SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Kermit Weeks' Bf108 restoration
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kermit Weeks' Bf108 restoration Login/Join 
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted
I love, love, love aircraft restoration. If I lived anywhere close to one of these places, I'd volunteer to help in a heartbeat.

So this is Kermit Weeks' Fantasy of Flight, down in Florida. He has a bunch of stuff on his YouTube channel, but he's now added these video logs, and one of his mechanics hosts them. They're restoring one of my favorite GA birds of all time, the Messerschmitt Bf108 Taifun. This is gonna be super cool when it's completed. Enjoy!

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
A number of years ago I went to Fantasy Of Flight (when the museum was still open) and they gave us a tour of some of the areas where the non-restored aircraft were kept. The numbers were staggering. They had run out of space and dozens had to be kept outside. The closure of the museum was mostly due to them needing the space and wanting to focus on restorations.

The work Kermit and his team does is amazing.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4359 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I’ve been following this one. I’m looking forward to seeing the progress.

My other favorite of his is the Fiesler Storch.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Groovy

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I've been to the museum and it was pretty cool

I was not aware that it had closed - they had an awesome collection

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
It did close for a short time, but it is back in operation.

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Fantasy of Flight is only 20 minutes from where I live.
I have been there a couple of times but not in the last few years.
When I was there the place was incredible.
We went through the restoration shop as part of the tour.
The day we were there he took a veteran who flew in a plane similar to one he had at the time for a ride along.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post