SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    A guy taste testing old military rations.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A guy taste testing old military rations. Login/Join 
Picture of Kuisis
posted
This guy is a fan of old military rations. Surprisingly entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkWM6mz_JVo

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Love this guy's youtube channel.

Here's one of him eating a 1899-1902 British Emergency Ration Field Service Oldest MRE Beef Eaten Survival Food Review Test

https://youtu.be/jZoHuMwZwTk

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Easy to get sucked in to those.

"Nice!"

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may have spent more time than I care to admit watching his videos.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
Don't even need to click the link. I already know you are talking about the Bob Ross of MRE reviews, Steve1989! I like to watch his vids at night to relax and help put me to sleep. That isn't to say his vids are boring, just that they do a great job calming me down.

Plus, the dude would eat 30-year-old Armadillo tails if you sealed them in a tin can, and explain in detail just how terrible they are. Fun channel for sure.

- Bret

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Beans and muthafuckers...

And them round chocolates.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
He was amusing with his enthusiasm

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very intriguing channel. I much preferred the C rations back in the day than the early MREs like the dehydrated beef and pork patties, four fingers of death, and upchucking ala king. Smile

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Chicken ala king was good with the little Tabasco bottles. Otherwise? Yuck.

We used to eat Vietnam era C-Rats when I was fighting fires in the early 80s. I liked them.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I too have watched his vids, and find them interesting and relaxing.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Chicken ala king was good with the little Tabasco bottles. Otherwise? Yuck.

We used to eat Vietnam era C-Rats when I was fighting fires in the early 80s. I liked them.

That was the best of the originals as I remember. The new stuff, all I can say is the troops have it much better than I did 35 years ago MRE wise. And boots.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
The guy is enthused with what he does - no doubt about it. Great to watch.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of what someone might have stumbled across in the game Fallout. LOL

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
It somehow seems very appropriate that he listens to Frank Zappa.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I was thinking - you guys are tripping.

But this guy IS Relaxing to listen to. AND he is VERY enthusiastic about digging into an ancient box of foodstuff... He's funny.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
OK. I'm hooked.

My favorite quote from him after eating a compressed meat bar from 1961: "It's almost unpleasant" Big Grin

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Here's one of him eating a 1899-1902 British Emergency Ration Field Service Oldest MRE Beef Eaten Survival Food Review Test

https://youtu.be/jZoHuMwZwTk

That made me gag. Repeatedly. But his videos are engrossing.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 63 was stationed at Ft.Gordan and once on KP we had to break open 5 gallon cans of C rations. the cans had Beef and beans which wasn't to bad after our cook added a few things, these were called Squad meals and each can had also a roll of TP and two packs of Lucky Strike cigarettes, the cigs had on the pack "I shall return" Douglas MacArthur. Wish I would have kept some of those packs. These rations were made in early 43.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: satch,

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
we had tins of Jenkins Turkey, and you were lucky to find a piece of turkey - more jelly and gristle than something edible

we'd either trade it away, or toss it away

in either even it wasn't worth the calories expended to open the tin

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
Armadillo was mentioned earlier as a meat morsel of sorts....

Did you know armadillos are vectors for leprosy also now known as Hansen's disease? No, their population isn't completely riddled with it, but there's a huge percentage that are.

Only 3-5% of the human population is subject to contracting the bacteria and it takes about 2 years with a variety of meds to cure it.

I wouldn't touch an Armadillo with gloves...on you.

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post