SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Video: MCAS Miramar launch of 43 Ospreys and Sea Stallions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video: MCAS Miramar launch of 43 Ospreys and Sea Stallions Login/Join 
posted
This is only 4:30, I want to see the LP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...mfQ&feature=youtu.be

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
man ! thats a lot of whirling mass in one small space.

ceiling fans worry me,
I would not have a chance there

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/V_fzktOYmfQ

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rather surprising that many Osprey's were able to participate given its abysmal readiness rate.

It appears increased DoD funding is finally getting down to the maintainer level for some, and not being funneled away and reprioritized to pet programs, as it was during sequestration.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know when this took place?
We live less than a mile north and hear and see pretty much every Osprey flight as far as I know.

If there is a recurring op that involves this kind of mass flight, I’d love to find out about it in advance. Of course there are good reasons not to publicize it in advance.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
A scene straight out of Revelation...

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
June 6.
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Does anyone know when this took place?
We live less than a mile north and hear and see pretty much every Osprey flight as far as I know.

If there is a recurring op that involves this kind of mass flight, I’d love to find out about it in advance. Of course there are good reasons not to publicize it in advance.

Posts: 143 | Location: San Diego, California | Registered: May 24, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only a handfull of the Ospreys from that video actually flew; the rest taxied out for the shot and taxied back.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We see a number of these near Destin during the winter. Cool looking plane with the giant props.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I was at Ft. Rucker doing environmental work when the build up for one of the gulf war events was happening. Watched them send what appeared to be a majority of their helicopters off to be shipped/flown overseas. they all lifted and formed up a formation in the air and then flew away together. Very cool thing to watch.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Rather surprising that many Osprey's were able to participate given its abysmal readiness rate...

https://www.marinecorpstimes.c...Early%20Bird%20Brief

Despite massive shows of air power, nearly 40 percent of Marine Ospreys are not mission capable

By: Shawn Snow   16 hours ago

In mid-June, the Corps put on a stunning display of air power when dozens of MV-22 Ospreys and CH-53s elephant walked in a tight formation the Miramar, California, air station runway as they took off in a mass flight.

Less than a week later, tilt-rotors and heavy lift helicopters aboard Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, carried Marines into one of the Corps’ largest air assault exercises in a decade.

But as the Marine Corps flexes its airlift muscles, hiding in the background are a large number of Marine Ospreys that are not mission capable due to maintenance issues and staffing shortages, according to military officials.

The MV-22 Osprey has a dismal mission capable rate hovering near 60 percent, according to data from the Marine Corps. Corps officials say that mission capable rate is an increase from the low 50 percent levels maintained throughout fiscal year 2018.

The numbers are troubling as the Osprey is vital to how the Corps fights and moves Marines around the battlefield. The aircraft also is instrumental in humanitarian disaster relief.

Marine spokesman Capt. Christopher Harrison told Marine Corps Times that the Osprey is the Corps’ “most in-demand and deployed aircraft,” and that at “any given moment, five to seven” MV-22 squadrons are forward-deployed.

The Corps’ 2019 aviation plan noted that Marine officials were aware of “personnel deficits” and shortfalls in “qualifications and experience” at its Osprey squadrons.

Continued growth in the MV-22 Osprey program compounds the issue, as the Corps only has one initial training squadron charged with training Osprey pilots, maintainers and aircrew.

That squadron is Marine Medium Tiltrotor Training Squadron 204, or VMMT-204, based out the New River, North Carolina, air station. The Corps says it is looking at increasing capacity at the training squadron to pop out more aircrew members.

Harrison explained that the MV-22 community “is still in transition,” and that the 17th active MV-22 squadron just reached initial operating capability this spring — with another Osprey squadron on deck to stand up in 2021.

“Maintaining high readiness with the Osprey (or any modern aircraft, for that matter) is complex,” Harrison said in an emailed statement.

But the Corps has a plan to tackle the readiness issue. That plan is hinged on addressing manpower issues and modernizing older model Ospreys. The program is called the V-22 Readiness Program, Harrison said.

The Osprey readiness program “takes a holistic approach to readiness recovery by providing contract maintenance support, increased engineering support, and improved training for our maintainers and increased component supply depth and breadth,” Harrison explained.

But the current manning numbers for maintainers and air crew across the Osprey community do not appear dire.

According to data obtained by Marine Corps Times through a government records request, avionics, maintainers and crew chiefs are manned between 83 percent and 94 percent.

Tilt-rotor mechanics are overmanned slightly at 105 percent, while Osprey pilots are staffed at only 69 percent. This data is current as of February.

The personnel numbers appear relatively healthy, but continued growth in the community could stretch that talent pool and put stresses on the school house.

The Corps also is looking at upgrading its older Block B MV-22s to the Block C configuration, Harrison said.

According to Boeing, Block C variants have an upgraded weather radar that aids in navigating in inclement weather conditions, an improved electronic warfare system and enhanced displays in the cockpit that afford better situational awareness.

Boeing delivered its first Block C MV-22 to the Corps in 2012, according to a release on Boeing’s website.

Harrison told Marine Corps Times that upgrading the MV-22s to the C variant will streamline maintenance issues and improve overall readiness for the Corps’ fleet of tilt-rotors.

Harrison cited a couple of examples of where the Block C variant is already boosting readiness.

According to Harrison, Marine Helicopter Squadron One and VMAT-204 both have common Block C configurations and “regularly report” 80 percent mission capable rates. Marine Helicopter Squadron One is charged with transporting the president and other important officials.

The effort to upgrade B variants to Block C is known as the Common Configuration-Readiness and Modernization, or CC-RAM initiative, Harrison explained.

In January 2018, the Defense Department announced it had awarded Bell-Boeing a nearly $69 million contract to upgrade three Block B MV-22 aircraft to Block C.

“The modified aircraft will have the readiness enhancements the Block Cs have benefited from while providing the fleet with a common configuration to streamline maintenance and sustainment,” Harrison said.

The Corps is also looking to improve the nacelle, which is the engine housing, with improved wiring harnesses. Harrison said the new wiring will make the “nacelle more maintainer friendly.”

“We believe we’ll see an additive positive effect on readiness by introducing more reliable systems, streamlined procedures, and improved maintainability,” Harrison explained.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Much air was beaten into submission! Cool

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post