SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Finished drew hayes 3 NPC books.

I just started NPCs (the first book). I got it for free from an Audible giveaway about a year ago, and has been sitting in my library.

It's held my interesting so far, but seems a bit amateurish.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ronnied316:
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:

Based on this list I can recommend a few more you might like:

1. The Hunter Killers - Dan Hampton

Just finished The Hunter Killers. Thanks for the recommendation, I REALLY enjoyed it!
I'm glad you liked it.

Hopefully you'll have time to check out some of the others I mentioned, as I think you'll enjoy those too.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Just finished T.E Lawrence's Thesis on Crusader Castles.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2255 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Killer Elite, by Michael Smith. It's about the US Army's, and later JSOC's, Intelligence Support Activity, or whatever they're calling it now. So far, it's a very interesting read.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
I'm almost finished with Shattered - the story of Hillary's campaign. My next book is "Killed in Action". It's about eyewitness accounts of the last moments of 100 Union soldiers at the battle of Gettysburg.

BTW, discussion like this are the main reason I joined this forum. Sure I like talking guns and shooting but this forum also covers a wide range of topics.

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
One Soldier's War- Arkady Babchenko. Russian soldier in Chechnya.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
I just finished Enemies Foreign and Domestic by Matthew Bracken, and have started Wool by Hugh Howey. That one kept popping up on the Amazon, sounded like a novel about living in a Vault from Fallout, so I kept my eye on it, and then the Kindle version went on sale so I thought, "why not? lets give it a try." And I did, and it is good.

quote:
Audible needs a way to copy and paste. 25 books in the last 2 months. Marko kloos series being some of the better ones. The latest two starwars books being the biggest pieces of shit i have had the displeasure of slogging through.

I just keep track myself with a Word file. Last year I only go around to reading 23 books.

1) Eon - Greg Bear
2) The Secret Speech - Tom Rob Smith
3) The Last King of Scotland - Giles Foden
4) Tortilla Flat - John Steinbeck
5) Matterhorn - Karl Marlantes
6) Kill the Irishman - Rick Porrello
7) American Gods - Neil Gaiman
8) The Black Echo - Michael Connelly
9) The Man with the Iron Heart - Harry Turtledove
10) Lamb - Christopher Moore
11) Lost Soldiers - James Webb
12) The Forever War - Dexter Filkins
13) The Black Ice - Michael Connelly
14) Homo Zapiens - Victor Pelevin
15) In the Graveyard of Empires - Seth G. Jones
16) President Me - Adam Carolla
17) In Pharoah's Army - Tobias Wolff
18) Level 7 - Mordecai Roshwald
19) House to House - David Bellavia
20) Zone One - Colson Whitehead
21) The Concrete Blonde - Michael Connelly
22) Cain at Gettysburg - Ralph Peters
23) A Gift Upon the Shore - M.K. Wren

I need to word file all my books.

This last week
John ringo live free or die

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finishing up The Elric Saga Part 1. Then I'll start Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology, so I'll have a better frame of reference for Glen Cook's The Starfisher Trilogy.

Posts: 734 | Location: Tucson | Registered: May 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need to word file all my books.
I use Excel.

Sheet 1 is books I'm planning to read. Sheet 2 is books I've read.

Finish a book on Sheet 1? Cut and paste to Sheet 2, and add a few notes in the last column.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Orconomics by J. Zachary Pike.

https://www.amazon.com/Orconom...coding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Imagine crossing Terry Pratchett with an American economist. Similar satirical tone to the Discworld novels, just without the British-style humour, and it's set in a more traditional D&D-style high fantasy setting. Lots of riffs on RPG/fantasy cliches.

The underlying premise is that the looting and plundering of bad guys' lairs by adventurers is the main focus of the world's economy, driving a kind of "Dungeons and Dragons stock market" where investors buy and sell securities based on the hauls collected from slaying monsters.

Very well-written and clever, with endearing characters. Like Pratchett's work, it's not "laugh-out-loud" funny, but is more of a "constant smile and frequent chuckle" funny.

I'm actually listening to the Audible audiobook, rather than reading it. And this narrator, Doug Tisdale, is definitely one of the better audiobooks narrators I've heard. Does an excellent job with distinct, memorable voices/accents for each character. https://www.audible.com/pd/Sci...d=1500217582&sr=1-18

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Just finished the first two books by Lawrence Block in his Matthew Scudder series, Sins of the Fathers and Time to Murder and Create. Both were good. Scudder was played by Liam Neeson in an excellent movie, A Walk Among the Tombstones.

Just started reading Asimov's Foundation. Very interesting, and holds up well for a book written in the 50's.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
Just finished the first two books by Lawrence Block in his Matthew Scudder series, Sins of the Fathers and Time to Murder and Create. Both were good. Scudder was played by Liam Neeson in an excellent movie, A Walk Among the Tombstones.

Just started reading Asimov's Foundation. Very interesting, and holds up well for a book written in the 50's.

Skip 8 Millions Ways to Die with Jeff Bridges, especially if you read the book.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Playing to the Edge: American Intelligence in the Age of Terror - Michael V. Hayden
Killing Reagan - Bill O'Reilly
Order to Kill - Vince Flynn, Kyle Mills
The Survivor - Vince Flynn, Kyle Mills
It's Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy - D. Michael Abrashoff
The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win - Gene Kim, Kevin Behr, George Spafford
Star Wars: Bloodline - New Republic - Claudia Gray
iWar: War and Peace in the Information Age - Bill Gertz
Thrawn (Star Wars) - Timothy Zahn
Enhanced Interrogation: Inside the Minds and Motives of the Islamic Terrorists Trying to Destroy America - James E. Mitchell
How to Win Friends & Influence People - Dale Carnegie
Defeating Jihad: The Winnable War - Sebastian Gorka
Workplace Poker: Are You Playing the Game, or Just Getting Played? - Dan Rust

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Started The Hobbit series again.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not as much as I should be. Last couple were several months ago. Dean Ing's "Flying to pieces" and Mike Grell's "Sable". Both rereads.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Half way through Jo Nesbo's latest 'The Thirst'.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2255 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbill345:
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:

Skip 8 Millions Ways to Die with Jeff Bridges, especially if you read the book.

Ha! I will probably watch it out of morbid curiosity.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I finished up the "Prendergast" series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Certainly different, clever scenarios, good to relax with.

I saw that Preston had written a book about exploring the Honduran jungle, "Lost City of the Monkey God". I really enjoyed it, although it bogged down a bit in some places. The back story on the area was fascinating, some real characters.

I won't make a "must read" recommendation but if you're looking for something different, this may work.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post