SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Christian Music Fans Here: Who Do You Like?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christian Music Fans Here: Who Do You Like? Login/Join 
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
I know bluegrass is an acquired taste, but nothing stirs my soul like bluegrass gospel, especially acapella.

To that end, i’ll Submit

Nashville Bluegrass Band
Dry Branch Fire Squad
IIIrd Tyme Out

For more mainstream Christian music, I’ve always liked Amy Grant and Hillsong.

Edited To note that any rendition of Amazing Grace I’ve heard has never failed to reduce me to tears.

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
For Today
Disciple
Project 86
Demon Hunter
Thousand Foot Krutch
POD
12 Stones
Manafest
Pillar
Ashes Remain
blessthefall
Kutless
Skillet
NF
Emery
RED
War of Ages

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIG4EVA,

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I'd say I'm a big fan of Rend Collective from Northern Ireland. We saw them in concert a few years ago and they were awesome.

This one gets a lot of airplay around my house:

I've never heard the intro of that song and I'm not familiar with the band's name but I hear that song a lot on the radio and I like it.

I like Mercy Me. Some specific songs by Mandisa.

I like the first album of Jordan Feliz. But his following songs appear that he's just a single track rhythm.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
From the ‘80s, I’d submit some works that still, well...”work” for me...

Russ Taff - particularly his self-titled 1987 album, including tracks “Higher,” “I Still Believe,” “(Living On The) Edge of Time,” and “Shake.” Also, from an earlier album (1983 or so?) Medals, the track “Rock Solid.”

Petra - tracks “Hit You Where You Live” and “Seen and Not Heard.” That latter one may have been an early ‘90s song of theirs.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
Russ Taff - particularly his self-titled 1987 album, including tracks “Higher,” “I Still Believe,” “(Living On The) Edge of Time,” and “Shake.”

Quite possibly my favorite Christian (non-worship) album of all time. Definitely top 3 with DCT's Jesus Freak and an early Steven Curtis Chapman record called More to this Life in there.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
Russ Taff - particularly his self-titled 1987 album, including tracks “Higher,” “I Still Believe,” “(Living On The) Edge of Time,” and “Shake.”

Quite possibly my favorite Christian (non-worship) album of all time. Definitely top 3 with DCT's Jesus Freak and an early Steven Curtis Chapman record called More to this Life in there.

I just KNEW there had to be at least one other Taff fan here - nice! Smile

EDITED TO ADD: I just read this evening that there is to be a one-night-only movie event featuring a story about Russ Taff’s life - most interesting. To be shown at select theaters 10/30/2018.

Link here:

http://russtaffmovie.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TheFrontRange,

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I remember Russ Taff from the 80’s

Who remembers Steve Taylor? Kinda a Christian version of Elvis Costello or They Might Be Giants. He was a favorite of mine as a kid.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I played the crap out of Steve Taylor's "I predict 1990" album when I was a young teen. Got to see him in concert at the Creation festival in Mt. Union, PA. Can't remember what year that was.

Then I got into the Heavy Metal stuff and Bride's "Show No Mercy" and "Live to Die" got played a lot through the headphones.

Whitecross, Deliverance, X-Sinner, Bloodgood, Barren Cross were some other bands I listened too a lot

Posts: 80 | Registered: July 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

EDITED TO ADD: I just read this evening that there is to be a one-night-only movie event featuring a story about Russ Taff’s life - most interesting. To be shown at select theaters 10/30/2018.

Link here:

Dallas Holm is a good friend of ours and he mentioned Taff showing up to Gaither recording sessions drunk all the time. Michael English had a lot of struggles as well. Just shows that those are human problems.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black Pepper:
I played the crap out of Steve Taylor's "I predict 1990" album when I was a young teen. Got to see him in concert at the Creation festival in Mt. Union, PA. Can't remember what year that was.

My favs were these:

1983: I Want To Be A Clone

1984: Meltdown

1985: On The Fritz

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
For Today
Disciple
Project 86
Demon Hunter
Thousand Foot Krutch
POD
12 Stones
Manafest
Pillar
Ashes Remain
blessthefall
Kutless
Skillet
NF
Emery
RED
War of Ages

Great list.
I’ll admit NF, Ashes Remain, and War or Ages I had not heard of. Being I am a fan of everyone else on the list needed to check them out.
NF great stuff been rocking the Mansion album. Ashes Remain I had actually heard some before but did not know who they were.

I have not had a chance to check out War of Ages yet.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil Keaggy (hence the username). And more often than not these days, I'm listening to prog rock icon Neal Morse (formerly of Spock's Beard). His latest concept "album" is based on parts of Pilgrim's Progress.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8GdH59yuD8

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Mozart's Requiem Mass in D minor (K 626) will stir you.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmkcDIRogm8

Beethoven's well-known Mass in D major (the Missa Solemnis) is something else:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFor50sjEaw

Contemporary Christian pop is largely pablum to my ears. Boring tunes, and even more boring, sappy, and repetitive lyrics. As someone said, it all sounds the same.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Link here:

Dallas Holm is a good friend of ours and he mentioned Taff showing up to Gaither recording sessions drunk all the time. Michael English had a lot of struggles as well. Just shows that those are human problems.

Russ Taft was important to me as I was growing up, I never got to see him perform. I have purchased tickets to the fathom event and will be going to see the movie.
Man I love you guys.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3574 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Ok most of my favorites are listed here. But I have not seen two of my favorites so I thought I would add them.

Petra

Stryper.

The Old:

The new(er):

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3574 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lithog
posted Hide Post
Many great ones listed above, but my all time favorite is DeGarmo & Key. I'm a little biased because Dana Key was my pastor until he passed away in 2010. 666 is the video that got them kicked off Mtv supposedly because it was too violent. Ha! The real reason was Mtv finally figured out that they were a Christian band.

---------------------------
"Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger, THE SHOOTER

Posts: 1215 | Location: Memphis,Tenn.,USA | Registered: October 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Some favorites from the past:

Susan Ashton (debut)
Bruce Carrol
Margaret Becker
Clay Crosse
Bryan Duncan
Amy Grant
Rich Mullins
Paul Overstreet
Michael W. Smith
Michelle Tumes
Jars of Clay

Huge Keaghy fan, as well as Paul Overstreet.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Degarmo and Key, saw those guys in concert. Hecka lot of talent. Phil Keaghy live in the Tacoma Dome, a Christmas show was one for the memory molecules.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Link here:

Oh, this is cool that you know Dallas Holm! My wife and I saw a Dallas Holm and Praise concert somewhere along the line many years ago if I’m remembering correctly.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Link here:

Russ Taft was important to me as I was growing up, I never got to see him perform. I have purchased tickets to the fathom event and will be going to see the movie.
Man I love you guys.

This Forum ROCKS for a number of reasons, among them being connections like this!