SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Working my way through the Longmire series by Craig Johnson, also just ordered Tools of Titans by Tim Ferris, I listen to his podcasts regularly and am looking forward to that one

Posts: 1702 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M1racle at Belleau Wood The Birth of the Modern U.S. Marine Corps.

Confederate Waterloo The Battle of Five Forks, April 1, 1865 and the Controversy that Brought Down a General.

Three Days In January Dwight Eisenhower's Final Mission

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
After watching a movie about Hemingway, I realized I had never read any of his books. I immediately hit up Amazon for a single book with "The Sun Also Rises", "For Whom the Bell Tolls", "A Farewell to Arms", and "The Old Man and the Sea". I quickly jumped into TSAR.

Holy cow, it sucks. Frown Sure, the dialog between characters is pretty good, but I just can't put myself in with these hedonistic, spoiled jerks. I'm pretty certain Brett Ashley has BPD.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
After watching a movie about Hemingway, I realized I had never read any of his books. I immediately hit up Amazon for a single book with "The Sun Also Rises", "For Whom the Bell Tolls", "A Farewell to Arms", and "The Old Man and the Sea". I quickly jumped into TSAR.

Holy cow, it sucks. Frown Sure, the dialog between characters is pretty good, but I just can't put myself in with these hedonistic, spoiled jerks. I'm pretty certain Brett Ashley has BPD.

Yeah, I didn't like TSAR either, but For Whom the Bell Tolls is one of my favorite books. Give it a try.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Naval Battles of the First World War be Geoffrey Bennett. Written from the Royal Navy point of view.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Currently reading The Fall of Hyperion.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Persian Fire by Tom Holland.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
Currently reading Armada, by Ernest Cline.

Prior to that, the recent list looks like this:

Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline
The Men Who Killed the Luftwaffe, by Jay A. Stout
The Aviators, by Winston Groom
Lords of the Sky, by Dan Hampton
Terror of the Autumn Skies, by Blaine Pardoe
Skunk Works, by Leo Janos & Ben R. Rich
Washington's Immortals, by Patrick K. O'Donnell
Fighter Pilot, by Christina Olds, Ed Rasimus, & Robin Olds
Masters of the Air, by Donald L. Miller

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Currently reading "Tank - The Progress of A Monstrous War Machine" By Patrick Wright.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently reading With the Old Breed by E.B Sledge.

Recently finished .303 No4(T) Sniper Rifle: An Armourer's Perspective by Peter Laidler and Ian Skennerten, Petty: The Biography by Warren Zanes and Spitfire Mark 1 P9374 by Andy Saunders.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ronnied316:
Currently reading Armada, by Ernest Cline.

Prior to that, the recent list looks like this:

Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline
The Men Who Killed the Luftwaffe, by Jay A. Stout
The Aviators, by Winston Groom
Lords of the Sky, by Dan Hampton
Terror of the Autumn Skies, by Blaine Pardoe
Skunk Works, by Leo Janos & Ben R. Rich
Washington's Immortals, by Patrick K. O'Donnell
Fighter Pilot, by Christina Olds, Ed Rasimus, & Robin Olds
Masters of the Air, by Donald L. Miller
Based on this list I can recommend a few more you might like:

1. The Hunter Killers - Dan Hampton
2. I Always Wanted To Fly - Colonel Wolfgang WE Samuel
3. Target Tokyo - James M. Scott
4. The Wright Brothers - David McCollough
5. The Forgotten 500: The Untold Story of the Men Who Risked All for the Greatest Rescue Mission of World War II - Gregory Freeman
6. The Wild Blue - by Stephen Ambrose

Out of print, but excellent if you can find copies (possibly as a Kindle edition?):
1. The Ravens: The Men Who Flew in America's Secret War in Laos - Christopher Robbins
2. Into the Mouth of the Cat: The Story of Lance Sijan, Hero of Vietnam - Malcolm McConnell

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
Thanks DMF, I'll check them out!

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
just started reading 'The Archaeology of Ancient Arizona' by Reid and Whittlesey

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Leonidas: if you're still looking, I bought Philip Hamburger's Is Administrative Law Unlawful? as a Kindle book on Amazon.

This specific book is in the news now as a Judge Posner has accused Neil Gorsuch of being "a Hamburgerian", which I think would be high praise.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:

I'm with ya. Last year I first read "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and then jumped right into "The Old Man and the Sea." Both were pretty decent. Glad I read them but not sure I will ever read them again. Then I picked up "The Sun Also Rises" and could only make it about 1/3 of the way through the book before I had to dump it.

Just finished reading "Animal Farm" as I had never read it before and my oldest son has to read it over the summer. Before that was "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis

Not sure what my next book will be. I went to the local used book store this weekend with a few ideas in mind but they didn't have any of them. I don't like getting books from the library as I always feel rushed with the 2 week check-out time. I know I can renew the checkout if no one is on a waiting list, but it just seems to make reading seem like a chore that I have to get through instead of something I can enjoy.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished The Iliad by Homer. Not sure what's next. Leaving for Florida in a few days and have to pick something up for my layover in Atlanta.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
Just finished The Iliad by Homer.

In Latin, or a translation? Smile

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

A Latin version would also be a translation... The Iliad was originally in Greek. Wink

μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος
οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί' Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε' ἔθηκε,
πολλὰς δ' ἰφθίμους ψυχὰς Ἄϊδι προί̈αψεν
ἡρώων, αὐτοὺς δὲ ἑλώρια τεῦχε κύνεσσιν
οἰωνοῖσί τε πᾶσι, Διὸς δ' ἐτελείετο βουλή,
ἐξ οὗ δὴ τὰ πρῶτα διαστήτην ἐρίσαντε
Ἀτρεί̈δης τε ἄναξ ἀνδρῶν καὶ δῖος Ἀχιλλεύς.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

Translated. My Dad has it in Greek but I lost that skill many years ago.
My Grandfather was from Greece and when he died in 2001, I lost interest in speaking and reading.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The Sympathizer: A Novel
by Viet Thanh Nguyen

This is a recent Pulitzer Prize winner about a young Vietnamese army officer who fled Vietnam when South Vietnam collapsed.

It is very, very good.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post