SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Shogun (novel)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shogun (novel) Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I’ve never read it. A good friend has chastizied me saying it is like having never watched The Godfather.

It’s a big book. Worth the time?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Yes. It was a wonderful experience. You should also read, Lonesome Dove

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Absolutely! A MUST read.

Years ago I belonged to a local shooters board and chose Mr, Sukitome as screen name. Used to pick phrases in Japanese from the book and made all believe I was Japanese.
When they organized a meeting at a range they were expecting an Oriental guy to show up. Ilaughed a lot before introducing myself.

Big Grin

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
The novel is excellent as is the mini-series with Chamberlain and Mifune.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
An outstanding read. Your friend is spot on!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Absolutely a must read as are all of James Clavell's historical novels. Since the subject came up, I think I'll get the Kindle edition and read it again.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The book brings out aspects not covered in the mini-series. Reading Clavell is like flying a C5 Galaxy (well, I would assume).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Just pulled it from iTunes and beginning it now.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
My wife read it.
Like it but said it was too political for her.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its quite good. I think it was actually one of the first really "big" books I read.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Definitely worth it. Tai Pan and King Rat are fantasticnas well. Whirlwind about Iran and middle east is great background for real world events of today. Michener is another must read - for history Poland is fantastic...

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Tai Pan is also a good read. King Rat, I did not like a much.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
King Rat was autobiographical.

"Clavell joined the Royal Artillery, and was sent to Malaya to fight the Japanese. Wounded by machine gun fire, he was eventually captured and sent to a Japanese prisoner of war camp on Java. Later he was transferred to Changi Prison in Singapore.

Clavell suffered greatly at the hands of his Japanese captors. According to the introduction to Clavell's novel King Rat (1962), over 90% of the prisoners who entered Changi never walked out. Clavell was reportedly saved, along with an entire battalion, by an American prisoner of war who later became the model for "The King" in King Rat."

I imagine his time in Changi cut short his life. He died at 69 and I bet still had several novels in him. I've read them all including Noble House and Gai Jin which have gone unmentioned until now.

ETA: He was also a co-writer of The Great Escape.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Shogun is a great read and I've read it several times. If you enjoyed it and would like to read something in the same vein that is a more realistic portrayal of the Japanese mindset I would recommend Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa. It follows Miyamoto Musashi from childhood to his duel with Sasaki Kojiro.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, by all means read Shogun. It's a thick book but you'll wish it was longer because you get caught up in another world.

The mini series is excellent and not butchered like most books that make it to the screen.

Tai Pan and King Rat are both must reads.

King Rat was an excellent movie too. Tai Pan made it to the screen but was butchered and forgotten.

Posts: 659 | Registered: June 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
Shogun is a great read and I've read it several times. If you enjoyed it and would like to read something in the same vein that is a more realistic portrayal of the Japanese mindset I would recommend Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa. It follows Miyamoto Musashi from childhood to his duel with Sasaki Kojiro.

This, yes THIS!!!

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
It's a great summer time read. I give it two thumbs up

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Definitely worth a read.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Worth the time?
Yes. Then there's the Asian Saga:

Shogun 1975 Asian Saga #1
Tai-Pan 1966 Asian Saga #2
Gai-Jin 1993 Asian Saga #3
King Rat 1962 Asian Saga #4
Noble House 1981 Asian Saga #5
Whirlwind 1986 Asian Saga #6

goodreads:

The Asian Saga is a series of six novels written by James Clavell between 1962 and 1993. The novels all center on Europeans in Asia, and together they explore the impact on East and West of the meeting of these two distinct civilizations. The generally accepted Series order is Chronological, and not by publication date. You will find the numbering on the books reflects the chronological (or reading) order:

1. Shōgun: set in feudal Japan, 1600
2. Tai-Pan: set in Hong Kong, 1841
3. Gai-Jin: set in Japan, 1862
4. King Rat: set in a Japanese POW camp, Singapore, 1945
5. Noble House: set in Hong Kong, 1963
6. Whirlwind: set in Iran, 1979

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post