SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Mandalorian (Disney+)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 34
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Mandalorian (Disney+) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I liked it, I have spoken. I was hoping for something like the originals and it was good. Much better than the last 2 movies Disney made.

The Ig-11 part was pretty good. I liked the way he moved and a bit of comedic relief all of the movies had.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Not true. There was a DVD set released that had the original theatrical releases in it

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/d...or-the-original-cuts

Yessir indeed. I have the DVDs and the wife wonders why I won't loan them to anyone.

OT, I'll wait for the Disney content to build up before subscribing and watching.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
OT, I'll wait for the Disney content to build up before subscribing and watching.

That's a smart move. I only jumped in because I get it for free through Verizon.

Currently, the pickings are a bit slim, at least for me. I don't have little kids, so the Disney children's stuff doesn't interest me, and that's ~80% of the content right now. (But if you do have little kids, you'll get a lot of mileage out of this service right now.)

Otherwise, other than being able to rewatch the Marvel films and the cheesy TV series (Agent Carter and Agents of Shield), or rewatch the Star Wars films and the "for-kids-but-not-exclusively" TV series (Clone Wars and Rebels), The Mandalorian is really the only more mature-oriented new offering right now.

There are a number of new adult-ish Marvel series in the works, but they're set to debut over the next several years.

Also, the Disney+ software is still a bit wonky. Besides the well-publicized connection issues, it's missing some key functionality that we've come to expect from streaming services. Most notably, it doesn't track your progress in a movie/episode, or within a series. You have to remember where you left off in that series, or within that film/episode, and manually select the right episode, and manually track back to your stopping point within it. (I don't know if this is another bug, or if they've just actually left out that basic feature for some reason.)

Posts: 32427 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not true. There was a DVD set released that had the original theatrical releases in it

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

You can't even buy the unraped version on disc any more.

Not true? So you're saying I can still buy them?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/d...or-the-original-cuts

Yessir indeed. I have the DVDs and the wife wonders why I won't loan them to anyone.

Dude I bought a set of Blu-Rays thinking they were the originals. Nope. I was so pissed and still to this day. Hate Lucas's re-edits. They're awful.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
ETA: Son of a bitch. Mad

Wanted to watch the original Star Wars Trilogy with my little one. Is there any way to get the unedited versions? Disney+ only has the George Lucas raped ones.

Nope.

You can't even buy the unraped version on disc any more.

Well...that's just straight up un-American.

This is the only way, sadly:

These guys have taken the original 35mm film and scanned it into 4K

https://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/project-4k77/

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Episode 2 is out

As for content, under the search tab you will see a Disney through the Decades. It has tons of stuff I had forgotten.

The Imagineering Story was interesting but so far only one episode. A lot of old film looks to be redone.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Well? How was episode 2?

I can’t wait to watch it after my mom leaves tonight.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Well? How was episode 2?

My nephew and I loved it. We both now want our own baby yodas. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Well? How was episode 2?

My nephew and I loved it. We both now want our own baby yodas. . .

Me too. Probably be a huge holiday item.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I like it so far.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm digging it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Just watched the first episode today and was pleasantly surprised. It looks great, special effects are good and the storyline seems to be free of any Disney-mandated SJW bullshit so far.

Very reminiscent of Rogue One or even Empire/ROTJ.

Almost like a futuristic Western really, you could almost imagine a young Clint Eastwood under that armor.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Almost like a futuristic Western really, you could almost imagine a young Clint Eastwood under that armor.

Yep. They're clearly going for the Western feel. Everything from the plot to the settings to the cinematography to the music.

Posts: 32427 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've really enjoyed it so far. Favreau and Filoni could really be the saviors of the franchise. I appreciate the abundance of easter eggs in the first episode, I mean Life Day? Like the Holiday Special?

I really appreciate the gritty, older feel to things. George Lucas wanted to create a futuristic galaxy that felt old, like it's been around a really long time.

Only one thing has bugged me. What I don't get is the tracking fob. This begs the question that at some time they had the bounty to pair to a tracking fob or am I missing something?

Posts: 715 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After watching two episodes, I have to say this Mandalorian seems to be a barely competent bounty hunter. He got his ship stripped, got his ass handed to him by a bunch of Jawas and then by the big horn animal in the cave, and IG-11 seems a much more effective fighter. To be fair, Boba Fett wasn’t much better in the original trilogy (even though he wasn’t actually a Mandalorian; he just wore the armor), but the title character doesn’t seems nearly as badass as I expected.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
After watching two episodes, I have to say this Mandalorian seems to be a barely competent bounty hunter. He got his ship stripped, got his ass handed to him by a bunch of Jawas and then by the big horn animal in the cave, and IG-11 seems a much more effective fighter. To be fair, Boba Fett wasn’t much better in the original trilogy (even though he wasn’t actually a Mandalorian; he just wore the armor), but the title character doesn’t seems nearly as badass as I expected.

Really? He’s not an invincible superhero, is that what you were expecting?

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dude dont show off your unraped star wars VHSs, Lucas has a IG-11 inbound on your place!

I am enjoying the series so far. And sadly this renewed me wanting a not particularly easy to find Bergmann 1894. I think its taking off well and has some really good potential.

As far as why not send murder droids everywhere, I think if we ported this to real life it would be like the drones only vs HUMINT boots on the ground thing. Theres stuff only people can do and pick up on. I think it would be a great tool for alot of missions though.

I'm looking forward to the season and hope no SJW BS finds its way in. I havent picked up on alot of that in Faveraus stuff in the past so hopefully he can keep it on course.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
And sadly this renewed me wanting a not particularly easy to find Bergmann 1894.

Good luck with that... There were fewer than 30 made in total, and only a handful of known examples remain. (Around a half dozen.)

So "not particularly easy to find" is an understatement. Wink

But funnily enough, one of the few surviving 1894s (serial #8) just sold at auction in Germany earlier this week. It went for 24,000 Euros, which is around $26,500:

https://www.hermann-historica....uctions/lot/id/35290

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:

Really? He’s not an invincible superhero, is that what you were expecting?

Someone who doesn’t get his ass kicked by a dozen Jawas.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post