SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    July 30, 1945 - USS Indianapolis sinks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

July 30, 1945 - USS Indianapolis sinks Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Video poem about the USS Indianapolis by Bob Welsh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqykFf-6NYg

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Quinn says it happened in June...

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quinn is mistaken.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quinn may be inaccurate, but that's the best scene in Jaws. Watch the expression on Dreyfuss' face.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Quinn may be inaccurate, but that's the best scene in Jaws.

Indeed, one of the best scenes ever period. I love "I'll never put on a life jacket again."

*and his name is Quint, which I'm not sure I ever knew.

Anyways, the thread is about the USS Indianapolis and what an amazing story. 2 weeks later, war's over.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep... Quint. And apology for slight thread drift. The treatment of Captain McVey after the sinking was inexcusable

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Just don't watch the Nicholas Cage movie.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
what an amazing story. 2 weeks later, war's over.

The war was over 2 weeks later specifically because of the Indianapolis.

On July 26th, 4 days prior to their sinking, they had delivered a load of atomic bomb parts and enriched uranium to Tinian.

Those components were used to assemble "Little Boy", the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima on August 6th.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
what an amazing story. 2 weeks later, war's over.

The war was over 2 weeks later specifically because of the Indianapolis.

On July 26th, 4 days prior to their sinking, they had delivered a load of atomic bomb parts and enriched uranium to Tinian.

Those components were used to assemble "Little Boy", the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima on August 6th.

oh yeah?

posted Hide Post
quote:

...Those components were used to assemble "Little Boy", the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima on August 6th.

Did another ship deliver parts for "Fat Man>?" dropped on Nagasaki? If so, it's been overshadowed by the Indianapolis sinking.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

...Those components were used to assemble "Little Boy", the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima on August 6th.

Did another ship deliver parts for "Fat Man>?" dropped on Nagasaki? If so, it's been overshadowed by the Indianapolis sinking.

Most of "Fat Man" was assembled stateside, then flown on a B-29 to Tinian. The plutonium core and initiator were flown to Tinian on a separate C-54 transport plane.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
If you ever want to read about it, get the book "In Harm's Way," I highly recommend it.

It's enough to make a grown man weep reading about the hardships those men went through. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I enjoy that scene...Very well done and very powerful.

I had an Uncle who had to abandon ship during the battle of The Coral Sea....He said they lost some men to sharks. I couldn't imagine the terror and helplessness of being in that situation.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
There is a new book out on the Indianapolis sinking. I thought it was well written. Last year the wife and I went to Texas to watch the O's play the Rangers. At the airport for the trip home I met Cleatus Lebow, who was a survivor of the sinking and is quoted several times in the new book.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
What's the new book? I have 3-4 books on the Indy, but only read In Harm's Way so far. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Doesn't matter how accurate the story is... that is still one of the best scenes ever in a movie. Robert Shaw nailed it.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ohioup:
Quinn is mistaken.

Robert Shaw reportedly was so drunk filming this scene that if he said “1918” it wouldn’t have surprised anyone.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post