SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I just finished:
Neptune's Inferno: The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal by James Hornfischer

and

Operation Mincemeat: How a Dead Man and a Bizarre Plan Fooled the Nazis and Assured an Allied Victor by Ben McIntyre

I just started:
Supreme Commander: The War Years of Dwight D. Eisenhower by Stephen Ambrose

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
As I've said before on these threads, if you like audiobooks and/or e-books, and are using Audible/iTunes and Kindle, you also need to check out the Overdrive app.

It lets you borrow audiobooks and ebooks from public libraries for free. You will have to visit the library one time to get a library card, if you don't already have one, but after that you never need to physically visit the library.

I used to use two credits a month on Audible, but now only use 6 credits a year. If you contact customer service they will put you on a plan to get one credit every other month, instead of one each month.

It's very rare that I can't get the books I want through the libraries I belong to, and I'm saving $186 each year, just on Audible. I've never tried to calculate a cost savings for Kindle books v. ebooks through Overdrive.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
As I've said before on these threads, if you like audiobooks and/or e-books, and are using Audible/iTunes and Kindle, you also need to check out the Overdrive app.

The Yavapai County library system uses Overdrive. When I read on an iPad, I had to use the app, and specify the format as EPUB eBook. Now with a Kindle, it is all built in. I just check out a book as a Kindle Book. Their ebook system is yln.overdrive.com, so it is Overdrive based. I don't do audio books. I do like real books, though, too, so I keep a waiting list populated with the latest of my favorites at the Library of Congress (Yavapai branch in Congress). Check outs are limited to 3 weeks. For a physical book, I can keep it a few days beyond and they don't care, and don't fine. Ebooks I can have 6 checked out at any time, but when the 3 weeks is up, they just disappear.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Ghost Rider by Neil Peart.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
The Last Gunfight - Jeff Guinn

Posts: 3997 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A learning experience, CG nuttal.

If i did not go through 12 books (credits on audible) a month i might put up with the local library systems requirements for audio books.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:

This is waiting to be read. I've also read two of the Cash McLendon trilogy, probably need to purchase "Silver City".

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The Maltese Falcon--Hammett

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:

I will have to check that one out. Another non-fiction gunfight book is American Gunfight by Stephen Hunter. It details the plot to assassinate President Truman by a group of Puerto Ricon nationalists. Truman was staying at Blair House at the time. The gunfight went a long way to encouraging the Secret Service to switch away from revolvers. The timeline of the entire book spans less than two minutes.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Just started the Game of Thrones books.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ibexsig:
Dark Sun by Richard Rhodes. History of the making of the hydrogen bomb. Great book, but it makes my blood boil about how easy it was for the Russians to get our nuclear secrets. It literally took years off the time it was going to take the Soviets to build their own bomb.
The descriptions of the power of the thermonuclear bomb are some of the scariest things I have ever read.

I'm reading Rhodes The Making of the Atomic Bomb. Certainly well researched, but it has a tendency to get lost in the weeds, and his political bias is a little too apparent.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Faulkner's Absalom Absalom. and picked back up Capstick's Death in the Long Grass. I had made it up to Cape Buffalo and got distracted.

Read Fleming up through The Spy Who Loved Me and needed a break because it was mostly garbage.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YellowJacket,

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:
..... and "The poor of habit" I highly recommend both books

For anybody else trying to search, I'm pretty sure OP meant "power of habit".

quote:
"Everything they did not teach you at Harvard business school"

eta - also "What they don't teach you at Harvard Business school"

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Just starting "Vital Abyss". It's the last released novella from the expanse series.

From what I can tell, once that's done I'll have read everything from that series so far. Will have to wait until later this year for anything new. Frown

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
The Chosen Few about the battle of Wanat.
One of our deputies is on the cover.

Posts: 590 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently re-reading Ed Lovette's The Snubby Revolver for the umpteenth time.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:

Based on this list I can recommend a few more you might like:

1. The Hunter Killers - Dan Hampton

Just finished The Hunter Killers. Thanks for the recommendation, I REALLY enjoyed it!

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Been on an old Forgotten Realms kick lately

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Been on an old Forgotten Realms kick lately

I loved those back in junior high and high school. Had a whole slew of them that my parents tossed when I moved out.

In addition to the novels, the various "Realms of ..." anthology books were always good for quick, light reads. I used to read a story or two in bed before falling asleep.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finished drew hayes 3 NPC books.

Working on John Scalzi's old mans war.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post