SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Train to Busan!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Train to Busan! Login/Join 
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted
Korean zombie movie. It's on Netflix now.
Very well done.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was wondering about this movie. Korea has been making a lot of great films in the last several years. The Host is a great fun to watch monster movie. Musa and War of the Arrows are two of my favorite period pieces.

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I've so burned out on the whole tired zombie trend, but Train to Busan was a well made take on the genre. To be fair, they're more like the infected 28 Days Later citizens, that instantly turn and run full tilt after people, as opposed to shambling corpses that eat bodies.

The film definitely has the pacing, momentum, dark humor, and quirky characters that I think is sorely lacking on TV's The Walking Dead. I even thought it was cool how, since it was a Korean production, they managed to fit in their typical ubiquitous repressed familial angst, strained emotional relationships, and heart-wrenching screaming-through-tears scenes so effortlessly. Yes, I can safely say that this was the best Korean zombie film I've ever seen...

When I saw it in the theater, there was a point when the projector broke down. The main characters are readying up to combat their way through 4 train cars full of infected people to get to their loved ones trapped in a bathroom. As they prepare to open the train door, the whole theater went dark. It was like the most perfectly intense point for a film to crap out. I was pretty amused at the timing. It was only about a 20-minute delay before things were back online.

I also saw an animated prequel to Train to Busan called Seoul Station. It details the initial outbreak of the virus. The deal is that it starts infecting the homeless around the train station, but since the homeless are frequently disheveled looking, ill, and mentally unbalanced, you can't tell if they're a zombie or not. It's animated well, but I thought the pacing was a little choppier than Busan.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'll have to check that out.

quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
The film definitely has the pacing, momentum, dark humor, and quirky characters that I think is sorely lacking on TV's The Walking Dead.

TWD has definitely felt lacking lately. But to be fair, it's a lot easier to keep that up for 1 two hour-long film than it is for 99 one hour-long episodes... Wink

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Train to Busan is a good zombie flick, I enjoyed it.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
TWD has definitely felt lacking lately. But to be fair, it's a lot easier to keep that up for 1 two hour-long film than it is for 99 one hour-long episodes.

I think TWD has just gone on too long. Breaking Bad did it right. 5 seasons of sharp writing, quirky characters, dark gallows humor, a buildup to legitimately badass finale scenes, and then bow out gracefully. Done! End! And then, if TWD wanted to continue storytelling, they could create a spinoff like BB did, like Better Call Daryl... Razz

But, we're at the point in the zombie genre where even the Master himself, George Romero, can't even tell a decent zombie story in movie length anymore. (*COUGH*) Diary/Survival of the Dead... However, not to sidetrack this thread too much, I'll post the Train to Busan trailer.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr_Black
posted Hide Post
Just watched it on Amazon Prime. Thought it was very well done and enjoyed it. Noticed that there was a sequel that was just released this year titled Train to Busan Presents: Peninsula. I haven't watched it yet but it is available for rent on Prime. Here is the trailer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mr_Black,

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 881 | Location: NW PA | Registered: October 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
It was a good one. Worth the watch.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There's a very similar Korean zombie film on Netflix called "#Alive". It just takes places in an apartment complex instead of a train, and isn't quite as good as Train To Busan.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed it. Really liked the characters.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Welcome back!

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this. I've been meaning to see this movie. Excellent.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16304 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Welcome back!

About that...check the date on the OP.

I am thankful that this thread was revived, just watched it and it is an outstanding movie.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Just finished the animated prequel. Not bad. Decent twist in the end.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where can I find the prequel?

Just finished Peninsula. Pretty good. It made me miss my former DaeWoo DR200 rifle from many years ago.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
Where can I find the prequel?

Free with ads at Vudu and Amazon Prime.

https://www.vudu.com/content/m...Seoul-Station/871254

https://www.amazon.com/Seoul-S...d-Joon/dp/B071F9VJ2L

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Just finished the animated prequel. Not bad. Decent twist in the end.

Just finished it myself. Really, really bleak. Decent enough but I liked Train to Busan better.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr_Black:
Just watched it on Amazon Prime. Thought it was very well done and enjoyed it. Noticed that there was a sequel that was just released this year titled Train to Busan Presents: Peninsula. I haven't watched it yet but it is available for rent on Prime. Here is the trailer.

I watched this one, I enjoyed it. The first one is the better of the two. Korea has been making some great movies over the last few decades.

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post