SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Solo. Star wars flick on Netflix
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solo. Star wars flick on Netflix Login/Join 
posted
Just a heads up for those that have Netflix and have not seen it. Solo:A Star Wars Story landed on Netflix yesterday.

I've not seen it yet, so I'm looking forward to seeing it.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I liked it for the most part, but question if it really needed to be made.

I think the disappointing box office numbers for Solo have cooled Disney's enthusiasm to make a lot more SW prequels and spin-offs quite a bit.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I liked it for the most part, but question if it really needed to be made.

It was not necesary, but it's not a bad flick.

quote:

I think the disappointing box office numbers for Solo have cooled Disney's enthusiasm to make a lot more SW prequels and spin-offs quite a bit.

Good. The LAST thing we need is more prequels. . .

How about this, Disney - PUSH THE STORY FORWARD for a change. . . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Spoiler:

The Kessel run being a short cut instead of a show of the Falcon's raw horsepower was disappointing.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Spoiler:

The Kessel run being a short cut instead of a show of the Falcon's raw horsepower was disappointing.

SPOILER

Not raw horsepower, but 'droid-infused computing/navigation power.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Spoiler:

a parsec is a distance measurement, not a time measurement. so in the original movie when he said he made the run in less than 12 parsecs, when it was supposed to be an 18 parsec run, it was understood that he took a shorter route than others were willing to take. it was never really about the falcon's speed. it was about the ship's sturdiness and the pilot's bravery. and power because it meant he was flying dangerously close to black holes. /nerd

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I would like to see it again. At the end of the summer, it was shown on a Delta flight to Anchorage. The plane was noisy and the ear buds I bought from Delta were junk. I really couldn't follow a lot of the movie. Tonight, I'll get the wood stove nice and warm and sit back and see what I missed.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a stand-alone movie, it's entertaining.

There isn't anything memorable however it doesn't shit-the-bed like TLJ.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I started to watch some of this. I'll probably finish it later.

My problem with the Disney Star Wars films (and most modern films) is not what is being filmed, but how they are being filmed. The tone of all their films is very much of fast-food entertainment designed to be consumed quickly by youths to make a lot of money and later viewed on smaller devices such as TV and iPads and iPhones (and Delta flights Wink .) Just a whole lotta quick cuts, shaky cam, tight framing, and non-stop generic music and dialogue and action. The end aesthetic of the film feels very... trite.

I miss that old school epic theatrical feel of movies. I say this because I was recently reminded of it when I started watching Raiders on Netflix (since N-flix is streaming all the Indiana Jones movies this month.) You know, long takes, wide shots, attention to mood and ambience and details, and that swelling dramatic London Symphony Orchestra score by John Williams. (Yes, I know he scored the Disney Star Wars too.) But from what little I've seen of Solo, it seems that Last Crusade does a pretty good job of setting up Indiana Jones as a youth in only 10 minutes. That feels way less hackneyed and money-grubbing to me than the Disney films.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
At this point, Disney is doing a much better job with the origin/prequel movies than the continuation of the main story. They screwed up by putting Solo out only six months after the garbage they aired in December 2017. If they’d waited a year and shown it last month, it would have been much more favorably received.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Rogue One>Solo>The Force Awakens>The Last Jedi

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I stand by my other post on this movie.

quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Solo was the dumbest movie about Star Wars that might, possibly, rival The Last Jedi for how bat-shit stupid it was.

Why was there a dumb ass train to move highly explosive things over dangerous terrain? In a world where space ships exist?

Why do they have to make his name have such a lame ass origin? Next, when they do Skywalker, because we need to know where the name came from obviously, some jack-hole in some dumb-ass sphincter of the galaxy will have a name like "Jetfaster" and he'll be showing off his anti-gravitation boots to his friends and one of them will say, "Hey dipshit, you're like some kind of sky walker, derp!" And then Anakin's great, great, great, great dildo grandpa will go, "Oh hey, that's a sweet name.. yeah!"

And then, because it's a lawless time way back then too, Jetfaster Assface will go down to the local constabulary, who all speak upper-crust British, and he'll say, "Hello chaps, I'd like to change my name from Jetfaster Assface to Jetfaster Skywalker!"

There. Now I've written the origins of the name Skywalker.

And speaking of origins of everything, why did they feel the need to ruin the Falcon? They gave the computer a hot-SJW injection, put an "escape pod" on the nose, and couldn't just leave the chess table alone? It's like they actually went out of their way to rub their brain byproduct, which is poop, on every little thing related to Han Solo. Did any of those stink hole writers even bother to open a technical manual? IIRC, the rounded pods on the sides of those designs ARE the escape pots.

GOOD LORD this movie pisses me off every time I think about it. They even managed to take all of the mythos that existed, both imagined and canonized, around Han and Chewie's friendship and turn it into a WB episode. "Next up on Hallmark Hall of Fame, some ridiculous crap we conjured up, in order to create the idea that we know what we're talking about.."

This was almost worse than TLJ. It's dog shit.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
a parsec is a distance measurement, not a time measurement. so in the original movie when he said he made the run in less than 12 parsecs, when it was supposed to be an 18 parsec run, it was understood that he took a shorter route than others were willing to take. it was never really about the falcon's speed. it was about the ship's sturdiness and the pilot's bravery. and power because it meant he was flying dangerously close to black holes. /nerd

This is all true, but I think the confusion arose because in the conversation between Solo and Obi-wan, they were in fact discussing the speed of the MF. When Han brought up the parsec story, it's like he was saying, "Sure she's fast, I was able to take a great short-cut with her".

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it. I think they did a decent job laying the ground work for the Solo we know and love. Plus we get to see the Falcon when it was pristine and intact.

Overall it was better then expected.

JC

Posts: 1267 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

This is all true, but I think the confusion arose because in the conversation between Solo and Obi-wan, they were in fact discussing the speed of the MF. When Han brought up the parsec story, it's like he was saying, "Sure she's fast, I was able to take a great short-cut with her".

I think it was intended to mean a combination of both efficient, risky navigation and pilot skill, as well as the modifications made to both the sublight engines and the hyperdrive.

My family and I actually enjoyed Solo.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My wife loves this movie. She enjoys the fun attitude and lack of politics. Plus there's the Ron Howard effect. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Terrible. The only half way decent Disney Star Wars film was Rogue one. And I’d give Rogue one a B. Solo and the rest of these films have been terrible. So terrible to me they make Lucas’s prequels look like mother fucking masterpieces.

LastCubScout is 100%. These are made for a different demographic, one with short attention spans, NPD, and a mind that easily gets invaded by marketing. The most marketed to generation in the history of the world. Film is going to shit. I remember when action popcorn films were actually pretty decent. Now they are just strait up trash. Used to they made art and money. Now it’s just money, nothing else matters. Do we have enough females, minorities, do we have enough of this age group, etc. Master film making is dying one director, actor, and actress at a time. I fear the day when Scorsese and PTA folds up their chairs. It’s all going tits up.

Disney has done three films in the last I don’t know, 15 years I thought were great, in this realm. Tron Legacy, the first Thor, and Doctor Strange. Outside of these three, nothing that great. I guess the Iron Man’s were decent when Favreau was at the helm. The Star Wars stories have just been shit. Solo was no different. Just a bunch of bs jammed in to try and explain X. It was horribly done. Generally when you fire a director mid shooting or at the end of the shooting, things don’t turn out too well. Solo was doomed before it finished shooting.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

I think it was intended to mean a combination of both efficient, risky navigation and pilot skill, as well as the modifications made to both the sublight engines and the hyperdrive.

My family and I actually enjoyed Solo.

In the original Star Wars, when Han said the Falcon did the Kessel Run in '12 Parsecs,' the writers thought a parsec was a unit of time. That's like them saying they did the Cannonball Run (East coast to west coast) in 20 hours. Except they got their astronomical terms wrong and used distance instead. Nerds have been trying to retroactively explain it for decades.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Doing the Kessel run in 12 parsecs was supposed to be the same as telling someone your Chevelle does a 12 second 1/4 mile. I wouldn't brag about my car by saying I can do an 18 mile trip in 12 miles. That was the original intent of 1977 at least.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
The Kessel run thingy...as far as I know, there's no Earth and Sol in the Star Wars universe so the whole 'parsec' debate as we understand the word is dead on arrival. What parsec means in that context is whatever George Lucas wanted it to mean.

As for newly uncovered shortcuts vs straight out E.T.s; given the so-called maelstrom that the Kessel run apparently is, it would seem to me that that shortcut discovery speaks as much to the navigational skill of the pilot than simply mashing on the go pedal. Skill is skill, no matter what. A complete storyline continuity non-issue to me. And yeah, I was there at the beginning 42 YEARS ago. Six or seven times even.

As for the rest of the movie, I thought Ehrenreich pretty much nailed Harrison Ford's Solo, though he wasn't really given much around him to work with. The rest of the characters were pretty much 2-D quality. But that's how it was from the very start. Only the Han Solo character in ANY of the SW movies has any depth to it at all.

This movie's storyline was disappointingly thin. There should've been much more depth to the backstory to infill any and all questions SW fans developed over the past four decades, but instead it played pretty much like all SW films: hop along from vignette to vignette with little in the way of meat to grab a hold onto. McDonald's instead of The Metropolitan Grill. Shame on what could've been...another opportunity lost.

Still, I kinda like a Big Mac every once in a blue moon. Not a horrible film, as long as expectations are kept in check. And frankly that's EASY to do given what studio is in charge of the SWU these days.

Comic book movie, through and through. In that context it's a B-/C+.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post