SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Mandalorian (Disney+)
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 34
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Mandalorian (Disney+) Login/Join 
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
^^ Katee was a great choice for that role.

Looking forward to the reveal of the next character.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Family are big BSG fans, and both kids + myself Rebels and Clone wars fans. Wife loves Katee and they really nailed her Clone wars/rebel character with this. Pretty good quick episode, be glad to see her get more depth in a spinoff (in the works supposedly)

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Much better episode, starting to move the story forward.

A few observations:

* Razor Crest should be junked and replaced. Space craft aren't designed for impact and shock, much less getting dunked into water, however, this is the SW universe so... Roll Eyes
* The Clone Wars and its characters are taking on a bigger role in the live cannon SW Universe. Low key way to minimize the SW ep.7, 8 & 9 movies and characters?
* Bo-Katan Kryze was a nice surprise, we know Ashoka Tano will be a central character, any chance Sabine Wren and Ezra Bridger play a part....season 3 perhaps?
* Nice development of Mandalorian culture; Din Djarin is a member of the Death Watch (Watch on the show)...is he a purist or, a zealot?

Reactions are fun

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Din Djarin is a member of the Death Watch (Watch on the show)...is he a purist or, a zealot?

A Child of The Watch. He was raised to be a pure zealot or a zealous puritan. Wink

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
And Harry Bosch!

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Everyone in that reaction video freaking out over Ahsoka Tano, but people need to remember she was last seen approximately 30 years before the events in the Mandalorian. She'll be middle age for her race.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I may be me and my advanced age but I'm finding season 2 much less appealing / inspiring / interesting / etc. than season 1. Whatever.....

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahsoka was last seen in the finale of Rebels (4 years ABY)when her and Sabine go to look for Ezra. She would be about 41 during the events on the Mandalorian.

quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Everyone in that reaction video freaking out over Ahsoka Tano, but people need to remember she was last seen approximately 30 years before the events in the Mandalorian. She'll be middle age for her race.

Posts: 715 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given that most of what people know about the Mandalorians is from the Clone Wars and Rebels animated series, it’s not surprising at all that known characters from those series would pop up in the new show, especially given the revelation of the Darksabre at the end of Season 1. Also, by making Din Djarin as having been raised a specific Mandalorian sect, it explains why he wouldn’t remove his helmet, when it was clear from the previous series that Mandalorians in general have no problems removing their helmets.

It seems time to put the Razor Crest out of its misery. It’s so beat up that it’s not even funny, and it seems unlikely to ever get back to its Season 1 form.

At the end, when Baby Yoda was playing around the the Frog couple’s new tadpole, was anyone else expecting that he was going to try to pop it into his mouth, and surprised that he didn’t?

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever happened to Boba Fett's ship Slave 1? Hmm..an episode where Mando finds that ship and it replaces the Razors Crest? Just throwing that out there.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3524 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
How's this for fan service. Din Djarin somehow acquires the Millennium Falcon...

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
At the end, when Baby Yoda was playing around the the Frog couple’s new tadpole, was anyone else expecting that he was going to try to pop it into his mouth, and surprised that he didn’t?

SPOILER AHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Baby Yoda learned a lesson, when he was on the ship and got swallowed up in his crib...aka "egg". It was his turn to be the egg and food.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peanut71:
Ahsoka was last seen in the finale of Rebels (4 years ABY)when her and Sabine go to look for Ezra. She would be about 41 during the events on the Mandalorian.

Which is middle age for her race...

quote:
Originally posted by Windhover:
How's this for fan service. Din Djarin somehow acquires the Millennium Falcon...

Not a possibility. It's in Han's possession around the time of the show, until it was stolen and passed hands between various thieves until it was recovered on Jakku.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Whatever happened to Boba Fett's ship Slave 1? Hmm..an episode where Mando finds that ship and it replaces the Razors Crest? Just throwing that out there.

Not if Disney wants to set up a Boba Fett spin-off series.

In a separate note: This last episode was titled "Heiress," with everyone thinking Bo Katan. Sure, but the director of "Heiress" was Bryce Dallas Howard, daughter of actor/director Ron Howard. We see what you did there Master Filoni and Darth Favreau.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Windhover:

Oh, God, I hope not.

The reason for the huge success of The Mandalorian, IMO, is that it is FRESH and NEW. One of the main reasons the last two Star Wars movies sucked so badly, IMO, is that they kept trying to dig into 'nostalgia' and kept dragging in the original trilogy characters.

I honestly geeked out when I saw the Falcon in Ep 7, but they needed to move on and let the new cast develop without constantly being propped up by the original (old) cast. Han, Leia, and Luke never should have played such major roles in the last 3 movies (and don't even get me started on c3po - I really HATE that character by now, since they crammed him into 10 freaking movies) (eps 1-9 + Rogue One).

Mando is great as it is. We are seeing really new aspects of the SW universe that we haven't seen before. Now, bringing back Boba Fett is ok with me, since he had all of 5 minutes of screen time in 2 movies, and was such a popular character that they resurrected him after his supposed death in Jedi. I wouldn't even mind if they had Mando steal/acquire Slave 1 (the Razor Crest is only good for junk now, and it bugs me that they pretend that ship can still survive in space). I haven't seen more than 2 Clone Wars episodes, but it should be cool to see Ahsoka (whatever her name is).

If they were to 'bring back' aspects of the original cast (and for all practical purposes, the Falcon is a cast member), I think it would ruin the formula for Mandalorian. I'm tired of seeing the same old stuff - keep giving us really new content and move the universe forward instead of constantly looking backwards.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:

Not if Disney wants to set up a Boba Fett spin-off series.

In a separate note: This last episode was titled "Heiress," with everyone thinking Bo Katan. Sure, but the director of "Heiress" was Bryce Dallas Howard, daughter of actor/director Ron Howard. We see what you did there Master Filoni and Darth Favreau.

Noticed that.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
If they were to 'bring back' aspects of the original cast (and for all practical purposes, the Falcon is a cast member), I think it would ruin the formula for Mandalorian. I'm tired of seeing the same old stuff - keep giving us really new content and move the universe forward instead of constantly looking backwards.

Agreed.
The SW Universe is massive, full of stories and characters waiting to be brought to the live-screen. The sequels failure is they tried to make something new, without following the structure and boundaries that Lucas set, and generally bad movie-making layered on top. To further antagonize the fans, the animated series of Clones and Rebels had fleshed-out and fully developed a rich archive of complex stories and character arcs, yet the sequels flushed it all away in an effort 'to be new and fresh' while unnecessarily bringing back former characters, fan-service, implausible stories and clumsy directing.

It's rumored within various fan-circles, that, while Disney will not outright say the sequels were failures from both a financial and canon perspective, The Mandalorian and the other series' to follow, will run it's timelines parallel to the sequels and eventually, making the stories in those movies obsolete.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

One word: Jawas Smile

Simply nothing left for anyone to find...

Posts: 184 | Registered: September 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gocad:
quote:

One word: Jawas Smile

Simply nothing left for anyone to find...

Well, there was a power vacuum in place when the Empire fell, as seen in Season 2 Ep 1 "The Marshal." Thugs moved into that mining town and took over.

It's likely the same thing happened, on a much reduced scale (relevant to Tatooine and maybe the gangster world in general) when Jabba died. It is entirely likely somebody or some group tried to move in and fill that power vacuum (Jabba had a large criminal enterprise). Either rival gangs, a surviving gang member at Jabba's palace, etc. It's unlikely that everybody who worked for him went "Oh, Jabba's dead; guess I'll take up a newspaper route." He had a very lucrative gang empire, so somebody would have tried to take it over.

Now, I assume Slave 1 was either at a space port such as Mos Eisley (bad idea), or perhaps more likely, at a space port right adjacent to, and controlled by, Jabba's palace. Once news got back that Jabba and most of the bigwigs there died, it was likely a free-for-all, with everybody left behind and alive trying to steal whatever wasn't nailed down. This would include a very capable space ship (like raiding the garage of a murdered gang kingpin to steal his Ferraris and Lambos). Unless somebody immediately clamped down and took control (and I doubt Jabba had a 'vice president'), somebody almost certainly would have stolen Slave 1.

We saw that the torture droid from Jabba's palace (the one that assigned R2 to the slave barge) ended up tending bar at The Cantina (Season 1 episode "The Gunslinger") (also, some claim the 'eyeball droid' from Jabba's palace ended up working for the Client in Season 1. So, there were some survivors). Heck, that shifty SOB may have stolen/hocked Slave 1 for all we know - he was a droid, but he had power and position. Somehow, in the past 5 years, his fortunes declined and he ended up tending bar (or does he own it, since the previous barkeep HATED droids?).

Either way, unless Boba Fett was able to return immediately to civilization after being ingested, his ship would have been long gone.

We still don't know how the Jawas got his armor. Maybe he traded it to them for safe passage out of the desert after he escaped from the Sarlac pit. Maybe he sold it for drink money. . . We may never know (hear that, Disney? It IS possible to keep some secrets and NOT explain every single little detail).

I doubt they are going to bring back Slave 1 unless it's owned by Boba. The directors of The Mandalorian have demonstrated that they have learned from the failures of past SW movies. Sure, I like 'fan service,' but in subtle ways - like showing the Tuscan Raiders using the binocs in Season 2 Ep 1 The Marshal that Mando traded to them for safe passage in S1 Ep 5 The Gunslinger. This entire show is an Easter Egg hunter's dream, and there are many subtle reference that I never noticed at all until reading about them later (I didn't recognize the torture droid working the bar the first time I saw it). But, bringing such a major character, droid, or ship in from the original 9-movie timeline would be too much for me.

I am amazed at how good this series is. Hopefully, this is a sign of things to come. After the failure of Ep8, the Disney people tried to say the world has "Star Wars Fatigue." There is no such thing. It is "Crappy Writing Fatigue." Mando has shown just fine that we are NOT tired of the Star Wars universe at all, and there are virtually unlimited directions new shows can take, if they don't 'Disnify' it all and ruin it.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One aspect (among others Wink ) I liked about the last episode ist that they didn't get crazy wit lots of aliens we haven't seen before, but rather populated the port with Quarren and Mon Calamari.

Posts: 184 | Registered: September 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post