Find
Notify
Tools

Baby Driver Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
I tried twice to write a review for this movie yesterday. Both times, I got a few paragraphs in and realized I wasn't going to convey anything about this movie without really spoiling it. So I'll just say the following:

Baby, played by Ansel Elgort, is a young man who has been working off a debt to Doc, played by Kevin Spacey. Now, having completed one final heist, Baby believes he can walk away and enjoy a normal life with his new girlfriend Debora. Unfortunately, Doc has other plans for Baby.

I was really stoked to see this movie. The trailer makes it seem like an action extravaganza. Unfortunately, it is as deceiving as the trailer was for Drive. Unlike Drive, Baby Driver doesn't have a cool film noir story to keep audiences entertained. It's a mishmash of elements from other car movies like Ronin, The Italian Job and Drive, but not as fulfilling as any of those movies.

I think what got me all out of whack is that Baby is supposed to be this badass getaway driver, but each time he's driving all he does is draw attention to himself until luck intervenes to let him get away from his pursuers. That was strike one for me.

The second aspect of this movie is that Baby relies on a varied music playlist in order to function in life. It's so integral to the plot that it becomes distracting. He literally can't drive unless he's playing the right type of music. When he's walking down the street, he's dancing to the tune while also trying to stay incognito. He'll hold a conversation with someone while still playing music--which we still hear. It just gets to be too much.

Finally, Doc is supposed to be the mastermind behind all the capers pulled in this movie, yet he can barely control the people he hires. It's a wonder that Doc's been so successful.

Anyway, this movie does have some redeeming qualities. Eiza Gonzalez and Lily James are drop dead gorgeous as Darling and Debora. The driving scenes are intense and shot well. Not a lot of shaky cam involved because the shots tend to be wide shots or sweeping shots.

There are no Easter Egg scenes. This is a good movie to rent.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

My kids are deep into fast cars and car movies etc. They want to see this but i'll wait to get it on demand.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I watched them film some of the stunt driving scenes and they looked pretty cool. I think they filmed in my building some as we had signs up about it for a month or two. But the movie sounded ridiculous. Then the trailer made it look kinda cool. But now with your review I'm back to believing it will be ridiculous.

FWIW, they're now filming the new Avengers on the street outside my window.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched it last night and quite enjoyed it but I'm a fan of Edgar Wright and his other movies.

For a reference he was the writer/director for Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and The World's End. It's probably safe to say that if you did not like those movies you won't like this one.

I think the trailer for the movie is a case of the studio marketing department putting together what they think would draw the most interest, which unfortunately really doesn't reflect the movie as a whole.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sureshot45:
For a reference [Edgar Wright] was the writer/director for Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and The World's End. It's probably safe to say that if you did not like those movies you won't like this one.

I don't like Hot Fuzz all that much because it has too many elements from Shaun of the Dead in it, but really enjoy the others he's directed.

For whatever reason, Baby Driver just doesn't feel like it was directed by the same guy as those others.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Jamie Foxx = No way in hell I'll watch it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
His character is actually the worst part of the movie, so it's probably for the best that you don't watch it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
For a reference [Edgar Wright] was the writer/director for Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and The World's End. It's probably safe to say that if you did not like those movies you won't like this one.

I don't like Hot Fuzz all that much because it has too many elements from Shaun of the Dead in it, but really enjoy the others he's directed.

For whatever reason, Baby Driver just doesn't feel like it was directed by the same guy as those others.

I think the biggest difference is that his other movies have all had sub genre of horror, fantasy, or sci-fy so that your had the "this isn't trying to be realistic" but with Baby Driver all you have is the kind of off the wall characters. And I do agree with you on Hot Fuzz, it's my least favorite but I liked it more after watching when it was on Netflix recently.

It might be because I'm about burned out on the super hero movies but as far as personal enjoyment Baby Driver has probably been my favorite this year.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Ronin was a "car movie?" Closer, but I didn't really think of The Italian Job in that way either.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
For a reference he was the writer/director for Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World's End.
aka the cornetto trilogy. i got ready to go see it yesterday, then on second though decided against it.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I thought Baby Driver was okay, no great shakes. It felt like Edgar Wright wanted to do a '90s Tarantino movie, but since it's Edgar Wright in 2017, it's lighter, fluffier, and cuter.

quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

Well, this film is a tad darker than his previous entries. It still has that young geeky aesthetic of Wright's films since his protagonist is a hip Millennial dancing around wearing iPod buds all the time.

quote:
It might be because I'm about burned out on the super hero movies but as far as personal enjoyment Baby Driver has probably been my favorite this year.

I did appreciate that this film was a rated-R crime film that was somewhat creative and original and not a PG-13 sequel based on a comic book or superhero. It didn't quite hit the mark, but good try! I hope more studios try to release films like this.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't he drive a WRX with an auto trans? I know it's silly but I love driving movies where the driver has to shift once in awhile. Whether it's realistic or not.

Posts: 1662 | Location: NH | Registered: January 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I just got this on disc from Netflix, and watched it this morning. I enjoyed it, despite it being a bit derivative and the characters pretty over-the-top. It was entertaining. I think it's worth watching, if you can get it for free/cheap.

Rather than being distracting, I thought the frequent inclusion of music was rather well done, with most of the film having actions/movements, background imagery, cuts, and/or sound effects that cleverly sync up with the music playing over the scene. (Similar to the recent Punisher trailer, with Metallica's One.)

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
This is one of my son's favorite movies currently. Him and his cousins have seen it together and it is a draw

for 17 year olds.

I didn't mind it terribly, but it's not bad for the music saves a lot of it. Keeping the sequencing together with the driving and story line.

Cheers~

Posts: 904 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I watched it but was indifferent about it. Pretty forgettable.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
My mini review: Utterly terrible name for a film, a few imperfections I can forgive, and entertaining enough for me. I liked the music and driving scenes, but it's no Drive.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Utterly terrible name for a film

It's taken from a Simon and Garfunkle song.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Z-

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Utterly terrible name for a film

It's taken from a Simon and Garfunkle song.

I'm not sure whether that makes it better or worse. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Big Grin