SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Passed my Technician license ham test today.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passed my Technician license ham test today. Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
Now to start figuring out what radio to get to ease into it. One of the proctors had a few for sale, pre-programmed for the area repeaters. $35 to $200+. Hand talkies.

I want to start with an HT, and either buy a mobile for the Jeep or rig an antenna and power for the HT. I think I want a multiband radio. Don’t need anything stupid fancy for now.

Words of advice?

Oh, I took the General just for shits and giggles after I passed the Tech. No studying for it before hand. Overheard him tell another proctor I only missed it by one! Almost lol

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I went with a Kenwood TH-F6A as it gets great reviews, easy to program, adds 220 band, and can receive over a huge range of frequencies.

I've done a lot of listening, but not much talking as time just hasn't been there... :/

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I went with the Yaesu-8DR.

I added an extra antenna to my truck and wired it into the cab. I also took it to a local radio guy and had him remove the resistor that locks you out of local LE/EMS type freqs (roughly 140-160). Been pretty happy with it. Although I don't transmit a whole lot, it's nice to have in some of the country I find myself in where cell coverage is a nice dream.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
congrats

I started out with a Yaesu VX6R - no longer available new

my first mobile was an Icom IC2200 and I still have it - a great 2m 70cm rig

join a local repeater group - might run you a whopping $15 a year but it will be worth it

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Congrats chongosuerte!

If you were close enough I'd gift you with a vintage working tweaked Heathkit "Hot Water 101", Yaseu mic, and a pristine Bencher chrome paddle key which would be a great start for when you get your General. Smile

Just too damn heavy to ship. Frown If you have any buddies that come to western South Dakota for pheasant, prairie poodle, or what have you, they'd be welcome to pick the rig up to take back to you. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the team! I'm General and working on Extra.
I used to keep my Icom 7000 in the car but it was overkill as I never used HF mobile. It's just a little Kenwood in there now.

For handhelds, the Icom 51 is pretty nice.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I started with a couple of cheap Baofeng UV-5Rs and then added an Icon 7200 HF, Yaesu VHF Mobile VHF/UHF (can’t remember the model right now), a Kenwood handheld, Yaesu VX3 and 6, and a Yaesu FT60. I have been lazy on taking the general test due to plain old life. I really enjoy HF and use our local club repeater, especially in storm and tornado weather (actually helped when we had one pass over our house and touch down a few blocks away. Skywarn is helpful. If I bought another HT I’d get a Yaesu VX8 series. I also keep a roll up J Pole by Ed Fong (one mounted at the house inside of a PVC tube and one with me.). Currently carry the Yaesu FT60 everywhere. Dipole Type antennas have gotten me out to Europe, Caribbean, all over South America etc with stock power on 10m. 73’s

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

This has always interested me but I'm not sure what you do after learning about everything and pass your test.

Do most just chat with others or listen to others talk about whatever and try to see how far their gear can go?

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! The Yaesu FT-60R will probably fit your requirements. It's a solid, basic two-band radio with extended receive coverage and has performed well for a number of years now.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Like 10X said I've had a couple Baofeng UV-5Rs I got them because they are cheap and I could use them for our 2 meter repeater and our some of our LE here is still using 460 mhz and I could listen to them

My first mobile was a Icom V8000 and now I have a Yaesu FT-2900 in my house for 2 meter and a Yaesu FT-2980 in my truck. My club just put up a 6 meter repeater so I got a old Midland low band off ebay to use for it. I hope you enjoy ham radio

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Congrats!

This has always interested me but I'm not sure what you do after learning about everything and pass your test.

Do most just chat with others or listen to others talk about whatever and try to see how far their gear can go?

It kind of depends on what you want to do and what license you have. Some of my ham friends were friends before we became hams. A good many I knew from CB days. Some people like to talk a lot of DX and some just like talking local. Our club 2 meter repeater is active in the mornings with guys talking on their way to work and coming home after work. Plus they are taking during the day and night. Then when we have bad weather we keep up with each other and help anyone the need help. A couple years ago we had a huge flood here in Louisiana most of AT&T cells stop working and since we have the best 2 meter repeater around here lots of people came to get messages out.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post