SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Mandalorian (Disney+)
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 34
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Mandalorian (Disney+) Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gocad:
One aspect (among others Wink ) I liked about the last episode ist that they didn't get crazy wit lots of aliens we haven't seen before, but rather populated the port with Quarren and Mon Calamari.

Yeah, that was great.

Although, that one Quarren dude sounded like the grizzled gunslinger in any cheesy western movie, especially when he said "You killed my brother.". .

I also liked how Mando paid for Baby Yoda's chowder and the needed information with Calamari Flan. In the first episode, Mando was offered the full bounty (for the blue dude and others) in Imperial Credits, or half bounty in Flan. He took the Flan. Here we are, 10 episodes later, and he still had the flan on him. Dude must have a LOT of pockets. . .

That attention to detail really appeals to me - it shows they did their homework, instead of (like Ep8/Ep9/Solo) just throwing crap together 'because it looks cool' or 'because the fans will LOVE to see xyz again.'

I also wonder about the Imperial holdouts in this episode. In the first season, The Client had stormtroopers working for him, but they were all dirty and scuffed, indicating they had neither the discipline or time/money to keep their armour clean. Here, the Imps had shiny spotless armor and uniforms, indicating they were part of a disciplined and capable force (even though they still couldn't hit jack and their armour was as worthless as wet cardboard). And, one of the crewmen indicated they were headed to meet 'the fleet.' Meaning, there are at least several Imperial ships, probably Star Destroyers, hiding out somewhere, under a unified command (most likely under Moff Gideon). This could be a major plot point with the Mandalorians as they try to take back their home world. As cool as they are, I doubt some jet-pack wearing dudes with flamethrowers and broke ghetto spaceships could successfully take on a Star Destroyer, much less a FLEET of them.

*I'm just glad I have something to geek out over. I'm primarily a Star Trek fan, but Trek is dead to me now (I refuse to watch the SJW-infested ST: Disco and Picard). I also love Babylon 5. And Firefly. And Stargate Atlantis. And Space: Above and Beyond (you may detect a theme here). The Mandalorian finally gives me a reason to be excited and anticipate "Next Week's Episode" for the first time in literally a decade.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The one thing that bugs me are the tracking fobs. How do they work? Its not a chip or something its like they lock on your DNA or something. How do they work over such distance? And if you have one it doesn't take much to be a bounty hunter, just follow the fob and shoot the guy...

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its not a chip or something its like they lock on your DNA or something.

Its the result of one payer health care....aka PalpatineCare.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Politics in an apolitical thread. Let's keep it on track.

Posts: 2332 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should at least have to be on the same planet for a fob to work. Tracking someone light years away is a little too much to believe, even in the star wars universe.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3524 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
You should at least have to be on the same planet for a fob to work. Tracking someone light years away is a little too much to believe, even in the star wars universe.

This is, perhaps, the hardest part for me to 'suspend my disbelief.' I see no way that those fobs should be able to work.

The second-hardest part is that the Razor Crest is still flying. That thing never should have left the ground after crashing on the ice planet (it never should have flown after the Jawas stripped it in the second episode, either. . .) (yeah, short dude said Jawas 'strip,' but not 'destroy' things; but try to put your car back together without a garage or heavy/specialized tools after some auto thieves strip it . . .).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
They finally did it!
"May the Force be with you"
"And also with you"

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Same technology as the Wayfinders Roll Eyes

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
That attention to detail really appeals to me - it shows they did their homework, instead of (like Ep8/Ep9/Solo) just throwing crap together 'because it looks cool' or 'because the fans will LOVE to see xyz again.'

The main difference being The Mandalorian has a Lucasesque* strong central showrunner with a firm vision and a serious appreciation for the lore calling the shots, as opposed to the "design by committee for broadest assumed appeal" haphazard approach taken for the sequel trilogy.

(*Lucasesque in regards to vision, not in directing/dialogue writing capability Wink )

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've told myself they are actually only receivers and the real data gathering is performed by a gigantic network of Empire era surveillance equipment. It's thin, but hey, we have space wizards, FTL drives, artificial gravity, and a whole slew of other fantasy elements.

The amazingly resilient Razor Crest? Well. I just don't think about that much.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
I've told myself they are actually only receivers and the real data gathering is performed by a gigantic network of Empire era surveillance equipment. It's thin, but hey, we have space wizards, FTL drives, artificial gravity, and a whole slew of other fantasy elements.

One of my quibbles with the SW Universe is the lack of satellites, sensors and the use of electronic warfare in the movies. Only in ESB with the Probe Droid, was there the use of reconnaissance, sensors and intelligence gathering as a segment of warfare. If only the general public understood how important electronic warfare is...

Then again, this is the same universe that only does warfare with frontal attacks, WWI trenches and still uses melee weapons. Roll Eyes

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of this kind of thing when the Mandalorian went to get the child from the gang of criminals. He could have thrown a small drone up to locate everyone and even shoot them before they even knew what happened.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3524 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
One of my quibbles with the SW Universe is the lack of satellites, sensors and the use of electronic warfare in the movies. Only in ESB with the Probe Droid, was there the use of reconnaissance, sensors and intelligence gathering as a segment of warfare. If only the general public understood how important electronic warfare is...

That's just the films and TV shows. There's plenty of electronic warfare, recon, sensors, intel, etc. in the expanded universe novels. (Probably because they can afford to go deeper into more esoteric aspects of the SW Universe.)

And if you really want to go on a deep nerd dive, there's a fan theory about electronic warfare/countermeasures that's intended to explain why capital ships fight basically on top of each other in the SW Universe, and still utilize manual gunners as seen in the films. (As opposed to the real world explanation of "George Lucas thought it looked cooler to have ships broadsiding each other at point blank like 18th century ships-of-the-line".)

Basically, it goes something like: The electronic countermeasures on capital ships in the SW Universe have gotten so advanced that computerized targeting sensors are no longer reliable enough for use. So the ships have to close to near-contact distance and shoot at each other manually.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
That's just the films and TV shows. There's plenty of electronic warfare, recon, sensors, intel, etc. in the expanded universe novels. (Probably because they can afford to go deeper into more esoteric aspects of the SW Universe.)

I knew there was more in the books, I should've stated, just the movies attempt to make warfare a simplistic exercise for the camera.

quote:
And if you really want to go on a deep nerd dive, there's a fan theory about electronic warfare/countermeasures that's intended to explain why capital ships fight basically on top of each other in the SW Universe, and still utilize manual gunners as seen in the films. (As opposed to the real world explanation of "George Lucas thought it looked cooler to have ships broadsiding each other at point blank like 18th century ships-of-the-line".)

Basically, it goes something like: The electronic countermeasures on capital ships in the SW Universe have gotten so advanced that computerized targeting sensors are no longer reliable enough for use. So the ships have to close to near-contact distance and shoot at each other manually.

I've heard of that theory, it comes across as people attempting to explain the shortcomings of writers/author's poor understanding of modern warfare, thus they rely on simplistic scenes, that can be squeezed into a single camera shot.

Wasn't there a scene in one of the movies where an imperial ship launching broadsides and the shot was from behind an artillery piece that was spitting out spent casings?

Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

Wasn't there a scene in one of the movies where an imperial ship launching broadsides and the shot was from behind an artillery piece that was spitting out spent casings?

I think so, The space battle at the beginning of Revenge of the Sith?

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/20...y-stewart/index.html

Hahahaha! They hurt too many animals on that show. Big Grin

It’s a wonder how people like this survive in the real world.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I want my two minutes back from reading that.

WTF is wrong with people these days. It’s a show. If you don’t like it don’t watch it. Just like people giving Rousey a hard time. If you don’t like her, don’t watch the show.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Just like people giving Rousey a hard time. If you don’t like her, don’t watch the show.

You mean Gina Carano (Kara Dune). Gina's hotter than Rousey. SJW's are attacking her on the twatterspeher, but she gives zero fu@&$ about it. I absolutely love that woman.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yeah, getting my wrestlers mixed up. lol

f&*$ the sjws. She's doing just fine and I hope they keep her character since they gave her an out in the last episode.

Was there a sjw head explosion when Chewbacca grilled up a Porg way back when? Roll Eyes

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Were those Dark Trooper suits at the end of this episode?! /faint

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post