SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Solo. Star wars flick on Netflix
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solo. Star wars flick on Netflix Login/Join 
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
For me, Solo seemed like a rushed to the screen movie without much of a story. In fact they made the whole Chewie and Han Life Debt back story to.....hey they were in a cage together for 20 minutes.......really???????? The stories implied that Han saved Chewie and Chewie's family when an Imperial Officer decided he wanted a Wookie fur cape. Now that is how a Life Debt is earned.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I wouldn't brag about my car by saying I can do an 18 mile trip in 12 miles.

If your car was equipped with off-road capabilities and a powerful engine, and could complete the shorter distance you were required to travel in less time than someone using the traditional road you might. Wink

Space travel in the Star Wars Universe was never just about a linear quarter mile. Actually taking speed literally and looking at things like the Falcon's atmospheric speed capability, it would be considered quite unimpressive even by our undeveloped standards (around Mach 1). Space travel is a whole other ballgame though. Even warp drive technology from Star Trek implies shortening the trip by warping space either more or less depending on your warp engine capabilities along with navigation that would prevent collisions with objects in un-warped normal space.

Not saying that Solo was my favorite Star Wars film ever, but it had much more redeeming story and character quality than say TLJ IMHO. Rogue One has been the best of the recent movies, again IMHO.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tried to watch it last night

was not impressed - it just couldn't hold my attention - i kept fast-forwarding 5 mins asking myself 'what's the point??'

the Solo character was - okay

was not excited to see Woody Harrelson - bad choice IMO

just not a captivating movie like Rogue One

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I was disappointed to see Cthulhu go down without much of a fight.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16176 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I was disappointed. The script wasnt good.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
I was disappointed. The script wasnt good.

It just didn't feel that "Star Wars-y" to me and it didn't help that so much of the movie was VERY darkly lit so you had a hard time making things out.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I wouldn't brag about my car by saying I can do an 18 mile trip in 12 miles.

If your car was equipped with off-road capabilities and a powerful engine, and could complete the shorter distance you were required to travel in less time than someone using the traditional road you might. Wink

Space travel in the Star Wars Universe was never just about a linear quarter mile. Actually taking speed literally and looking at things like the Falcon's atmospheric speed capability, it would be considered quite unimpressive even by our undeveloped standards (around Mach 1). Space travel is a whole other ballgame though. Even warp drive technology from Star Trek implies shortening the trip by warping space either more or less depending on your warp engine capabilities along with navigation that would prevent collisions with objects in un-warped normal space.

Not saying that Solo was my favorite Star Wars film ever, but it had much more redeeming story and character quality than say TLJ IMHO. Rogue One has been the best of the recent movies, again IMHO.

You can keep beating that drum but in 1977 when Han was bragging about the Falcon he was most certainly eluding to how fast it was.
Solo made it about how smart the SJW robot was that they uploaded into the ship's computer.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
a parsec is a distance measurement, not a time measurement. so in the original movie when he said he made the run in less than 12 parsecs, when it was supposed to be an 18 parsec run, it was understood that he took a shorter route than others were willing to take. it was never really about the falcon's speed. it was about the ship's sturdiness and the pilot's bravery. and power because it meant he was flying dangerously close to black holes. /nerd

This is all true, but I think the confusion arose because in the conversation between Solo and Obi-wan, they were in fact discussing the speed of the MF. When Han brought up the parsec story, it's like he was saying, "Sure she's fast, I was able to take a great short-cut with her".

agreed. there are all sorts of fan theories as to why Lucas wrote it the way he did, and whether or not he even knew that there was an actual distance unit called a parsec.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
agreed. there are all sorts of fan theories as to why Lucas wrote it the way he did, and whether or not he even knew that there was an actual distance unit called a parsec.

Well, it's funny, but...after all that, I just rewatched that scene for the 14th time (sorry, 12th time), and I have another theory. Although Obi-wan was asking about the speed of Han's ship, Capt. Solo registered surprise that he had never heard of the Millenium Falcon. So the conversation took a brief diversion into the supposed fame of the vessel, which had apparently made this legendary bootleg run. Han then brought the discussion back on-topic by addressing Obi-wan's speed concern. So all this confusion was not really about the definition of parsec, but just how disjointed conversations can sometimes be.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Great observation kkina and you beat me to posting something similar. It was definitely a here and there conversation that covered a variety of points, boasts, and topics.

Going back to my original comments, I never said actual speed capability was not a factor or a significant portion of Han's boast, as the Falcon had a substantially upgraded hyperdrive and sublight engines, so raw power was a factor. But I also recall the Falcon being overtaken by TIE fighters while under regular engine power on more than one occasion, so it wasn't necessarily always the fastest in every situation.

I never paid much attention to the SJW overtones of the navigator femme-bot but did recognize the importance of the navigational computation power it offered the Falcon and the pilot as part of the overall, complimentary capabilities of the craft and crew, the hardware and the software as it were.

***spoiler alert*** They used the Solo movie to share the Kessel run experience and to not only clarify Han's boast of the Falcon's capabilities and everything that came into play, but to also resolve once and for all the whole "who shot first" controversy. At least that was my observation.

-Dtech

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
but to also resolve once and for all the whole "who shot first" controversy.

Han shot......period. Not first, not second. There was no gunfight. Han shot....Greedo dropped.

Just saying. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
but to also resolve once and for all the whole "who shot first" controversy.

Han shot......period. Not first, not second. There was no gunfight. Han shot....Greedo dropped.

Just saying. Smile

It actually depends on which version you watch- the original, in which only Han shot at all, or the 2004 doctored PC version, where Greedo pays for his atrocious blaster aim with his life, taking Han's return shot.

[Incidentally, I never had a problem with Han shooting first (well, only). I don't feel there's an ethical issue if your life is in imminent danger from someone who has already threatened to kill you, and you decide to act pre-emptively.]

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
That is exactly why I posted the "who shot first" in quotes. For me, there was never any controversy and the original stands. Han was threatened/in danger, and he defended himself, in both movies. Wink

-Dtech

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
V.G.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
Until someone from Disney reimburses me the ticket price for The Last Jedi, I'm not watching any more!

By God that movie was terrible!

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally watched it. I liked it. Daenerys er Emilia didn't get enough screen time. She sure is a looker. And proof positive you don't have to be a pain in the ass SJW to portray a strong woman. Unlike that screeching feminist robot.

The only way I see Lando liking that thing was if he had it chain him to a wall at night, strip him down, put a gag ball in his mouth and whip him raw.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
i thought it sucked (library dvd).

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Star Wars was a product of the cold war, as was Bond,Galactica,etc. We don't have the mentality to make a good Star Wars movie. I think we should put the franchise into the hands of a cold warrior.

I also think that George Lucas saw the writing on the wall and sold when he could. He may be a dubious filmmaker in his later years but he does have a reputation as a skilled businessman.

Still, I did like Rogue One. It goes into my good folder and blows my theory away. It's interesting to note that there were only new people making this film.... not even John Williams was involved.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by White Phosphorus:
I also think that George Lucas saw the writing on the wall and sold when he could. He may be a dubious filmmaker in his later years but he does have a reputation as a skilled businessman.

I think selling before Obama tax increases might have been a big factor. Lucas sold out months before capital gains taxes increased from 15 to 20%. Also before a 3.8% Medicare surtax on investment income, along with decreased gift tax exemptions. These taxes add up to hundreds of millions of dollars. Plus at the time, he was engaged to his wife Melody Hobson, president of Ariel Investments and a top businesswoman. I'm sure she advised him on financial issues.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
It was pretty meh.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post