SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    netflix account deleted, unable to login
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

netflix account deleted, unable to login Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted
got the login screen. unable to login, says no account under that email. calling the toll free number gets a recording no one answering due to covid19.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Syntax error in the address on login maybe?

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
Syntax error in the address on login maybe?
how would i recognize that?

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like you've got your email address wrong.

If you've received email from Netflix, and, if you have/had an account, I would expect you did, look to see what address it was to which they sent it. Look in your Trash and Junk folders if you can't find it elsewhere.

We've three streamers and two tablets logged into Netflix and they've been working fine.

"Syntax error on the login" would mean you failed to properly enter your email address, e.g.: "username@example.com", in the correct format.

Yours is an example of why it's best to just put everything in a keyring right away. Then use the keyring entries every time. Then there's no doubt.

One should even use keyring entries for URLs. Then there's little-to-no chance of entering a typo'd URL that looks like the Real Deal, but is a spoof site designed to steal credentials. E.g.: "netfllx.com" (It exists and answers pings. I'm not even going to look to see what's there.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Looks to me like you've got your email address wrong.
email entered is correct. just tried phone number, no account associated with it. just had a paypal auto payment march 13. not a new member.

don't know what a keyring is.

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
It looks like alot of accounts have been stolen. Here's a video that discusses it and a possible solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5v5jP1WHnU

I guess it involves opening a private tab in your browser and then opening a chat session with Netflix to actually get a hold of someone in customer service.

Someone has taken over your account and changed the email address on record. But your form of payment is still in the account, so you would still be charged every billing period.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
It looks like alot of accounts have been stolen. Here's a video that discusses it and a possible solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5v5jP1WHnU

I guess it involves opening a private tab in your browser and then opening a chat session with Netflix to actually get a hold of someone in customer service.

Someone has taken over your account and changed the email address on record. But your form of payment is still in the account, so you would still be charged every billing period.

That’s the first thing I thought of, account takeover.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks. I started a new 30 days free account to the same email and got pretty far, up to paypal and got an error that that payment was already being used (no shit). Then I just got an email to finish signing up. Did that, and I'm back in, and got charged again, which I'll try to resolve post-covid19.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:

Thanks. I started a new 30 days free account to the same email and got pretty far, up to paypal and got an error that that payment was already being used (no shit). Then I just got an email to finish signing up. Did that, and I'm back in, and got charged again, which I'll try to resolve post-covid19.

You've no idea how long that may be. I'd argue that, given the caution you have, and what you've experienced, it would be wise to sign in and fire up a live chat request now.

And get a damn keyring and use it!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
where do i get a keyring?
quote:
fire up a live chat request now.
as soon as they open monday morning.

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
is this it?

qkey

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:

where do i get a keyring?

Otherwise known as "password safes."

Assuming you have a smartphone: Go to the applications store for your phone and search on things like "key ring", "keyring", or "password safe".

KeePass, LastPass, and 1Password are a popular ones. I use one called "Password Safe". Aka: "PwSafe", "PasswdSafe", etc. I like that solution because it doesn't require you use the software's choice for backup/cloud storage.

Another thing: See member prepsheriff's post. One thing you can do to protect yourself is use a "tagged" (aka: "plussed") email address with services such as Netflix. This is where you add "+somestring" to the username portion of your email address.

E.g.: Let's say your normal email address is "somebody@example.com". You give Netflix an email address of "somebody+netflix@example.com". If your email provider supports tagged addresses, upon receipt of email addressed to "somebody+netflix@example.com", they'll strip off the "+netflix" part and deliver to the remaining address, which is yours.

Most good, modern email servers support tagged email addresses. N.B.: Last I knew, Microsoft's (e.g.: outlook.com) did not. Gmail does. So does Apple's (e.g.: icloud.com). Test if by having somebody email you at your normal email address with a tag. (E.g.: "somebody+foobarbaz@example.com")

A couple of advantages: If you receive an email allegedly from a service that wasn't sent to your tagged address, you know right off it's a spoof. It also makes it harder for people to attack your account. They may know your email address is "somebody@example.com", but they don't know what you use to login to Netflix is "somebody+nf123@example.com".

Not all on-line services support using tagged email addresses for customer addresses. Many incompetent software designers don't believe a "+' is a valid character in an email address. (I've actually occasionally had success in convincing some on-line sites to fix that.)

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Assuming you have a smartphone
i use a pc.

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Happened to me, I actually had to call.

My account got hacked somehow and was being watched in Africa. Netflix shut it down until i called them and verified it was me.

The person who stole my stuff had some TERRIBLE taste is shows to watch.

Kevin

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
they fixed mine through chat and got the refund going.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I got a bogus Netflix email yesterday about my account. For a moment I'd assumed my credit card had expired. They had me for a couple seconds, but remembered to check the email address closer before doing anything. "Log in and update..." Easy to see how people can fall for it.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
Assuming you have a smartphone
i use a pc.

They make password safes/keychains for all popular operating systems, too.

Of course: If all you have is the PC, and the PC goes down or gets 0wn3d by ransomware, you're screwed. If you don't have a good backup strategy, you're really screwed.

quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:

My account got hacked somehow ...

In most cases that happens in one of the following three ways:

1. You're using the same email address on the service in question as you are on another site or service, and they were stolen from there
  2. You fell for a phishing scam
  3. Your PC has a keylogger or other spyware on it

#1 can be obviated by never using the same or a similar password on any two sites and, if possible, using tagged email addresses.