SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Forensic ballistics used on a episode of The Rifleman
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forensic ballistics used on a episode of The Rifleman Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
Just watched a episode of the Rifleman where a sheriff (not Mica) used ballistics to find who killed a friend of Lucas.
He fired bullets into bales of hay and then examined them under a magnifying glass to match the striations from the gun barrel.

Quite interesting as forensic ballistics had to be in it's infancy back then. Thought I had seen every episode of the The Rifleman but don't recall this one.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I thought I saw all of them too, many times over, but don't recall this one at all.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
That one came through the rotation on The Western Channel a few weeks ago. I wondered how much of that was “period correct”.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I wondered how much of that was “period correct”.

Crude forensic ballistics had been around since the early 1800s in England and France, although its use was not widespread until the following century, due in part to the fact that the microscopes of the time had serious limitations.

It eventually gained popularity in the early-to-mid 1900s, due mainly to advances in magnification tools and the pioneering work of a handful of individuals. The first organized Forensic Ballistics unit was set up by the NYPD in 1925, and the FBI followed suit in 1932.

As a result, it's potentially period correct for the late 1800s, although I wouldn't expect that a rural lawman out West would know much about it. And unless there was some major obvious flaw in the rifling, a simple magnifying glass likely wouldn't be powerful enough to make a definitive match between rifling marks on a bullet. So it's potentially plausible, but not probable.

Realistically, it's likely just an anachronism, with the show's writers just pandering to the American public's increased fascination with all things police/forensics in the 1950s/1960s.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The Rifleman was a great show.... about a rancher that we never see do any ranching.
And once a week he kills a few people and nobody seems to mind. Big Grin

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
The Rifleman was a great show.... about a rancher that we never see do any ranching.

I’m watching a couple episodes on AMC right now.
One thing I’ve noticed.... do NOT call Lucas Mcain a sod buster....apparently that gets his dander up.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And he is a Deputy... Kinda.... Sometimes.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

Every time he goes to Town the local grave digger and coffin maker...make a few bucks.

And like You mentioned...no one seems to mind. LOL.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It's that creepy way he looks at the camera while he's reloading during the opening credits that bugs me out. Eek

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd have been cranky too, if I was the handsomest guy around and never got frisky .

fun fact:
In real life little Johnny Crawford had a brother ( bobbie)that was on another tv show called Laramie
http://www.whosdatedwho.com/dating/johnny-crawford

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find it interesting that all of the principals in the TV westerns back then wore the same clothes week after week.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
There was a short-lived series, taking place shortly after the end of the "wild" west, in the early 1970s whose whole premise was forensics: Hec Ramsey, played by Richard Boone, known better for Have Gun Will Travel.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I saw an episode of Bonanza where Hoss was on trial for murder. Hop Sing got him off by comparing ‘chops’. His term for fingerprints. All was well afterwards at the Ponderosa. Until the next week.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Lucas Boy killed 110-120 in total. Yes, folks have actually counted them up.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I remember one show where the Sheriff or somebody concluded that the victim was shot with a .45 and the suspect carried a .44.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Hec Ramsey

Hec Ramsey was one of the shows shown on NBC's Sunday Mystery Movie along with Columbo, McCloud, and McMillan & Wife.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Season 5, Episode 21 "The Bullet"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0686678/

Lucas travels to a town and gets mixed up in a murder mystery when he tries to find a missing friend. The Sheriff introduces a strange concept: ballistics. Lucas is leery, but plays along with him.

Storyline:
Lucas McCain travels to a nearby town looking for a fellow member of the North Fork Cattleman's Association who has failed to return home. En route, he comes across a gambling hall owner named Griff who is trying to scare one of his patrons into paying off his gambling debts. Lucas puts a stop to it and takes Griff into the local Marshal who seems less than interested in what is going on. There's more to the Marshal than meets the eye however and he introduces Lucas to the concept of ballistics. He also has every intention of using science to prove that Grigg is responsible for killing Lucas friend.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Lucas Boy killed 110-120 in total. Yes, folks have actually counted them up.

Yes, but they were all bad. Big Grin

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I find it interesting that all of the principals in the TV westerns back then wore the same clothes week after week.

Matt Dillon had just one outfit, but I always figured Arness was so damn big, that was all that fit him.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Bullet

Here's the full episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC2h-nzjw4s

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post