SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Siege of Jadotville - Damn UN
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Siege of Jadotville - Damn UN Login/Join 
Picture of FlyingScot
posted
Very good movie about a piece of history I had no clue about. Have not been a UN fan, and this shows that even when a young organization - the UN was already corrupted by bureaucrats, egotistical, and pointless efforts that mark the organization of today. The Irish government handling of their soldiers should be a national shame, and falsely treating them as cowards cannot be undone by any late game recognition.

I thought there was a thread on this somewhere but Sigforum search did not show it -must have fallen off. Highly recommend you take the time to watch. Just another example of why our founders were right to mistrust any government but love the nation.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
There was once a thread...good movie, and I agree wholeheartedly.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I liked the siege of Jadotville.

While fiction I also liked "The last Post" on amazon video.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
I liked the siege of Jadotville.

While fiction I also liked "The last Post" on amazon video.

Was that the one about the Spanish "fort" in the Philippines?

Nevermind, looked it up. The one I was thinking about was 1898: Our Last Men in the Philippines.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
The original thread was started in October 2016 and while it was running there were several informational posts including a lot of great info and pics on the conflict and guns used posted by Rogue JSK...so much so that I saved that thread.

Having never heard of this conflict the earlier thread sparked my interest in this but I still haven't seen the movie.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
What a fuck-story but the Irish fought well while vastly out-numbered

If anyone plans on watching, make sure you read the follow-up at the end. Tells you what happened to the real participants.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
I definitely enjoyed it and recommend watching it.

I stumbled onto it after a buddy of mine told me about it. A great story with compelling history to back it up.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great movie and a testament to the crappy politics in the UN. A shame these brave men were treated like that while in battle and afterwards. To me, it is almost, almost like our poor boys abandoned at Benghazi.

I liked the part where they were requesting more whiskey.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post