SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Guitar Players—Your Second Five
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guitar Players—Your Second Five Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
There have been threads in the past that asked for your favorite guitar players (nobody agrees on “best,” so why even try). I’m almost certain that I started one of these threads.

In an attempt to try something different, how about those that just miss being in your list of 5 favorite guitar players—your second five. Don’t even mention your 5 favorites.

Without overthinking it. Here are 5 more that I like, in no particular order:
Keith Richards
Stephen Stills
Joe Bonamassa
David Hidalgo
Kenny Wayne Shepherd

Posts: 13253 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Terry Kath

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
Terry Kath

Fortunate to have seen him live before he died.

Posts: 13253 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ooh...tough one.

Lemme see...In no particular order, and without giving it too much thought, I would say:

Ronnie Earl
Freddie King
Brian May
Eric Johnson
Coco Montoya

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Bill Kirchen
BB King
Dave Rawlings (He might be in the top five)
Scott Nygard
Richard Thompson

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
Ooh...tough one.

Lemme see...In no particular order, and without giving it too much thought, I would say:

Ronnie Earl
Coco Montoya

Nice. I see that Montoya is yet another left hander who learned to play by turning a right-handed guitar upside-down—the 1st string is on the top and the 6th on the bottom. Doyle Bramhall II, who I also admire plays this way, along with many other—famously, Albert King.

I’ll do more listening of both

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Bill Kirchen
BB King
Scott Nygard
Richard Thompson

I didn’t know I was seeing him, but I have seen Bill Kirchen live as well. I saw Commander Cody in a small venue back when I was wild and young. One of the backup singers kept staring at me through the show. I was too shy or stupid (or both) to do anything about it. Still a fond memory.

Dave Rawlings I’m familiar with, but not Scott Nygaard. I always admired Norman Blake for flatpicking and saw him in a small venue once as well.

I didn’t think of Richard Thompson when I posted my second five—he’s brilliant. If you haven’t already, check out Teddy Thompson, son of Richard and Linda.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
SRV
James Hetfield
Ritchie Blackmore
Malcolm Young
John Petrucci

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Bill Kirchen
BB King
Scott Nygard
Richard Thompson

I didn’t know I was seeing him, but I have seen Bill Kirchen live as well. I saw Commander Cody in a small venue back when I was wild and young. One of the backup singers kept staring at me through the show. I was too shy or stupid (or both) to do anything about it. Still a fond memory.

Dave Rawlings I’m familiar with, but not Scott Nygaard. I always admired Norman Blake for flatpicking and saw him in a small venue once as well.

I didn’t think of Richard Thompson when I posted my second five—he’s brilliant. If you haven’t already, check out Teddy Thompson, son of Richard and Linda.

I saw Kirchen at the Gruene Hall in Gruene Texas, a legendary honky tonk. No cover charge. Amazing.

Nygaard is a tremendous flatpicker. He has played in Ricky Skaggs' Kentucky Thunder, and other equally high-powered bluegrass, newgrass, and traditional flatpicking acts. Blake is good, but Nygard is a better picker. He is at least as good as Tony Rice - maybe better.

Lots of people don't think of Thompson as a guitarist, because he is a complete package as a musician, but he is a very fine player.

Your post made me dig out some Kenny Wayne Shepherd. I hadn't played it in a while.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find the "this guy is the greatest" topic to be a bit silly. There is no quantifiable way to determine this. Nevertheless the premise here intrigues me. So here's the names of a few top notch, highly trained, and amazing guitarists you may or may not have heard of.

Adam Miller
Pierre Bensusan
Tommy Emmanuel
Phil Keaggy
Julian Lage

For what it's worth, I've had the pleasure of personally meeting each of these fine players.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3479 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redwood25:
I find the "this guy is the greatest" topic to be a bit silly. There is no quantifiable way to determine this. Nevertheless the premise here intrigues me. So here's the names of a few top notch, highly trained, and amazing guitarists you may or may not have heard of.

Adam Miller
Pierre Bensusan
Tommy Emmanuel
Phil Keaggy
Julian Lage

For what it's worth, I've had the pleasure of personally meeting each of these fine players.

Familiar with Tommy Emmanuel and Phil Keaggy. I’ll check the others out. Thanks

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redwood25:

Adam Miller
Pierre Bensusan
Tommy Emmanuel
Phil Keaggy
Julian Lage

I've seen Emmanuel live. He certainly isn't as well known, but his technical virtuosity is unmatched. Aside from being amazing technically, he also plays very musically. He is a favorite of mine.

Bensusan plays beautifully.

I don't know Lage or Miller. Thanks.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kenny Wayne Shepherd

is often overlooked, and is great!

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
Terry Kath
Fortunate to have seen him live before he died.
saw him in the seventies... awesome concert.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
2/1/18 Update - I read the OP wrong - the ones below are my top 5.

Out of many, here are my 5 good ones.

Leslie West
Alvin Lee
Pete Townsend
Jimmy Page
Eric Clapton

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mikeyspizza,

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Johnny Winter
Derek Trucks
Steve Morse
Jeff Skunk Baxter
Eric Clapton (sorry he's not in my top 5)

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch 2340:
Eric Clapton (sorry he's not in my top 5)

Just make a good Act of Contrition, go forth and sin no more Big Grin

posted Hide Post
In no particular order:

Billy Gibbons
Buddy Whittington
Lowell George
Leo Kottke
Roy Buchanan

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Slash
Robin Trower
Vince Gill
Johnny Lange
Brian May

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to add:
Jims Hendrix
Mick Taylor
Chet Atkins
Buddy Guy
Chuck Berry as my 2nd 5.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post