SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Visiting Antarctica
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Visiting Antarctica Login/Join 
posted
Anyone done it? After seeing "Penguin Post Office" on PBS last year I've got the urge for going. Viking does not go that far, but Tauck has a cruise:

http://www.tauck.com/tours/ant...-cruise-xr-2019.aspx

We're looking at Jan or Feb 2019. Has anyone done one of these tours?

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
One of my bucket list goals is to visit every continent so I'm interested in the replies.

Posts: 11152 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Father in law did it a few years ago. About the only thing he would talk about is the "damn drake passage." The constant rocking of the boat got to a lot of people.

Personally, being that far from any help scares the shit out of me.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
If you're going to stay in Buenos Aires for a couple of days, please let me know.

I'm surrounded by top notch hotels, you might land at walking distance from my place.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Yes, in 2001 and going again in early 2019.

It is absolutely stark beautiful.

We did a one-week Ushuaia round trip w/landings in 2001. In early 2019 we're doing the Santiago-Buenos Aires route w/landings. Some cruise lines (Holland America comes to mind) sail down there but w/o landings.

Do you have questions I might be able to answer?

If you'd rather run this off-line, my e-mail is in my profile.

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:

...Do you have questions I might be able to answer?...

Why...yes!

Tauke has the ideal plan for our needs, National Geographic offers a similar trip but it's much more expensive.

Did you see the Penguin Post Office? It's not mandatory but sure looks like fun:

https://www.pbs.org/video/nature-penguin-post-office/

Can I assume these tours provide outer garments such as parkas and boots?

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Sigmund - e-mail inbound.

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Hi Sigmund,

Would you possibly be able to take a small parcel along with you to BA for O-O (aka Nicky)?

It's crossovers for his vintage ESS loudspeakers. He had the speaker manufacturer make a custom set of crossovers for them in 2014 to replace the old dead crossovers. But Nicky's been concerned about shipping reliability to Argentina, so he had them shipped to me. He's amazingly patient, but they're not doing anyone any good in my closet.

Anyway, if that looks like something you might consider, could you please let me know? Box is about 11"x11"x6". Don't have a precise weight but could get that done if you'd like.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Speaking of NatGeo. Today I found out we have the World´s nicest bookstore, as per a NatGeo article.

The place will be 8 blocks from your hotel almost on a straight line. It´s called Ateneo Grand Splendid and it´s a former theater, the first movie theater.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Hi Sigmund,

Would you possibly be able to take a small parcel along with you to BA for O-O (aka Nicky)?

Send a note to the address in my profile. It may not work, but we'll talk off line.

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
That looks like an awesome trip.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sister did it and took a quick plunge in the Antarctic Ocean. She had a great time.

Posts: 985 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Hi Sigmund,

Send a note to the address in my profile. It may not work, but we'll talk off line.

Roger that, you've got mail.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I know several who have been on Hurtigruten cruises to Antarctica. They all really enjoyed it.

https://www.hurtigruten.com/

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post