SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Shogun (novel)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shogun (novel) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2539 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Very cool! I bookmarked that and will peruse it.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is very good. You'll enjoy it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Konichiwa, Toronaga-Sama

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
Definitely worth the time to read.

After you finish, I'd highly recommend you first read Tai-Pan and then follow it up with Noble House

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:
Learning from Shogun
Learning from SHOGUN:
Japanese History and Western Fantasy

This book appeared in September 1980, just before the television mini-series based on James Clavell's novel SHOGUN. It was the result of a workshop that I organized in the spring of that year at the University of California, Santa Barbara, where I was then teaching, and was edited and produced in Santa Barbara over the summer. The design was by Marc Treib of the College of Environmental Design at Berkeley, then already well known for his graphic design and books on architecture.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AW_239
posted Hide Post
Sigforum has once again caused me to buy a book. I would up ordering Shogun and Taiko by Eiji Yoshikawa. Got a beach trip coming up so one of those will fill the void.

Posts: 764 | Registered: January 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stray Round:
Tai Pan made it to the screen but was butchered and forgotten.

Bryan Brown lurching through it, mugging all the way.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s superb. I read it once or twice a year. As said, it looks long at the start but by the time it’s done you’ll wish it were twice the length. Easy to get caught up in it. Great characters and scenes; it’s very cinematic in its tone. Just a lovely read.

Posts: 385 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been many, many years since I read Shogun, but I remember that I did think it was very good.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
I've made it through Shogun, Tai Pan, and Gai Jin. All were excellent, excellent books. Immersive, detailed, extremely rich stories.

Single complaint is that I felt Tai Pan had a very slow start. Took me a while to press through that, but once I did, I thoroughly enjoyed the rest.

Never felt like reading the rest of the series for whatever reason. Perhaps I'll give it a go.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
I've made it through Shogun, Tai Pan, and Gai Jin. All were excellent, excellent books. Immersive, detailed, extremely rich stories.

Single complaint is that I felt Tai Pan had a very slow start. Took me a while to press through that, but once I did, I thoroughly enjoyed the rest.

Never felt like reading the rest of the series for whatever reason. Perhaps I'll give it a go.

Read Noble House. You'll thank me later. Smile

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post