SIGforum
What have you been reading?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/7300027024

March 13, 2017, 05:06 AM
jjtnova
What have you been reading?
Working my way through the Longmire series by Craig Johnson, also just ordered Tools of Titans by Tim Ferris, I listen to his podcasts regularly and am looking forward to that one
March 15, 2017, 12:16 PM
lowflash
M1racle at Belleau Wood The Birth of the Modern U.S. Marine Corps.

Confederate Waterloo The Battle of Five Forks, April 1, 1865 and the Controversy that Brought Down a General.

Three Days In January Dwight Eisenhower's Final Mission
March 15, 2017, 12:38 PM
AllenInAR
After watching a movie about Hemingway, I realized I had never read any of his books. I immediately hit up Amazon for a single book with "The Sun Also Rises", "For Whom the Bell Tolls", "A Farewell to Arms", and "The Old Man and the Sea". I quickly jumped into TSAR.

Holy cow, it sucks. Frown Sure, the dialog between characters is pretty good, but I just can't put myself in with these hedonistic, spoiled jerks. I'm pretty certain Brett Ashley has BPD.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV
March 15, 2017, 12:52 PM
thunderson
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
After watching a movie about Hemingway, I realized I had never read any of his books. I immediately hit up Amazon for a single book with "The Sun Also Rises", "For Whom the Bell Tolls", "A Farewell to Arms", and "The Old Man and the Sea". I quickly jumped into TSAR.

Holy cow, it sucks. Frown Sure, the dialog between characters is pretty good, but I just can't put myself in with these hedonistic, spoiled jerks. I'm pretty certain Brett Ashley has BPD.

Yeah, I didn't like TSAR either, but For Whom the Bell Tolls is one of my favorite books. Give it a try.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown
March 15, 2017, 12:57 PM
IrishWind
Naval Battles of the First World War be Geoffrey Bennett. Written from the Royal Navy point of view.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!
March 15, 2017, 12:59 PM
RobC2
Currently reading The Fall of Hyperion.
March 15, 2017, 11:06 PM
nukeandpave
Persian Fire by Tom Holland.
March 18, 2017, 11:13 AM
ronnied316
Currently reading Armada, by Ernest Cline.

Prior to that, the recent list looks like this:

Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline
The Men Who Killed the Luftwaffe, by Jay A. Stout
The Aviators, by Winston Groom
Lords of the Sky, by Dan Hampton
Terror of the Autumn Skies, by Blaine Pardoe
Skunk Works, by Leo Janos & Ben R. Rich
Washington's Immortals, by Patrick K. O'Donnell
Fighter Pilot, by Christina Olds, Ed Rasimus, & Robin Olds
Masters of the Air, by Donald L. Miller

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"
March 18, 2017, 01:54 PM
joel9507
Currently reading "Tank - The Progress of A Monstrous War Machine" By Patrick Wright.
March 18, 2017, 07:36 PM
M1Garandy
Currently reading With the Old Breed by E.B Sledge.

Recently finished .303 No4(T) Sniper Rifle: An Armourer's Perspective by Peter Laidler and Ian Skennerten, Petty: The Biography by Warren Zanes and Spitfire Mark 1 P9374 by Andy Saunders.
March 18, 2017, 10:42 PM
DMF
quote:
Originally posted by ronnied316:
Currently reading Armada, by Ernest Cline.

Prior to that, the recent list looks like this:

Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline
The Men Who Killed the Luftwaffe, by Jay A. Stout
The Aviators, by Winston Groom
Lords of the Sky, by Dan Hampton
Terror of the Autumn Skies, by Blaine Pardoe
Skunk Works, by Leo Janos & Ben R. Rich
Washington's Immortals, by Patrick K. O'Donnell
Fighter Pilot, by Christina Olds, Ed Rasimus, & Robin Olds
Masters of the Air, by Donald L. Miller
Based on this list I can recommend a few more you might like:

1. The Hunter Killers - Dan Hampton
2. I Always Wanted To Fly - Colonel Wolfgang WE Samuel
3. Target Tokyo - James M. Scott
4. The Wright Brothers - David McCollough
5. The Forgotten 500: The Untold Story of the Men Who Risked All for the Greatest Rescue Mission of World War II - Gregory Freeman
6. The Wild Blue - by Stephen Ambrose

Out of print, but excellent if you can find copies (possibly as a Kindle edition?):
1. The Ravens: The Men Who Flew in America's Secret War in Laos - Christopher Robbins
2. Into the Mouth of the Cat: The Story of Lance Sijan, Hero of Vietnam - Malcolm McConnell

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman
March 19, 2017, 10:39 AM
ronnied316
Thanks DMF, I'll check them out!

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"
March 19, 2017, 08:30 PM
nhtagmember
just started reading 'The Archaeology of Ancient Arizona' by Reid and Whittlesey

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

March 19, 2017, 09:08 PM
sjtill
Leonidas: if you're still looking, I bought Philip Hamburger's Is Administrative Law Unlawful? as a Kindle book on Amazon.

This specific book is in the news now as a Judge Posner has accused Neil Gorsuch of being "a Hamburgerian", which I think would be high praise.

March 20, 2017, 07:39 AM
KShooter
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:

I'm with ya. Last year I first read "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and then jumped right into "The Old Man and the Sea." Both were pretty decent. Glad I read them but not sure I will ever read them again. Then I picked up "The Sun Also Rises" and could only make it about 1/3 of the way through the book before I had to dump it.

Just finished reading "Animal Farm" as I had never read it before and my oldest son has to read it over the summer. Before that was "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis

Not sure what my next book will be. I went to the local used book store this weekend with a few ideas in mind but they didn't have any of them. I don't like getting books from the library as I always feel rushed with the 2 week check-out time. I know I can renew the checkout if no one is on a waiting list, but it just seems to make reading seem like a chore that I have to get through instead of something I can enjoy.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.
March 20, 2017, 08:08 AM
joatmonv
Just finished The Iliad by Homer. Not sure what's next. Leaving for Florida in a few days and have to pick something up for my layover in Atlanta.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.
March 20, 2017, 09:17 AM
henryaz
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
Just finished The Iliad by Homer.

In Latin, or a translation? Smile

March 20, 2017, 10:14 AM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

A Latin version would also be a translation... The Iliad was originally in Greek. Wink

μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος
οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί' Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε' ἔθηκε,
πολλὰς δ' ἰφθίμους ψυχὰς Ἄϊδι προί̈αψεν
ἡρώων, αὐτοὺς δὲ ἑλώρια τεῦχε κύνεσσιν
οἰωνοῖσί τε πᾶσι, Διὸς δ' ἐτελείετο βουλή,
ἐξ οὗ δὴ τὰ πρῶτα διαστήτην ἐρίσαντε
Ἀτρεί̈δης τε ἄναξ ἀνδρῶν καὶ δῖος Ἀχιλλεύς.
March 20, 2017, 10:22 AM
joatmonv
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

Translated. My Dad has it in Greek but I lost that skill many years ago.
My Grandfather was from Greece and when he died in 2001, I lost interest in speaking and reading.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.
March 20, 2017, 10:31 AM
jhe888
The Sympathizer: A Novel
by Viet Thanh Nguyen

This is a recent Pulitzer Prize winner about a young Vietnamese army officer who fled Vietnam when South Vietnam collapsed.

It is very, very good.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.