SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    ever heard of Tangerine Dream ?? -- you may like this story
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ever heard of Tangerine Dream ?? -- you may like this story Login/Join 
posted
this guy liked them too --

http://www.tampabay.com/featur...g-library-_169152045

good stuff

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
They did the score for The Sorcerer.

One of my favorite movies of all time.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Is that the group that did the train ride music in Risky Business ?

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Remember this?

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Great stuff. I have 4 of their vinyl albums. Of the 4, Tangram is my favorite.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I have a number of their albums. Their bio on allmusic.com begins

quote:
Tangerine Dream are unquestionably one of the most influential electronic groups of all time. Their music has made an immeasurable impact on ambient, new age, techno, trance, and progressive rock, as well as modern film score composition.

They "worked on more than 30 film soundtracks during the 1980s, among them Risky Business, The Keep, Flashpoint, Firestarter, Vision Quest, and Legend."

I don't care for all of their work. Some of it was almost too minimalistic. But they didn't only make "laid back" music, or electronic noodling, their 220 Volt Live album (1993) even covered a version of Jimi Hendrix's Purple Haze.

Their history is perhaps the longest-running band of the same name (given personnel changes) of the past half century.

And now, locals in Florida can check them out at the library!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Yep, I have heard of them since I bought Phaedra back in 1974. I have 21 cds by them. Also 1 by Christopher Franke, 3 by Edgar Froese and 22 by Klaus Schulze. I like some electronica. Smile

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I am very fond of their Exit album.

Posts: 3142 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
iirc they did some work for the HEAT soundtrack also

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
They're legendary in electronic music / synthesizer circles.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I stopped buying their albums after 'Tyger' from the late 80's.
I still listen to several of their records:
Stratosfear, Phaedra, Tangram, Exit, Force Majeure....all still very good and aging well (unlike other pioneers in electronic music like Kraftwerk)

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I too have several of the earliest vinyl LPs. Enjoyable!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Yes.

quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
Is that the group that did the train ride music in Risky Business ?

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7249 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
I stopped buying their albums after 'Tyger' from the late 80's.
I still listen to several of their records:
Stratosfear, Phaedra, Tangram, Exit, Force Majeure....all still very good and aging well (unlike other pioneers in electronic music like Kraftwerk)

Heresy, I say. Smile

Kraftwerk was thoroughly entertaining and excellent, live, in recent years.

And they had a huge crowd jamming and dancing like it was all brand new.

Here's Kraftwerk's crowd at Coachella in 2008 as an example, 60k or so people:

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post