SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Outlaw King is coming on Netflix, 11/9
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outlaw King is coming on Netflix, 11/9 Login/Join 
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted
https://www.google.com/search?...0..35i39.5BihiAoPziI

This looks like a great movie. I'm really looking forward to it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I just saw the trailer earlier tonight and am interested. I love sword-and-armor movies and TV. It will be about Robert the Bruce. Many will recognize that name from the movie Braveheart.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Trailers 1 and 2:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-G1BME8FKw

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHpO9AG_dkE

Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I have high hopes for this film. Really looking forward to watching it.

The more I learn the more you realize how badly Braveheart mangles history.

An enjoyable film but not even remotely close to historically accurate.

I am finishing up Jack Whyte's guardian series. Each book tackles one of the big players from the Scottish side in the war for independence. 1. William Wallace 2. Robert the Bruce 3. Andrew Morey.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daikyu:
I have high hopes for this film. Really looking forward to watching it.

The more I learn the more you realize how badly Braveheart mangles history.

Both Braveheart and Rob Roy came out around the same time. One was entertaining and catchy but, historically inaccurate, the other more historically accurate but, not as attractive. If anything, both movies were able to shine a light on a segment of history that many people weren't aware of and didn't care for, however one got endless quotes and memes which fed it's popularity.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong. I love Braveheart. It is a fantastic movie to watch. An epic. That is why it was so popular.

Rob Roy I have not seen in a long time but I remember enjoying it. A much smaller intimate film. Hard for Rob Roy to compete with the spectacle of Braveheart.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daikyu:
Don't get me wrong. I love Braveheart. It is a fantastic movie to watch. An epic. That is why it was so popular.

Rob Roy I have not seen in a long time but I remember enjoying it. A much smaller intimate film. Hard for Rob Roy to compete with the spectacle of Braveheart.

plus, Braveheart had Sophie Marceau.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Now available on Netflix. Sounds like it's heavy on battle scenes and gore. I'll probably watch tonight.

Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
The music is awesome thus far...the churchy choir stuff.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16176 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
A great film. Just a short slice of Robert the Bruce’s life. I wanted more.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Wife and I watched it last night. Started off a bit slow in order set the background. (For those who've seen Braveheart, Outlaw King would be next in chronological order.) Really picks up about 1/3 - 1/2 of the way.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
We saw it last night and really enjoyed it. Great Loudoun hill battle scene.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Watched it last night. Wasn't bad. Worth what I paid.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good, very good. The film condenses several years of time and events into it's 120 run time.

How they filmed Battle on Loudoun Hill ranks right up there with GoT Battle of the Bastards, the as best middle age battle scene. Showing the cavalry trying to wedge into the flanks was really good, something that cinema hasn't really been able to capture.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I wasn't that impressed. They seemed to lose the narrative from time to time, and focused too much on battle scenes. Maybe they tried to squeeze too many years of history into not enough movie.

If you like medieval battle scenes, you'll love it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I would have liked it a lot more as a series I think

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3583 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I was a bit disappointed. It just didn't grab me. The battles and fights were good to epic, but Pine as Robert Bruce seemed pretty bland. It could be that I'm just spoiled by long, engrossing story arcs like Game of Thrones, Vikings, and The Last Kingdom. I agree with others, two hours seems like far too little time for big stories in this day and age.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’m generally in agreement with the last three posts, it was aw-iight.

Especially agree with Andyb, it would have been better as a series. While watching, I found myself thinking...”They’re going to wrap this all up in the next 30 minutes?!?”

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Typical Netflix, almost, but NOT quit.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Not bad. The dialog was a little lacking in some parts. The battle scenes where pretty good.

I'm surprise the ASPCA isn't chiming in on the battle scenes where many horses are taken to the ground.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post