SIGforum
The Mandalorian (Disney+)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/7310088264

November 21, 2019, 10:55 AM
Anubismp
The Mandalorian (Disney+)
I agree, I'd like to see more modern city stuff but if we go with the space western concept I think they would be fewer and further between (and budgetwise pretty taxing). As well a bounty hunter would likely be less needed in a place with, even in our current world, CCTV and some form of policing force. Still I do want some of it.

As for the dozen jawa blasting
1. Ive rarely seen tactics in SW
2. if I ran outside and someone burnt down my ride I might make dumb choices too
3. I kinda thought it was played for laughs. I could be wrong on that one.

Lastly I think I actually like a formation character. Look at Bond in the more recent films that screws stuff up sometimes or kills BGs vs gathering intel and questioning as much at first. We are watching him get his cool if I understand it properly and I think thats neat if its what they are trying to do.
November 21, 2019, 10:58 AM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
Lastly I think I actually like a formation character. Look at Bond in the more recent films that screws stuff up sometimes or kills BGs vs gathering intel and questioning as much at first. We are watching him get his cool if I understand it properly and I think thats neat if its what they are trying to do.

Exactly.

This guy is still learning the ropes. He hasn't even earned his sigil yet.
November 21, 2019, 07:27 PM
corsair
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Got his ride stripped by a bunch of Jawas & uses a single shot weapon you say? What kinda Bounty hunter we dealing with exactly,lol?

He's either flawed or, learning.

Either way, as been pointed-out, he's not earned his sigil. If we had some super hero badass, it wouldn't be that interesting of a show but resemble some Marvel/Michael Bay abortion.
November 21, 2019, 08:22 PM
Hound Dog
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Got his ride stripped by a bunch of Jawas & uses a single shot weapon you say? What kinda Bounty hunter we dealing with exactly,lol?

He's either flawed or, learning.

Either way, as been pointed-out, he's not earned his sigil. If we had some super hero badass, it wouldn't be that interesting of a show but resemble some Marvel/Michael Bay abortion.

It is called "Character Development." It's understandable why so many are unfamiliar with the concept, ESPECIALLY in Star Wars, since we haven't seen any since Han renounced his 'swinging singles' days after he got thawed out from his carbonite treatment in Jedi to settle down and be part of a team (even going so far as be willing to step back to let Leia and Luke hook up if that is what would make Leia happy, despite the fact Han was in love with her).

Ever since 1983, we've had crappy CGI-fest prequels and the last two movies, which had precious perfect-in-every-way Rey who is flawless and pure and needs no training or development (as they stated in the "Pitch Meeting" videos on YouTube: "So, it's like the 'Heroes Journey' without the journey.")

I thought it was stupid to attack the Jawa fortress, but he's only 'human' and makes mistakes. Perfect flawless characters are somewhat boring, anyway, so it's nice to see them show his blemishes. And, as we progress, I'm assuming they will show him growing and learning from his past mistakes (especially since he is now responsible for 'baby Yoda').

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher
November 21, 2019, 08:41 PM
sigspecops
Putting that ship back together in the desert was unbelievable because no one was cursing or throwing things. In any time or place, no vehicle is repaired without dropping a few f bombs.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
November 21, 2019, 10:10 PM
ensigmatic
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I would watch it if it were on Netflix, Hulu or Prime, but I’m not starting down this path of everyone and their brother having their own subscription content channel.

That's my position. So, good as it sounds, I guess we'll likely never see the series Frown

(I'm here because I was just curious what folks were saying about the series.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
November 22, 2019, 02:10 AM
Prefontaine
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I would watch it if it were on Netflix, Hulu or Prime, but I’m not starting down this path of everyone and their brother having their own subscription content channel.

That's my position. So, good as it sounds, I guess we'll likely never see the series Frown

(I'm here because I was just curious what folks were saying about the series.)

They will release the entire season on disc once the season is finished. You can trust that Disney will milk the last drop of milk out of the titty just like Luke was milking tits in the last SJW Star Wars film.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
November 22, 2019, 05:26 AM
r0gue
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Putting that ship back together in the desert was unbelievable because no one was cursing or throwing things. In any time or place, no vehicle is repaired without dropping a few f bombs.

Big Grin

November 22, 2019, 09:03 AM
ensigmatic
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
They will release the entire season on disc once the season is finished.

Maybe so, but it's unlikely we'll be buying that, either. "Pig in a poke" and all that Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
November 22, 2019, 09:27 AM
Oz_Shadow
Episode 3 is out. Looks to be every Friday for this one.
November 22, 2019, 12:47 PM
Lord Vaalic
As a SW nerd, I am anxious to watch, but this not releasing them all at once just pisses me off for some reason, and I cant bring myself to sign up until they are all out

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day
November 22, 2019, 01:34 PM
PASig
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
As a SW nerd, I am anxious to watch, but this not releasing them all at once just pisses me off for some reason, and I cant bring myself to sign up until they are all out

This is how all streaming of new content to going to be soon, people are binging an entire season then cancelling and they are going to put an end to that.

November 22, 2019, 06:59 PM
Hound Dog
Just saw Ep3.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher
November 22, 2019, 07:33 PM
Orguss
Episode 3 was definitely very enjoyable! But...

What the hell is the reason stormtroopers even wear body armor?! My goodness, it's worthless.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
November 22, 2019, 08:55 PM
jsbcody
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Just saw Ep3.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep. He may have broke the Code but he was true to The Way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Mandalorian Canons of Honor:
Strength is life, for the strong have the right to rule.
Honor is life, for with no honor one may as well be dead.
Loyalty is life, for without one's clan one has no purpose.
Death is life, one should die as they have lived.

In addition there was the Resol'nare, Six Actions that comprise the core tenets of being a Mandalorian:

1. Wearing armor.
2. Speaking the language.
3. Defending yourself and your family.
4. Raising your children as Mandalorians.
5. Contributing to the clan's welfare.
6. When called upon by the Mand'alor, rallying to his cause.

Mandalorian children's rhyme:

Ba'jur, beskar'gam,
Ara'nov, aliit,
Mando'a bal Mand'alor—
An vencuyan mhi.

translated:

Education and armor,
Self-defense, our tribe,
Our language, our leader—
All help us survive.

Yeah, I am a real Star Wars nerd. I have spoken.

quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Episode 3 was definitely very enjoyable! But...

What the hell is the reason stormtroopers even wear body armor?! My goodness, it's worthless.

Think pre-body armor flak jackets. Besides the armor is more for identification and intimidation. It was basically a cheap copy of the clone war and Mandalorian armor and old Palps didn't care about troops dying. In fact the more death and suffering, the stronger the Dark Side.

Also think about this.....the armor was probably designed by a committee to do everything half ass, including stopping blaster bolts.
November 22, 2019, 11:09 PM
sigspecops
It was pretty cool to see the other Mandalorians but do they ever take off their helmet? What about eating and drinking or washing their faces? Or maybe they can only take it off in private. The armor is awesome but it would really suck to be stuck in it 24/7.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
November 23, 2019, 01:30 AM
Prefontaine
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
They will release the entire season on disc once the season is finished.

Maybe so, but it's unlikely we'll be buying that, either. "Pig in a poke" and all that Wink

I don’t buy discs, I rent them. Netflix Blu Ray program and 3D Blu Ray rental for 4k discs. both have very cheap plans, one disc at a time.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
November 23, 2019, 07:23 AM
CQB60
“Our secrecy is our survival, our survival is our strength”.

November 23, 2019, 09:48 AM
Oz_Shadow
I hate that they are only 30 minutes. Definitely leaves you ready to watch the next one.
November 23, 2019, 10:01 AM
ensigmatic
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I hate that they are only 30 minutes.

Really? How do you tell any kind of decent story in thirty minutes?

quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Definitely leaves you ready to watch the next one.

Perhaps that's their plan. Dribble 'em out, one a week, short episodes. Keep that subscribership going.