SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Actors who got better with age - your nomination?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Actors who got better with age - your nomination? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Tom Hanks

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Jeff Bridges is getting better and better. I loved his character in Hell or High Water.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always think of Robt Duval as America’s actor. After Godfather, he kept getting better roles.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Sean Connery, Robert Duvall, and Tom Selleck.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Gotta mention McConaughey. He still plays versions of himself from Dazed and Confused every now and then but things like True Detective, Mud, Dallas Buyers Club, et. Al. Have shown a lot of progression.

Yep

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
DiCaprio

That was my initial thought too. Then I thought back to the earliest that I saw him and What's Eating Gilbert Grape came to mind. I don't know that I've hated a movie more than that one, but he was VERY good and he was just a kid then.

I think he's always been very good. Perhaps he's getting better, but IMO it's tough to go up from the top. He consistently gets my vote for the best actor.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
Jeff Bridges is getting better and better. I loved his character in Hell or High Water.

+1

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
quote:

+1

Left out Godless and True Grit. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Daniel Day Lewis has always been excellent, but is still improving.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Tommy Lee Jones.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Iron chef, I pretty much disagree with everything you wrote.

I pretty much agreed with everything he wrote. Pacino, DeNiro... they've all been Big fat Elvis for a long time.

+1 Particularly Pacino. He's been playing the same role for the last 20+ years.

As for actors who've improved, the first name that comes to mind for me is Jeff Bridges. IMO, his role as Rooster Cogburn in True Grit was the best performance of his career.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
As usual, I'm getting a good edumacation from SigForum.

Tom Hanks, Tom Selleck, and Clint Eastwood are people I've seen enough and agree with.

Morgan Freeman - it's impossible to see him in a role and not think he's Morgan Freeman. Not being critical of his face, it just doesn't change.

Samuel Jackson on the other hand, I am beginning to see that he does a great job of being an actor and hiding himself behind the role. Maybe that's why he gets mistaken for other actors.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
DiCaprio

That was my initial thought too. Then I thought back to the earliest that I saw him and What's Eating Gilbert Grape came to mind. I don't know that I've hated a movie more than that one, but he was VERY good and he was just a kid then.

I think he's always been very good. Perhaps he's getting better, but IMO it's tough to go up from the top. He consistently gets my vote for the best actor.

so much of our perception of actors is the roles they played. dicaprio, and many others, have had to fight the pop-idol label and the lame scripts that come along with that. when they get older they get better scripts requiring more depth and with better directors and then we see them as better actors.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I’ll throw one out that hasn’t been mentioned

Ben Affleck

The Town, Argo, the accountant

All excellent movies

Yes, there is the Batman stuff, but you work with what you get and he has been the best part of those movies

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
I’ll throw one out that hasn’t been mentioned

Ben Affleck

The Town, Argo, the accountant

All excellent movies

Yes, there is the Batman stuff, but you work with what you get and he has been the best part of those movies

Yeah, he surprisingly went from an actor I couldn't stand to one I enjoy...including his directing.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry, I posted before clicking over to this page and seeing several call outs for Jeff Bridges. Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
Gary Oldman

The best.

I can't imagine:

...from anyone else.

And while some of his more recent stuff isn't quite so dramatic, he draws you in.

My wife and I met him a few years ago at a small Holiday house party (maybe 25 guests). He was very polite, subdued, almost shy. Stayed pretty much to himself but interacted when approached or introduced. Seemed like a really nice guy. His persona was nothing like the intense characters he sometimes plays.

Posts: 1983 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Skerritt

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Charlotte Rampling.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
What about child actors such as Ricky Schroder?
But yeah every year Gary Oldman seems to be able to play yet another character.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post