SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Reliable sporty vehicle for long commute?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reliable sporty vehicle for long commute? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
A couple requirements:
AWD or 4WD
Decent clearance
20mpg or better

I have a commute of around 150 miles a day. I would like something more comfortable than the Nissan Xterra that I drive and hopefully better fuel mileage. I enjoy the height and 260hp 6spd power train but it’s bouncy, catches the wind and gets 18mpg.

My first thought was a base Subaru WRX but I’m not a fan of low cars. The Forester XT would be great if I could get it minus leather and all the fancy stuff to help the price. An Escape is the same, I really liked the Titanium I rented but not the price. Not sure on the long term reliability of the Ford.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
My f-150 eco boost in sport mode hauls the Mail. I get basically 20mpg even driving in shitty Washington DC traffic

When I go on longer road trips it’s 22mpg

Been very happy with this truck

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at the RAV4. I rented one recently and it meets most of your requirements. Quality ride.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Subaru Crosstrek, maybe?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
WRX.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I have the F150 SuperCrew 4x4 with EcoBoost 2.7L and as another poster said, in Sport mode it goes. Recently bought my wife an Escape Titanium, it is a nice vehicle and did awesome in the blizzard that recently buried Seattle.

Escape has been around for awhile now, not sure the concern about “long term reliability”.

Maybe look for a left over 2018 Escape, we got a great deal on ours, sticker was $38,400 and we got it for $30,500 loaded with pretty much every option. It’s got a few bells and whistles my loaded 2017 Mustang GT doesn’t.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
When I was getting rid of my '15 Subaru Legacy, I tried to stay with Subaru. I test drove a manual 2018 WRX (not a base model) with the 2.5L engine for a day. You might get 20mpg on the long freeway trip. I couldn't. Ride was also rough to me. I was hoping I would like it. In the end, I said no and went back to BMW.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Mazda CX-5 is your best bet

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Honda Ridgeline Sport AWD.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Subaru Crosstrek, maybe?

This! Especially the newer 2018 and 2019 ones. I was not comfortable in the older ones, but the newer ones I really like. I have an Outback now and I love it, but I may end up trading in the Outback for a Crosstrek right before I retire.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Don’t know exactly what you mean by “low cars”.
If I were you I would look at the 2018-19 Honda Accord, which is what I drive. Extremely comfortable for 5-6 hour drives San Diego-Phoenix; 30 mpg, sporty when you need it.
Super reliable.

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my Crosstrek. I too skipped some of the bells and whistles to save money. One place the dealer actually talked me into spending more was their EyeSight stuff. Lane departure, sets follow distance under cruise control, etc. My wife’s Toyota has a similar system and I hate it. Very rough inputs and almost scary if it thinks something is too close. Subaru is a different animal and for long drives it saves on driver fatigue. Mileage is ok. I don’t track closely but with mixed driving I am in high 20’s. Straight freeway I would think very low 30’s.

Nice car. Don’t know if I consider it sporty other than being off road capable. Certainly not a speedster. Uses 2.0 engine which is a plus since this one doesn’t have the 2.5’s oil consumption issue apparently.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Check the Equinox, you can get it in AWD with a 1.5 turbo or a 2.0 turbo. Both are screamers and excellent MPG. Smokin deals right now too

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I love my Crosstrek. I too skipped some of the bells and whistles to save money. One place the dealer actually talked me into spending more was their EyeSight stuff. Lane departure, sets follow distance under cruise control, etc. My wife’s Toyota has a similar system and I hate it. Very rough inputs and almost scary if it thinks something is too close. Subaru is a different animal and for long drives it saves on driver fatigue. Mileage is ok. I don’t track closely but with mixed driving I am in high 20’s. Straight freeway I would think very low 30’s.

Nice car. Don’t know if I consider it sporty other than being off road capable. Certainly not a speedster. Uses 2.0 engine which is a plus since this one doesn’t have the 2.5’s oil consumption issue apparently.

Makes me curious to check one out again.
I tested one when they first came out, as the XV Crosstrek, and found it painfully slow & the 5MT had the shift throws of a truck.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
You want the Forester 2.0XT Premium trim level that was available up until a year or so ago.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Low cars with low ground clearance and a having to sit down into and step up out of. For some reason, I’ve always had issues getting in and out of cars like the Accord or Camery, no matter my size or physical condition through the years.

I’ve driven a few Accord 2 doors with the 6cyl and they were pretty fun.

The original plan was to take over the wife’s Legacy when it’s time to get another car but I’m not so sure now.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
New(er) Honda Ridgeline if looking for a Sporty truck that seats 4...4/5ths the size of my old F150 but miles more comfortable. Full time AWD and Lane keeping assist, adaptive cruise, etc. Black edition trim is quite nice.

Mini Cooper Countryman JCW if you want sporty and ground clearance as another option. Really a BMW in Mini clothes

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
How about the new 2019 Honda Passport?

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I like my Honda CR-V. In summer I get 30 MPG easy. Winter it drops to 24-26. Never a problem in snow.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
Dodge Durango

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 353 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post