SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Mandalorian (Disney+)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 34
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Mandalorian (Disney+) Login/Join 
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
After watching two episodes, I have to say this Mandalorian seems to be a barely competent bounty hunter. He got his ship stripped, got his ass handed to him by a bunch of Jawas and then by the big horn animal in the cave, and IG-11 seems a much more effective fighter. To be fair, Boba Fett wasn’t much better in the original trilogy (even though he wasn’t actually a Mandalorian; he just wore the armor), but the title character doesn’t seems nearly as badass as I expected.

Really? He’s not an invincible superhero, is that what you were expecting?

Someone who doesn’t get his ass kicked by a dozen Jawas.

Well he did put a bunch down long range but then he did a full frontal assault on a armored vehicle traveling fast with lots of troops.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Investing in a assassin droid crew member is making more and more sense.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:

Well he did put a bunch down long range but then he did a full frontal assault on a armored vehicle traveling fast with lots of troops.

Well, that was a really stupid move. He had no realistic chance of success, but maybe it was either take the Jawa stronghold or die of thirst in the desert? An act of desperation, or perhaps of unthinking rage.

He did survive 3-1 odds against the lizard bounty hunters. . .

Still, no way they could have repaired his ship to spaceworthy condition after it was stripped. They tried to play it off as "Jawas don't destroy; they scavange." If they stripped my pickup to that level, nothing short of a full service garage could put it back on the road.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Still, no way they could have repaired his ship to spaceworthy condition after it was stripped. They tried to play it off as "Jawas don't destroy; they scavange." If they stripped my pickup to that level, nothing short of a full service garage could put it back on the road.

Then it's a good thing he had an Ugnaught to help him out. Noted as being highly industrious.

So far so good, lots of promise, very encouraged SW aficionado and suitable director Filoni is tied to this work. I am getting tired of desert planets in the SW universe thought; nearly every new SW location in the last handful of movies, has been set on some remote, distant outpost, little life or, settlement. Nothing like you'd imagine from a modern, futuristic setting, instead we get far off desert places.

The other thing is Mando appears to be a somewhat bumbling bounty hunter or, perhaps an incomplete or flawed one. It's already been established that he has no sigil, meaning he hasn't earned or, done anything significant and he has a soft-spot for this baby. Having a bunch of Jawas out-wit him, reveals some short-comings in his methodology. He might be capable dealing with kinetic threats but, wily and mischievous threats are a problem.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
After watching two episodes, I have to say this Mandalorian seems to be a barely competent bounty hunter. He got his ship stripped, got his ass handed to him by a bunch of Jawas and then by the big horn animal in the cave, and IG-11 seems a much more effective fighter. To be fair, Boba Fett wasn’t much better in the original trilogy (even though he wasn’t actually a Mandalorian; he just wore the armor), but the title character doesn’t seems nearly as badass as I expected.

Really? He’s not an invincible superhero, is that what you were expecting?

Someone who doesn’t get his ass kicked by a dozen Jawas.

They had the high ground! Razz

As for the assassin droid... well, he did have a tendency to want to self destruct.

-Tom
(Digging the Lone Wolf and Cub vibe...)

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice write-up that supports that gives the general overview of the series. No spoilers so, if you haven't watched, mildly curious, read on...

The Mandalorian Is The Star Wars You've Been Looking For
quote:
It's a western or samurai yarn set in the rich Star Wars universe and it gets right everything that the new sequel films get wrong.

There is no doubt that the Star Wars franchise is one of the strongest on our own outer rim planet, but there have been signs that some of its luster may be fading. With potential storm clouds hanging over Disney's banner sci-fi investment, all eyes on are the franchise's first live-action Star Wars television show, The Mandalorian. In an era where the real possibility of "Star Wars fatigue" seems to be a potential symptom of a greater ailment within the House of Mouse, and in which the company has so much riding on its new streaming service, Disney+, of which The Madolorian is the 'E-ticket ride,' the stakes really couldn't be higher for the Jon Favreau-helmed space adventure series.

So, with two episodes of The Mandalorian streaming away, what's the verdict?

I can confidently say that this is the Star Wars you've been looking for.

Everything that the J.J. Abrams-era sequels have lacked is omnipresent in The Mandalorian. Let me rephrase that—this show wipes the floor with the new movies. It is not another 'as massive a market as possible' Star Wars adaptation. It doesn't have a rushed, over-stuffed, and often nonsensical storyline that relies more on the public's demand for anything new Star Wars than actual quality or even coherent storytelling. As a result, it can take chances. It can be remarkably violent when it needs to be. Above all else, it can take its time to bathe in a key ingredient that makes Star Wars so great—the incredibly diverse and texture-heavy environments that make up a galaxy far, far away.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
In an era where the real possibility of "Star Wars fatigue" seems to be a potential symptom of a greater ailment within the House of Mouse

There is NO SUCH THING as 'Star Wars Fatigue.' It is "Bad Movie Fatigue."

Just like the Charlie's Angels mess - "We produced a crappy SJW movie but the reason it fails is because men don't watch movies with women leads" BS.

If they made a good movie with compelling characters, a good script, and real character development (instead of cookie-cutter stereotypes), I would watch "Thomas the Tank Engine: The Motion Picture."

But, disney thinks they can churn out a crapfest SJW movie and think we will throng to it because they slap a 'Star Wars' tag on it. . .

I like The Mandalorian. I like to think of it as "Firefly Season 2." *

*They are both 'space westerns.'

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm really liking the show so far but putting the ship back together after the jawas stripped it was a little too unbelievable. It would be hard to be able to put a car back together and it work much less a spaceship in the middle of a desert. They should have had the jawas just take his fuel or something more simple. His rifle is awesome though. There's something so satisfying about disintegration. In urban areas though, it would seem like he would use some sort of SBR.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
was a little too unbelievable

You guys make me laugh. It's all made up in a land far far away. But that's the one thing about the show that's unbelievable? Big Grin

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
It's all made up in a land far far away.

[NERD]

Aaaaktshually… Itsh a galaxy far, far, away.

[/NERD]

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You guys make me laugh. It's all made up in a land far far away. But that's the one thing about the show that's unbelievable? Big Grin

Right. A baby Yoda can lift off the ground a Rhino sized beast with just his mind, but the technical ability to rebuild a complicated machine with all the tools and parts needed is just too unbelievable to accept. Goodness.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It's all about 'Willing Suspension of Disbelief.' Yes, we KNOW it's a sci-fi fantasy space western with aliens, FTL ships, and magic. We KNOW none of this is real, or even physically possible. However, it's all about the story.

Take the latest Godzilla movie, for example. We KNOW a 300-ft tall radioactive lizard is impossible in the real world. As long as they keep the story relatively realistic and consistent with the rules of the world in which it's set, then it's fine. Have Godzilla and Ghidora level Boston in a no-holds-barred kaiju fight? Fine. BUT, to have Godzilla then sit down and play piano in a ragtime jazz ensemble would be pushing the suspension of disbelief too far (I am, of course, using a ridiculously extreme example to make my point).

So, in the world of Star Wars, I can accept a 50-yr old baby who eats frogs whole, travels via a hovering bassinet, and uses magic to levitate an enraged rhino critter. However, re-assembling his stripped ship with no heavy garage/depot support with just two people is pushing it beyond my ability to suspend disbelief. It is simply beyond the abilities and norms established in the Star Wars lore/universe.

Heck, one of the main reasons I hate The Last Jedi so much is the way they ignored or set aside established canon and the 'rules of the SW universe' in order to have this stupid 'slow speed chase' (when the entire pursuing fleet could have simply FTL'd ahead and cut the rebels off in less than 30 seconds). Or having Finn suddenly fly a shuttle AND a land speeder after a major plot point of the previous movie (which took place literally 15 minutes prior to the beginning of this movie) revolved around him not being able to fly ("Why are you doing this?" "Because it's the right thing to do." "You need a pilot" "I need a pilot").

SO, I like the Mandalorian so far. I just hope they take the 'rules of the SW universe' seriously and stay loyal to the established rules the other movies follow.

And, of course, I am a sci-fi nerd. Nitpicking is what we do (you should read some of my rants about the "JJ-Trek movies" to see how I treat the Trek universe, which is, by far, my preferred and favorite franchise).

to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
"I'm a Mandalorian. Weapons are part of my religion."......I'm good with that.

Theme song from "The Mandalorian";

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm really digging the "realness" of it so far, the CGI seems very well done or is minimal so that it doesn't have that CGI-fakeness to it.

When he loads his very real looking rifle with real rounds for example, that's one of the small details that really make this show IMO.

When he hits the ground with a thud and puff of dust and you know it had to hurt, rather than the superhero movie style of them hitting the ground and cracking it and acting like they just landed on a giant bale of cotton.

I think this show will have a future.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I've not started it yet, but I am very pleased to read that most of you guys are digging it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I would watch it if it were on Netflix, Hulu or Prime, but I’m not starting down this path of everyone and their brother having their own subscription content channel.

From what I’ve read in this thread, sounds good though!

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

These are the same replies to the recent Thor and Infinity Wars movies yet feel Final Countdown and Top Gun are real. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Got his ride stripped by a bunch of Jawas & uses a single shot weapon you say? What kinda Bounty hunter we dealing with exactly,lol?

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Got his ride stripped by a bunch of Jawas & uses a single shot weapon you say? What kinda Bounty hunter we dealing with exactly,lol?

Think Sharps Rifle for long range. He has a blaster, knife, whipcord, and flamethrower for closer range encounters (from what I have seen and recall so far).

As far bounty hunter, think Clint Eastwood's "Man with No Name" from A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Both are deadly competent but occasionally get their butts kicked....all part of the Campbell "Hero's Journey": losing and getting knocked down, only to raise again (Asian adage: It is ok to fall down 6 times, as long as you stand up 7 times).