SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Mandalorian (Disney+)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 34
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Mandalorian (Disney+) Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
It was mentioned above but all verizon unlimited customers are eligible for a free year of D+.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yup. I signed up for the free year subscription. Wife made me to it for our daughter who loves everything Disney. I would've likely taken advantage of the free subscription regardless, no doubt. My daughter though will probably watch it every single day so it'll be worth it.

I may have to check out that new Star Wars series.

ETA: Son of a bitch. Mad

Wanted to watch the original Star Wars Trilogy with my little one. Is there any way to get the unedited versions? Disney+ only has the George Lucas raped ones.

Looks like it's time to go rummaging through my dad's old VHS tapes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Balzé Halzé,

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Wanted to watch the original Star Wars Trilogy with my little one. Is there any way to get the unedited versions? Disney+ only has the George Lucas raped ones.

Nope.

You can't even buy the unraped version on disc any more.

Posts: 32427 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Seems it has a lot more for hard core fans. There’s a lot that’s hard to pick up on.

Things like - no one knows where Yoda’s species comes from and the armor made of beskar can withstand blaster fire and some light saber cuts.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I saw it tonight. It was GOOD! I was really surprised.

The only thing I did not like was the super-murder-bot. If they can make droids so lethal, humanoids would be entirely obsolete.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Nope.

Well...that's just straight up un-American.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Nope.

This is the only way, sadly:

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Just watched it. Loved it! It falls in the same class as Rogue One. I did pick up on Nick Nolte's voice right away. Good character for him.

I'm hopeful for this series. So far, it's off to a good start.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the episode, though it was short for a pilot. Also, did it strike anyone else that much of the humor happened all at once in the last ten minutes of the show? I was really enjoying the serious nature of the opening acts but then the buffoonery began and my interest started to wane.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

The only thing I did not like was the super-murder-bot. If they can make droids so lethal, humanoids would be entirely obsolete.

Assassin droids are nothing new

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
quote:

Yep. IG88 is in Empire Srikes Back.

Posts: 32427 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it. The episode felt like classic Star Wars to me.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Assassin droids

The Assassin droid in this show is IG-11, not IG-88, just like that's not Boba Fett as the main character.

IG-11

IG-11:

IG-88:

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
My problem with the 'assassin droid' is how ridiculously effective he was. If droids are capable of so much mayhem (and there really should be no reason why they could not be), why aren't they used instead of humanoids? That one droid took out over a dozen armed mooks single-handedly. Compare this level of effectiveness to the Trade Federation droid army in Episode 1. Thousands of them on an open field of battle, equipped with armored tanks and artillery, were defeated by a bunch of stupid cartoon floppy-eared bunny rabbits (Gungans).

I know I'm applying arguments of reason to a sci-fi show, but the creators of the Star Wars universe should at least try to be consistent (I know, Star Trek had its own inconsistencies, most of which I complain about as well). If droids are so capable, they should be nearly omni-present. Why even have flesh-and-blood pilots in spaceships, when droids could handle 10X the g-forces and not be burdened with providing life support (the droid in Rouge One clearly stated "I can survive in space"). . .

I thought it was a good first show, and implies tremendous promise. I never would have spent money to see this (I still haven't seen Star Trek Discovery for the same reason), but my nephew had subscribed and we watched it last night. I look forward to seeing more.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If one were to attempt to justify it in-universe, the most reasonable explanation would be something like "Droids are too rigidly locked into their programming, and incapable of improvisation/creativity/risk-taking".

IG-11 was so quick to give up and simply self-destruct once they were outnumbered and surrounded. He calculated the odds, decided it was unwinnable, and flipped on his detonator. Whereas the Mandalorian was willing to get creative, and won the day.

To tie it back into the Original Trilogy:

posted Hide Post
I really liked it but I’m so afraid that the woke Disney executives will ruin it. If I was a bounty hunter the first thing I’d buy is my own personal assassin droid. I’d just sit in my ship and let him work his magic.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
My problem with the 'assassin droid' is how ridiculously effective he was. If droids are capable of so much mayhem (and there really should be no reason why they could not be), why aren't they used instead of humanoids? That one droid took out over a dozen armed mooks single-handedly. Compare this level of effectiveness to the Trade Federation droid army in Episode 1. Thousands of them on an open field of battle, equipped with armored tanks and artillery, were defeated by a bunch of stupid cartoon floppy-eared bunny rabbits (Gungans).

I know I'm applying arguments of reason to a sci-fi show, but the creators of the Star Wars universe should at least try to be consistent (I know, Star Trek had its own inconsistencies, most of which I complain about as well). If droids are so capable, they should be nearly omni-present. Why even have flesh-and-blood pilots in spaceships, when droids could handle 10X the g-forces and not be burdened with providing life support (the droid in Rouge One clearly stated "I can survive in space"). . .

I thought it was a good first show, and implies tremendous promise. I never would have spent money to see this (I still haven't seen Star Trek Discovery for the same reason), but my nephew had subscribed and we watched it last night. I look forward to seeing more.

Remember, the droids were not meant to be effective. The Clone Wars were meant to be a long stalemate, just dragging everyone down and bogging down the Jedi and whatever resources there were. To get the clone army spread across the galaxy and convince everyone it would never end, so they would keep voting away rights and giving Palpatine more and more power in order to try and end it finally. In the end he was the Emperor, and with a snap, he had his army on all of the important worlds, already there and ready to keep everyone under his thumb, with no Jedi or opposing forces anywhere.

It took years for the Rebellion to rise up finally.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
quote:

Yep. IG88 is in Empire Srikes Back.

The one on the far right is also an assassin droid, 4-LOM

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
He's a droid, but not a purpose-built "assassin droid" like the IG series.

4-LOM was a protocol droid who, after his personality software was corrupted, reprogrammed himself to be a bounty hunter.

In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Not true. There was a DVD set released that had the original theatrical releases in it

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/d...or-the-original-cuts

I have both the vhs and dvd copy of the original theatrical releases

Back on topic. I liked the Mandalorian

quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Nope.

This is the only way, sadly:

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post