SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have really enjoyed D Day from the German perspective. Learning a lot.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PKFan:
I'm in the midst of "House of Spies", the latest Gabriel Allon book by Daniel Silva. Liking it so far. The entire Allon series is recommended.

This one was especially good, as it broke from his "forumla" for a thriller. The old formula was present a problem, assemble the team, have a big problem in the middle of the solution, have Gabriel and others in dire danger and then rescued at the last minute. This one was have a big problem, assemble the team and then flawlessly handle the problems along the way to resolution. Much better. Of course, Gabriel is now in charge. Smile

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished the "we are bob" of the bobiverse, the latest X-Force book "Black Ops" with Skippy, Col. JOE, and the merry band of pirates, now i am reading the third book in the four horseman universe " The Winged Hussars".

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I've reviving this if only for the fact I recently read a new lynsay sands book. Sure, it was a typical romance that is the same plot from like 10 books ago, but it was decent for what it was. I also missed having this list to look up

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
just started Ska'd for Life by Horace Panter

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

David Baldacci's The Fallen was a big disappointment from this well-liked (by me) author. Too much plot, too many characters, confusing at times, but it all comes together at the end. Just getting there is a chore, though.

I have "The Disappeared" by C.J. Box waiting for me at the library, to pick up Wednesday.

Other recently finished, and enjoyed, books:
Twisted Prey, a Lucas Davenport book by John Sandford
The Cutting Edge, by Jeffery Deaver
Deep Freeze, a Virgil Flowers book by John Sandford

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since my last post

Terry mancours spellmonger series
Finished iron druid series
Craig alansons assendant series
Naomi Novik's temeraire series, and her uprooted book

A few of f paul wilson books
Christopher g nuttal
Olan thorennson heavier than a mountain
Mike kupari 's. Her brothers keeper.

In all about 60 books.

Listening to the second in the memory man series right now.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Just finished “Testimony,” Robbie Robertson’s autobiography (The Band). I thought it was good. Before that I read “Tender is the Night,” F. Scott Fitzgerald. This on the advice of author Daniel Silva, who wrote that if he was limited to just two books, they would be “The Great Gadsby” and that one. Unlike Hemingway, I find Fitzgerald’s writing feels dated; nevertheless, I finished it.

Not sure what to read now, glad this thread was resurrected.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Just finished “Testimony,” Robbie Robertson’s autobiography (The Band). I thought it was good. Before that I read “Tender is the Night,” F. Scott Fitzgerald. This on the advice of author Daniel Silva, who wrote that if he was limited to just two books, they would be “The Great Gadsby” and that one. Unlike Hemingway, I find Fitzgerald’s writing feels dated; nevertheless, I finished it.

Not sure what to read now, glad this thread was resurrected.

hell I was searching for a forum members tagline and this popped up. I totally steal the new books I read list from here.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The Swarm by Orson Scott Card. The first book on the Second Formic War and a continuation of the trilogy on the First Formic War.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I’m half through “The Fallen”. I read the first three books in the Amos Decker series and found the excellent. I enjoy these types of series.

After this I’ll try another series by Baldacci.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My two most recent books I finished are:

Washington: A Life
Dracula

I would recommend both although the Washington book tended to drag on a bit.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
My Summer reading has been good:

Centennial by Michener
Collapse by Jared Diamond
American Crucifixion by Alex Beam
City of Endless Nights - a Prendergast novel

Now reading: "The Heart of Everything That Is - The Untold Story of Red Cloud - an American Legend" by bob Drury & Tom Clavin

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I got hooked on Daniel Silva with "The English Spy" and I just recently finished his latest book, "House of Spies". I am now starting to read the earlier books in his Gabriel Allon series and I'm presently reading the first one called "The Kill Artist".

I would recommend checking him out.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
True story regarding Daniel Silva. This happened quite a few years ago. I can't recall the book title now, but much of it took place at the Vatican. I emailed Silva because there were a couple of things in the book related to firearms that I thought were wrong, or could be better.

The scene was underground at the facilities of the Swiss Guard. As I recall it’s described as stone walled and it seems like the ceiling was low. Allon and others are near the Guard’s shooting range and a member of the Guard is handing Allon a SIG 9. He describes it as “Swiss made and very powerful.” Allon, you probably know prefers a Beretta. He slips a mag into the pistol, walks a few steps over to the range, and without a word of warning to the others begins to fire the SIG.

Silva kind of made a point to say that Allon, being the deadly man-of-action that he is, can’t be bothered to stop for hearing protection or the courtesy of warning the others that he was firing a gun within stone walls.

I wrote a nice email to him and just gave him my thoughts on that scene. Almost immediately, I heard back from his secretary. She said “Daniel is right here, looking over my shoulder.” She thanked me for my note and told me Daniel took it seriously. I thought it was pretty cool.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Just finished a bunch of Michael Connelly books - Bosch, read them because the TV series is pretty good....thought the books were mediocre.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished:

The Art of Invisibility
The World's Most Famous Hacker Teaches You How to Be Safe in the Age of Big Brother and Big Data
By: Kevin Mitnick

https://www.audible.com/pd/Sci...3ZZQ258B6CMN1JHBRW7&

Just started:

Failure Is Not an Option
Mission Control from Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond
By: Gene Kranz

https://www.audible.com/pd/Bio...07W4WT1TX12NKDD82NT&

PS: Love these threads, always add a bunch to my "to read" list

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I just finished reading Kurt Schlichter's People's Republic and Indian Country, back to back. I'd like to find more like them.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I'm about 300 pages into Atlas Shrugged. I only read it few nights a week as I lay in bed though. At this rate I will be finished around Jan 1.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Wow, can't believe I missed this thread.

I'm about 1/5 into Into That Darkness, by Gitta Sereny. She interviewed a concentration camp commandant (Franz Stangl - I had never heard of him before) just before he was executed, to get the 'human angle' on him. It's fascinating (and scary) reading (scary knowing this stuff could happen in this country if our Constitution and system of govt ever were defeated).

She hooked me on the back cover: "It is not the murderer in Stangl that terrifies us - it is the human being. For that matter 'terrify' may not be the right word. Most often one is sick to one's soul."

Along with that, I read The Martian (great book; great movie), a couple Battle of Britain/WWII books (With Wings Like Eagles, The Few, Wing Leader, Hell's Angels), and some more technical stuff (The Making Of The Atomic Bomb and Dark Sun - about the atomic and hydrogen bomb projects).

I picked up Dark Mission: The Secret History of NASA at my local thrift store. It only cost $2.15, but it's a moon-bat c@n$piracy theory crock about JFK, Nazis, the Masons, and lunar cities. I plan to skim it when I get a lull in my 'real' reading.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hound Dog,

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post