SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - The Lost World.

Other relatively obscure novels of Doyle's that I'd suggest are Sir Nigel and The White Company. Both are fantastic.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to start up glen cook's black company again.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I finished "Orphan X" and I thought it was a great read.

quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:

quote:
Just finished "Orphan X" by Greg Hurwitz on audible, narrated by Scott Brick. Phenomenal! I immediately downloaded the next in the series "The Nowhere Man" which so far is even better.

Evan Smoake makes Mitch Rapp look like a fucking Girl Scout.

I just picked up Orphan X this past week. It seemed like the kind of story I'd be interested in. I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to start reading it, though. I liked Gregg Hurwitz's previous series with DUSM Tim Rackley. I was torn between Orphan X and starting Mark Greaney's Gray Man series. I'll probably end up checking out the Gray Man series before too long.

I finished Nowhere Man today and I can't wait for the next book in this series. Set up very well for the next one.

I couldn't get enough of Gregg Hurwitz so I downloaded "Survivor", also narrarted by Scott Brick. Great reviews. I'm on a 10-12 hour road trip tomorrow so I'm looking forward to getting lost in that.

I've read the Gray Man series too and enjoyed them.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
FWIW, I finished "Orphan X" and I thought it was a great read.

quote:
quote:

quote:
Just finished "Orphan X" by Greg Hurwitz on audible, narrated by Scott Brick. Phenomenal! I immediately downloaded the next in the series "The Nowhere Man" which so far is even better.

Evan Smoake makes Mitch Rapp look like a fucking Girl Scout.

I just picked up Orphan X this past week. It seemed like the kind of story I'd be interested in. I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to start reading it, though. I liked Gregg Hurwitz's previous series with DUSM Tim Rackley. I was torn between Orphan X and starting Mark Greaney's Gray Man series. I'll probably end up checking out the Gray Man series before too long.

I finished Nowhere Man today and I can't wait for the next book in this series. Set up very well for the next one.

I couldn't get enough of Gregg Hurwitz so I downloaded "Survivor", also narrarted by Scott Brick. Great reviews. I'm on a 10-12 hour road trip tomorrow so I'm looking forward to getting lost in that.

I've read the Gray Man series too and enjoyed them.

Having read both the grey man and first two of orphan x. I much preferred "I am pilgrim" by terry hayes. Orphan x was a great read, and has the good making of an execelent serial.

I am finisging up book 2 of Ark Royal by c.g.nuttal, then fight or flight by scott meyers. I finisged the first 3 walt longmire books in the last two weeks. Great reads, execelent dialog.

Then i may revisit the black company books by glen coom again. It has been a few years.

For another recomendation. "The lightbringer" series by brent weeks is a wide and fully developed universe. Just outstanding.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Brotherhood of Warriors by Aaron Cohen

Autobiography of a spoiled Beverly Hills rich kid who immigrated to Israel and joined an IDF Special Operations unit.

https://www.amazon.com/Brother...rorism/dp/0061236160

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Having finally, a year ago, moved from my trusty old flip phone to a smart phone, I discovered a Kindle app for it. I've been making using of that during my daily public transit ordeal. They had some classics available for next to nothing, so I've been reading some of those:

War Of The Worlds
Journey To The Center Of The Earth
Dracula

Next up is 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Having finally, a year ago, moved from my trusty old flip phone to a smart phone, I discovered a Kindle app for it. I've been making using of that during my daily public transit ordeal. They had some classics available for next to nothing, so I've been reading some of those:

War Of The Worlds
Journey To The Center Of The Earth
Dracula

Next up is 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

I use audible, Now with about 600 titles from them and about 1k in previous titles. I like the audio format. I can listen and work.

posted Hide Post
"Devil in the White City", by Erik Larson - a historical account of the Columbian Exposition in Chicago and of a prolific serial killer.

Also, "Longitude", by Dava Sobel - the discovery of how to accurately navigate to any point via the chronometer creations of one man, and his decades long struggle for recognition.

Erik Larson does a great job of uncovering history and making it easy and enjoyable to read. The connections between various characters and events is extremely well done.

"Longitude" is a short book and an interesting read. The movie/series is a bit long but excellent and well worth the watch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longitude_(TV_series)

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Just finished David Baldacci's The Fix and Jeffrey Deaver's The Burial Hour. Both were up to their respective authors' usual high standards. Baldacci seemed to wander a bit in the middle, but ended up very nicely. And I always enjoy a Lincoln Rhyme novel from Deaver.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I finished Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose, a great read on the Lewis and Clark expedition. A young friend read it, too, and gifted me another Ambrose book, "Nothing Like It in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad".

I like his style of writing, the chronological order is great.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Choirboys.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 617 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Met this gentleman, Shilo Harris, in Knoxville at a Veterans Conf. His book - Steel Will
https://www.christianbook.com/...yjM2AnOGQhoCwLjw_wcB
Your pages may get a little wet, fair warning. Next on my list Le Morte d'Arthur. Move never gotten around to it.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm reading "Riders of the Purple Sage" by Zane Grey, a copy printed in 1940 which I bought last week on Amazon, and identical to the book I checked out from the Library in 1962.

As an aside, I worked with his grand-daughter in San Francisco about 30 years ago.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
"The Death of Expertise" by Tom Nichols.

Anyone who has ever dealt with a troll online or in person will appreciate it.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Just last night finished "The Day the Cowboys Quit," Elmer Kelton

Before that: "Empire of the Summer Moon; Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches

Kind of in a Texas mood I guess

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Bought Eric Van Lustbader's Fallen. Damn it. It's the second installment of a trilogy. I need to read Testament first. OH AMAZON!!!!

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare is quite enjoyable, about a group backed by Churchill during WWII responsible for development of new types of munitions used and for secret sabotage and assassination missions undertaken. Many in the British leadership opposed the creation of the group because they didn't want to fight a "dishonorable" war.

It's amazing all we don't know about history.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
A former landlord tipped me to The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie.
I completed that "First Law" trilogy, now I'm on to another story set in that fantasy world.

Waiting for the next Daniel Silva Gabriel Allon novel out in July.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just re-read 1984 by George Orwell. Great read and terrifyingly relevant

Posts: 176 | Location: Rochester NY | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Erick85:
The Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson.
If you enjoyed that, I can recommend Dead Wake by Larson. Much better than Devil in the White City.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DMF,

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post