I think you are putting WAY too much effort into this. Granted, you have a good theory, but I think the best explanation is this is just a plot hole (Like Tarkin bossing Vader around on the first Death Star in Ep4).

I'm a TrekNerd, and people spend countless hours arguing about the appearance of the Klingons on the original Trek vs Next Gen and the movies. They come up with all sorts of stuff that was even put into canon in Star Trek: Enterprise, about some disease that made the Original-Series Klingons lose their head ridges. In the DS9 cross-over episode where the modern-day crew goes back in time to meet Kirk, they ask Worf why the Klingons look weird. He just says "We don't like to talk about it" and that is that.

The real explanation is, of course, that the special effects in the movies and beyond were just better than in the 60s.

So, Ep 4 calling the Force an 'ancient religion' and nobody remembering the Jedi is just a plot hole. Just like saying that Han did the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs (they mistook distance for time).

And that's ok. Sometimes, plot holes exist and we don't need to obsess over them. Of course, we are nerds, which means we obsess over a whole lotta stuff that others don't. You ought to see some of my rants about the 'JJTrek' verse (spoiler, I don't like it). Big Grin

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Maybe it’s only as ubiquitous as it seems to be (the force and the Jedi) because we follow the camera around all the time, and the camera always sees the force in action.

It’s a huge galaxy and if I’m just trying to get my space potatoes to friggin grow and the moisture vaporator keeps breaking down, and the droids are malfunctioning, AND my republic credits are losing value, what am I going to do - sit around and read or jack off about people moving stuff with their mitichlorians? Hell no. I gotta get to work!

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I find your lack of faith...disturbing...
<futilely attempts to Force choke>

Biggest plot hole for me was Vader. Seems like word would get around the fleet to not annoy the seven foot tall space wizard with a penchant for murdering subordinates who irritate him. Clearly he’s well known as the Emperors muscle. A junior senator from Alderaan recognized him. Vader is a lot of things, but he ain’t subtle. Hell there are people in my chain of command right now that no one dares back talk, and they never murdered a village of sand people or a temple full of Jedi kids. Probably. Empire clearly doesn’t value IQ in its middle management.

Back on topic, I loved the Mandalorian with the exception of the Tatooine episode. I got a real Muppet Show Guest Star vibe from the mechanic. Just didn’t fit.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Finished the season last night.
Thought the back & forth with the storm troopers was amusing.
All-in-all, a good wrap to a good season, looking forward to S2.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Finished the season last night.
Thought the back & forth with the storm troopers was amusing.

[Nerd]

Aaaaaakshually... Big Grin

Those were Scout Troopers.

[/Nerd]

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So...Why are the knees of the normal stormtrooper different? Not a joke, don't actually know. I'd like to watch this show, but do not have Disney...

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes

Storm Troopers, Scout Troopers, Shock Troopers, Death Troopers.
All the same to me [/casualfan]

Big Grin

I was curious why they had different helmets, didn't realize they were a different 'class'.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
So...Why are the knees of the normal stormtrooper different?

The right knee contains the suit power cells. The left knee has a kneepad for kneeling.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As for not remembering JEDI, or the use of the FORCE. Simply put. There were never a whole bunch of force users. The clone wars had only a few hundred IIRC. The vast populace would have never met, or seen one.
Tac on 30+ years after their fall, and you get a new generation who has only the stories. Grampa says he once saw a guy throw a gunship across the battlefield. Grandpa also pulled a galactic credit out of my ear.

Hokey, outdated religion. All simple propaganda tools to encourage distrust, and whisk it all away.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always wondered why the scout troopers have a helmet that obstructs all of their peripheral vision. I guess when you're riding a speeder bike you need something like horse blinders.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I like seeing all the different blasters from Battlefront and other Star Wars sources.

This is what Star Wars needed. No Skywalkers, no C3PO, new characters. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
What a fun series. Maybe my favorite of all the newer SW.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I like seeing all the different blasters from Battlefront and other Star Wars sources.

This is what Star Wars needed. No Skywalkers, no C3PO, new characters. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Yeah, I really hope they resist the temptation of dragging the same old 'beloved characters' into this show. . .

I am sick to the point of death of seeing the same people in nearly every Star Wars movie. MOVE THE STORY FORWARD already.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
What a fun series. Maybe my favorite of all the newer SW.

I watched it for the first time a few days ago and felt the same. It's not Game of Thrones or anything but it was solid and fun to watch. Hoping for more out of the next season.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post