SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    ‘Apollo 11’ Trailer: The Moon Landing Documentary Critics Call ‘Astonishing’ - Never before seen 70mm footage restored from recently found archives
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

‘Apollo 11’ Trailer: The Moon Landing Documentary Critics Call ‘Astonishing’ - Never before seen 70mm footage restored from recently found archives Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I just saw this in IMAX. And it was great. Hollywood got it right this time.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Saw it in IMAX last night. Fantastic film. Reminds us what we are capable of as a country.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1772 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Buddy of mine who worked on the Apollo missions in Huston mission control said all that had to happen for the Apollo missions to go well was over 15000 separate functions had to go right.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
10/10.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw it on a regular screen - Excellent !

Posts: 81 | Location: Springfield. USA | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
i'm still thinking about this movie - 9 days after seeing it.

if you haven't seen it - this could be a SPOILER...

there's a spectacular shot of the command and service module after it released the lem to land - from above and slightly behind, a tracking shot where you can see it's shadow on the surface of the moon. how did they get that shot?

and that long sequence where (must be Collins shooting this from the command module) you just see the lem coming into view after liftoff from the moon, and it's so small, and gets bigger and bigger.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I wish it was playing somewhere near me.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
Excellent film! Mrs. Angus even loved it! Highly recommend you see this flick.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
I wish it was playing somewhere near me.
keep checking.

posted Hide Post
The soundtrack is available on iTunes. The Blu-ray should by available in May or June depending on what you read.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Just got back from seeing this. Couple of things:
1. I wish they would have shown footage from inside of the module during liftoff. Side note...heart rate reports were phenomenal. Eek
2. I wish they would have shown more footage inside the module during re-entry and splashdown.
3. Wished it had been playing in IMAX at my theater.

* And I realize that footage may not be available.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
...heart rate reports were phenomenal. Eek
yeah, Buzz was one cool customer.

posted Hide Post
It was playing in a theater near us so I took my 11 year old daughter to see it one day after school last week. She gave it two enthusiastic thumbs up Big Grin

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Saw it a couple nights back, and it was outstanding.

Posts: 15023 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
There is nothing like a Saturn V launch.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
unlike 'First Man', this looks to be worth watching

"First Man" was excellent. I finally had a chance to watch it yesterday on a four plus hour flight home. Definitely worth watching in my opinion.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

"First Man" was excellent. I finally had a chance to watch it yesterday on a four plus hour flight home. Definitely worth watching in my opinion.

Agreed. I enjoyed first man quite a lot.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1gkek:
quote:

Agreed. I enjoyed first man quite a lot.

The original controversy about not showing the placing of the American flag on the moon now seems to me to be a manufactured controversy. The actual time on the moon was very brief, and a good chunk of that was about Neal and his deep personal emotions about his daughter. The fact that America was responsible for being the first nation on the moon was not glossed over at all. In fact, there were snippets after the fact of other nations around the world praising America in the movie.

So if that bit is why anyone chose not to see this movie, I'd recommend reconsidering.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
The original controversy about not showing the placing of the American flag on the moon now seems to me to be a manufactured controversy. The actual time on the moon was very brief, and a good chunk of that was about Neal and his deep personal emotions about his daughter. The fact that America was responsible for being the first nation on the moon was not glossed over at all. In fact, there were snippets after the fact of other nations around the world praising America in the movie.

So if that bit is why anyone chose not to see this movie, I'd recommend reconsidering.

I would ENTIRELY agree with that sentiment. I found Armstrong's portrayal of his moment on the moon and his reflection of his daughter very fitting. The absence of the Flag did not detract in any way from this movie. Once I saw the whole movie, I see how including that event would have detracted from the story of Neil Armstrong.

If people want to get the REAL event of planting the Flag, go see Apollo 11. It was fantastic!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
There is nothing like a Saturn V launch.

from the Press Site, outdoors, only 2 miles from the launch pad across tbe marsh.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post