Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battlebots Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted
No Battlebots thread this year? Discovery Channel, Fridays at 8:00pm EDT. Excellent designs this year with some epic bouts so far.

Maybe the most beautiful bot ever, Hypershock, looked to have real potential, comprehensively eviscerated. Exposed wheels not the way to go.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched that last night. How fast some of the fights were over was surprising. Especially when Tombstone separates Gigabyte in two.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Battlebots!!! Yes!

Hypershock was gutted. We have the home version and my son loves it. You have tombstone, minataur, witch dr, and I forget the 4 th one. Little RC bots and they have pieces that fly off when hit.

A couple of interesting new designs this year, the cannon didn't do squat.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
Watched that last night. How fast some of the fights were over was surprising. Especially when Tombstone separates Gigabyte in two.

Tombstone is a beast. How do you survive a 50 pound spinning blade?

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:

That was the thing, Tombstone had lost to the previous iteration (Megabyte?) before, so I was hoping for a good fight.

Then there was the bacon burger... points for showmanship, but it was a fight no show.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:

Since the bots' weight is limited -- 250 lbs? -- that blade means the rest of the unit is also going to get thrown around when contacting another bot. The other bot gets to eat the blade but I've seen Tombstone get thrown farther than the one he hits. At least he's usually still in one piece.

That heavy blade also limits how much armor Tombstone can carry and it's open wheels are its vulnerability. If Tombstone doesn't win fast, could be trouble. When it does win, it's usually as spectacular as wins come. Not sure I'd want to be in the same county when Tombstone meets a fast spinning heavy drum.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thought Gigabyte would have a small chance at a repeat, but when Tombstone was sat down, the blade was all of 1/4 inch from the floor. Yeah, all over but the shouting. Kinda cool that the guy told Gigabyte to stop moving and they would count to 10 instead of smashing him to 30 pieces. Learned that lesson well.

Thought it was neat when Biohazard ran to the nut many years ago too.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
There's no tap out in Battlebots... Lol that was pretty funny.

At least Tombstones driver wasn't an ass, one hit and that thing would have been nothing but glitter. He let him time out.

I am not so much a fan of the multiple bot teams. That cannon was worthless, not sure what they thought that was going to accomplish

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
How about lock jaw getting stuck in the saw hole in the floor? What a bummer!

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Bummer indeed. Donald Hudson can't get a break.

Can anyone apply any logic to the split decision when Chomp lost? The 'fight' reminded me of the time I took out the trash.

Looks like Bronco was ready for them.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
There is only one explanation for that split vote, the woman judge voted for a woman built bot.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is only one explanation for that split vote, the woman judge voted for a woman built bot.

Yep.

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Bye Chomp! I hate that bot.

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I love watching battlebots, it is almost a study in martial arts, striker vs. grappler vs. thrower. I also like the differences in the bots: speed/finesse vs bulk/armor/power. The strikers show the difference and preference of the old medieval knights' choice of a hammer over a blade (saw) but they seem to sometimes take as much damage as they give out. I have seen them bounce back/off put them upside down or bounced off a wall. The timed swinging strikers like Chomp's design are like a big puncher vs. a shifty boxer: a lots of swings with very very few effective hits. I have only seen a couple successful grapplers which were a combination of speed/power/size along with excellent driving vs the bot they went up against. The successful throwers remind me a lot of watching a judo tournament: low to ground with powerful sweeps and throws. It shows that throws involving gravity and the ground cause a lot of damage.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Whiplash is a pretty cool new design

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking the best design at the time was Biohazard. If you missed it, it was basically a moving floor tile that turned everybody else upside down. SOW and Nightmare had been built with Biohazard in mind. The most innovative design this time around would be Huge.

Am I the only one that wants to see Chomp fight Tombstone?

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
The most innovative design this time around would be Huge.

I would have thought Huge would be turned to confetti but surprisingly effective.

quote:

You're not alone but my fear is it would be over fast one way or the other. But yeah, those two may deserve each other.

Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Chomp's builder did an AMA (Ask me Anything) thread on Reddit two years ago where they detailed their build and the issues they had with the actual battle box vs what they planned. For instance, it has magnets that energize when it fires the hammer and are supposed to anchor it to the floor. However the battlebox floor was made of three sheets of 1/8th inch steel, not the 3/8th they expected. Subsequently the magnets are useless. There's also some odd piston actuating the hammer that is unbelievably powerful, but has a ton of upwards momentum causing Chomp to jump when it's fired. Combine the two issues and it's hammer is very ineffective. Especially when they had to dial down the power to, attempt, to keep it on the ground. Reading the AMA I gained a TON on respect for the bot and the build. They are truly the only team that is attempting to add autonomous systems to their bot.

That said, it's a complete shit bot and completely ineffective against just about any situation. I was STUNNED that they did nothing to fix it's jumping problem in the two years that have passed.

Huge is an AWESOME design. But, I want to see how those tall wheels stand up against any horizontal spinner.

Still my favorite is Bronco. It was AWESOME to see it beat Bombshell handily. Tombstone is a favorite as I love it's simple style and great driving. Ray is also very nice and helpful to other teams. He really has a love of the sport. ICEwave is one I'd love to see to well. I LOVE a two stroke motor in there spooling up and destroying stuff. Ultimately, I think it's bar is too high and they will be unable to fight against shorter bots like Tombstone or Minotaur.

Thanks to you guys for starting this thread. I love watching it and was completely unaware it was back on for a new season. My 6 and 4 year old boys are obsessed with watching it. If you guys have never been over to r/BattleBots on Reddit I highly recommend a stop by. Many of the builders are very active on the subreddit. I've had great conversations with the builders of Bombshell and Tombstone.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Sock, if your boys love the show, have you seen the remote control battlebot toys? My son loves it! It's an arena and has tombstone and witch dr. You can also get minataur and another one. Pieces fly off, it s pretty cool.

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
The most innovative design this time around would be Huge.

I would have thought Huge would be turned to confetti but surprisingly effective.

quote:

You're not alone but my fear is it would be over fast one way or the other. But yeah, those two may deserve each other.

Curious why you think they deserve each other? One is a useless design and the other is a killing machine.