SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Dogs of Berlín on (my) Netflix
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dogs of Berlín on (my) Netflix Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Found it Almost by accident. Quite good.
German fiction, cops story.
Ethnic Mobs, crooked cops And lots of twists. 8 episodes long.

Worth the time

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
I've not seen "Berlin Dogs" since I don't have Netflix. However, if you don't know it already, look for "4 Blocks", which I suspect provided the pattern. It's a bit like a hard-boiled version of "The Sopranos"; the struggling mob boss is even nicknamed "Toni", though true to local conditions his clan is Lebanese, not Italian. Shot on scene in Berlin's "colorful" boroughs of Kreuzberg and Neukölln, with lots of street talent.

Of course it's dramatized fiction, but shows real-world issues and developments in Berlin; probably the most authentic German crime series (though I would also recommend Im Angesicht des Verbrechens if it can be found with dubbing or subtitles). Two seasons so far, the first having been better in my opinion.

Posts: 2416 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
BansheeOne, any other recommendations I might be able to find on Netflix or Amazon that would be entertaining and let me brush up on my German? Not necessarily dark crime stuff as that often has dialog that is hard to follow.

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Funny enough, all the references i found we're to Dogs of Berlín rather than Berlín Dogs , go figure.

Thanks for the heads up

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
BansheeOne, any other recommendations I might be able to find on Netflix or Amazon that would be entertaining and let me brush up on my German?

I'm not Banshee, but I can recommend "Babylon Berlin" on Netflix. It's a German crime drama series set during the late Weimar Republic era. (Late 1920s/early 1930s, just before Hitler's rise to power.)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
"Deutschland 83" about an East German spy posing as a West German soldier is not bad; a second season set in 1986 is currently coming up. There is a sequel/remake of "Das Boot" out on Sky, but I haven't seen it and am wary of a "Re-Boot". Others that have gotten high praise are time-travel mistery "Dark", black comedy "Hindafing" about politics in a Bavarian village (both also by Netflix), lost identity mystery "Weinberg", the self-explanatory "Bad Banks", "Ku'damm 56" and second season "- 59" about post-WW II Berlin, and "Charité" about the famous Berlin hospital during the time of Robert Koch and Rudolf Virchow.

quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Funny enough, all the references i found we're to Dogs of Berlín rather than Berlín Dogs , go figure.

Actually that was my mistake, got my wires crossed while typing.

Posts: 2416 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Thanks, BansheeOne! Sounds like a great bunch of flicks, I look forward to watching!

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post