SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Movie Pass subscription service: See a movie in the theaters everyday for 10 bucks a month
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movie Pass subscription service: See a movie in the theaters everyday for 10 bucks a month Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
Have you guys heard of this service? Someone got it for me for Xmas. $9.99 a month and you get to see one movie a day at participating theaters. In my area there’s like 20 including my two favorite theaters. The way it works is you download the app and you get a Movie Pass Mastercard in the Mail. When you go to the movie theater (as long as you are 100 yards from the theater) you simply select the movie and time on the app, then use your card at the kiosk or window. Some theaters support E-tickets so you don’t even have to go to he kiosk. Just show them the app with the ticket number. So far this week I have seen 12 Strong, The Commuter, and Den of Thieves. Spoiler alert I liked Den of Thieves the best. For any other movie buffs this is a hell of a deal. One movie a month pays for the service. Otherwise $120 a year for 365 movies is a great deal. No black out days but you can’t see IMAX or 3D.

https://www.moviepass.com

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Nice find! I may sign up for it later in the year, when the more enticing summer movies start rolling out.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
I got in when they were having a sale, $6.95 a month. Best decision ever.

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Underworld2086:

Have you ever had any issues? I’m thinking of getting a second subscription for the GF or anyone else coming to the movies with me.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine got it back in November or so. I haven’t hung out with him much since he did so, but I have run into him at the movies once or twice since. In other words, he absolutely loves it and sees pretty much every movie that comes to town.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by Underworld2086:

Have you ever had any issues? I’m thinking of getting a second subscription for the GF or anyone else coming to the movies with me.

Not yet and hope it stays that way. I love being able to go to any damn movie I want. The lack of 3d or imax doesn't faze me either. I just saw paddington 2 a couple days ago. Normally I'd wait for netflix but I'm so pleased I went to see this charming film.

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do... or do not.
There is no try.
Picture of fau
posted Hide Post
The only knock I've heard about this program is that not all theaters accept it. If the theaters around you do - it sounds like an unbelievable deal.

Posts: 2736 | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Since you need a smart phone it's OBE from the git go. I like $4 Mondays and Wednesdays. And $5.25 matinees. And $7.65 senior tickets. I haven't paid over $10 in years. For the first time yesterday it as so crowded for the first 12:30pm showing there wasn't an empty seat anywhere near me. And this lady kept kicking my seat.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
My wife and I bought them. $90 ($99?) upfront from Costco.com for 12 months. Buy the electronic voucher from Costco, use the voucher on MoviePass.com, and the debit card shows up 7-10 days later.

Works great around here, no problems. Purchase tickets from the app, go to the window or automated kiosk, and pay with the MoviePass Debit Card as per usual. Theaters around here are so used to seeing the pass that I just hand both passes to the teller and they know to split the transaction onto the two cards.

Works at all of the theaters around here--granted, we only have huge cineplexes by big names like Regal/Edwards and AMC.

Movies around here are also very expensive--regular tickets are $14.50.

We've knocked out 6 movies in our first 3 weeks of ownership.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Do you have to wait a few weeks before a new release is eligible?

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Wow, not sure how I missed this!

We go to movies pretty regularly, once or twice a month. Always use discount coupons we get at Costco for Regal cinemas.

We would probably go more, but at $9 per person per movie, we wait for many movies we want to see to come out on RedBox. For this price, we can see them in the theater with no worries of paying for a dud.

Turns out Costco has a deal on the MoviePass as well, $89.99 for a year. By my math, as long as we see 12 movies in a year, we are ahead of the discounted coupon price.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Do you have to wait a few weeks before a new release is eligible?

According to the FAQ, no restrictions at all. Only downside I see it doesn’t cover the 3D or RPX showings.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Buddy told me about this a few weeks ago. I think we're going to get this when the good movies hit in the spring/summer. I have a feeling we'll be watching Avengers Affinity War more than once. Big Grin

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used this with a family? Buying at the door, I could see that it might be difficult to get four good seats together, but the price is less than one movie a month at our local participating theater.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
My mother and father in law gave me this for Christmas and I have yet to use it. I need to. This is just a terrible time of year for us

But there are a couple movies out I want to see now, might have to mark use of it a couple times in the next week

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
Has anyone used this with a family? Buying at the door, I could see that it might be difficult to get four good seats together, but the price is less than one movie a month at our local participating theater.

Interesting concern. The movie pass only works with standard showings, and you must purchase the tickets within 100 feet of the theater. Standard showings around here don't come with reserved seating.

You also have to use a separate account login for each ticket purchased. My wife and I separately reserve our showing through our individual app, then go to the window to pay together. With children, you may have to log in and out of a number of accounts if they don't have their own phones.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Buddy told me about this a few weeks ago. I think we're going to get this when the good movies hit in the spring/summer. I have a feeling we'll be watching Avengers Affinity War more than once. Big Grin

Only works for each movie once.

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
With the exception of the last couple months, what with the rush of movie releases to make oscar consideration, I'd go week after week without seeing anything that I would consider seeing at the theater. And I check every Thursday and Friday for limited release films I'm waiting for, which sometimes never play. I see this as a must have for movie critics, who are obliged to see good and bad movies and can't even walk out of the poor ones. I mean they even have their 10 worst movies of the year articles. How the hell can you pay to see 10 bad movies?

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I saw that. Most of them are in big markets. I looked on the app and all the AMC’s in my area are still available for use.