SIGforum
What have you been reading?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/7300027024

March 09, 2017, 12:23 AM
leonidas211
What have you been reading?
I am recently through. "Everything they did not teach you at Harvard business school" and "The poor of habit" I highly recommend both books for informational reading.

Any recommendations?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member
March 09, 2017, 03:54 AM
Orguss
The Obsidian Chamber, the latest novel in the A. X. L. Pendergast series by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
March 09, 2017, 06:52 AM
Kravashera
Just started American Sniper. Before that was Embedded by Dan Abnett. If you like good military SciFi, I highly recommend it.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein
March 09, 2017, 07:04 AM
ibexsig
Dark Sun by Richard Rhodes. History of the making of the hydrogen bomb. Great book, but it makes my blood boil about how easy it was for the Russians to get our nuclear secrets. It literally took years off the time it was going to take the Soviets to build their own bomb.
The descriptions of the power of the thermonuclear bomb are some of the scariest things I have ever read.
March 09, 2017, 07:50 AM
henryaz

Over the last few months:

Escape Clause by John Sandford
The One Man by Andrew Gross
The Wrong Side of Goodbye by Michael Connelly
Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs
No Man's Land by David Baldacci
Home by Harlan Coben
Livia Lone by Barry Eisler
Insidious by Catherine Coulter
The Obsidian Chamber by Preston & Child

March 09, 2017, 08:11 AM
Tomkat
Anything and everything I can written by Thomas Sowell, whether archived columns or books.

March 09, 2017, 08:52 AM
RogueJSK
Grunt
Bonk
Stiff
Gulp

Four books, all by Mary Roach.

Basically, they're lighthearted books on the science behind certain subjects - military gear (Grunt), sex/reproduction (Bonk), death/cadavers (Stiff), and food/eating (Gulp).

Highly entertaining, very readable, and very informative.
March 09, 2017, 09:07 AM
Lately I have been reading Stephen Hunter's books. They make more sense if you read 'em in order but they are still good reads in any order. If you are not into that type of book, I can highly recommend One Ranger by Joaquin Jackson. It is an excellent read. Joaquin was a Texas Ranger that got his start in my part of Texas as a DPS Trooper.

I am a huge history fan nut, especially WWII. My wife bought me "Killing the Rising Sun" by Bill O'Reilly (wasn't too sure about it).I think he is the author in name only.? It is a very book. If you want to know what went on during the Pacific campaign, this book gives a peek it. It will give you a better appreciation as to what our fathers, grandfathers, uncles, etc. went through from 1941 until Japan surrender in 1945.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford
March 09, 2017, 11:45 AM
UTsig
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
The Obsidian Chamber, the latest novel in the A. X. L. Pendergast series by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child.

Ha, just finished "Cabinet of Curiosities", on the library wait list for Obsidian Chamber.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.
March 09, 2017, 01:08 PM
vinnybass
I just finished Shiloh Ranch. The fourth in the Blackout Series, by Bobby Akart.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."
March 09, 2017, 02:43 PM
Orive 8
Started reading the Gray Man series by Mark Greaney. First book was great, I'm into the second one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.
March 09, 2017, 05:52 PM
Batty67
The Mighty Eigth
March 09, 2017, 06:17 PM
DSgrouse
Audible needs a way to copy and paste. 25 books in the last 2 months. Marko kloos series being some of the better ones. The latest two starwars books being the biggest pieces of shit i have had the displeasure of slogging through.
March 09, 2017, 06:57 PM
Erick85
The Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson.
March 09, 2017, 08:30 PM
sjtill
Most of the way through Hamilton by Chernow--great book, forget the musical. Now I've started a book about administrative law--is it legal? by Hamburger. Long but fascinating.
It seems admin law is the resurrection of the absolute prerogatives of the King, just what 1776 was all about, and Woody Wilson gave it back to us.

March 09, 2017, 08:34 PM
henryaz
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
Ha, just finished "Cabinet of Curiosities", on the library wait list for Obsidian Chamber.

You should read them more in order. There is a big gap and lots of story between those two. I like to use the Fantastic Fiction web site to keep up with authors and their works.

March 09, 2017, 08:59 PM
leonidas211
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Most of the way through Hamilton by Chernow--great book, forget the musical. Now I've started a book about administrative law--is it legal? by Hamburger. Long but fascinating.
It seems admin law is the resurrection of the absolute prerogatives of the King, just what 1776 was all about, and Woody Wilson gave it back to us.

Where can I find the book about admin law? I tunes sounds amaZing.

Great suggestions guys!

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member
March 09, 2017, 09:10 PM
kxc223
Started re-reading Patrick O'Brian's novels. Just finished "HMS Surprise" and I am enjoying them as much as the first time I read the series.

"Momma say's the pistol is the Devil's right hand."
March 09, 2017, 10:50 PM
airsoft guy
I just finished Enemies Foreign and Domestic by Matthew Bracken, and have started Wool by Hugh Howey. That one kept popping up on the Amazon, sounded like a novel about living in a Vault from Fallout, so I kept my eye on it, and then the Kindle version went on sale so I thought, "why not? lets give it a try." And I did, and it is good.

quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Audible needs a way to copy and paste. 25 books in the last 2 months. Marko kloos series being some of the better ones. The latest two starwars books being the biggest pieces of shit i have had the displeasure of slogging through.

I just keep track myself with a Word file. Last year I only go around to reading 23 books.

1) Eon - Greg Bear
2) The Secret Speech - Tom Rob Smith
3) The Last King of Scotland - Giles Foden
4) Tortilla Flat - John Steinbeck
5) Matterhorn - Karl Marlantes
6) Kill the Irishman - Rick Porrello
7) American Gods - Neil Gaiman
8) The Black Echo - Michael Connelly
9) The Man with the Iron Heart - Harry Turtledove
10) Lamb - Christopher Moore
11) Lost Soldiers - James Webb
12) The Forever War - Dexter Filkins
13) The Black Ice - Michael Connelly
14) Homo Zapiens - Victor Pelevin
15) In the Graveyard of Empires - Seth G. Jones
16) President Me - Adam Carolla
17) In Pharoah's Army - Tobias Wolff
18) Level 7 - Mordecai Roshwald
19) House to House - David Bellavia
20) Zone One - Colson Whitehead
21) The Concrete Blonde - Michael Connelly
22) Cain at Gettysburg - Ralph Peters
23) A Gift Upon the Shore - M.K. Wren

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.
March 09, 2017, 11:08 PM
BRL
Just finished "Orphan X" by Greg Hurwitz on audible, narrated by Scott Brick. Phenomenal! I immediately downloaded the next in the series "The Nowhere Man" which so far is even better.

Evan Smoake makes Mitch Rapp look like a fucking Girl Scout.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.