SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Recommend a screw extractor set
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a screw extractor set Login/Join 
posted
Any of you handyman types have a favorite screw extractor set you can recommend? Doesn't have to be the master set, just a quality set of tools that will last for general work around the house. Thanks

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

One of my least favorite jobs. I have yet to find a set that works in all situations, well. I currently have, and have had for a number of years, the

Irwin 10-pc Spiral Extractor & Drill Bit Set in Metal Index.

The bits are left handed also, and many times you can do the extraction with the drill bit alone, without having to switch to the extractor bit.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The best luck I've had is to use left hand drill bits with a reversible drill.
You have to get them centered well in the broken screw but they almost always come out with ease.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I have a “Grabit” brand extractor set and it works flawlessly.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grabit, Easy out, Speed out, and Left-hand drill bits. Craftsman has left-hand drill bit screw extractors.
Craftsman LH screw extractor

They are all expendable and will wear down, I'd suggest keeping multiple types just in case

I keep two sets at work for those instances.

Black Fridays at home improvement stores usually have them cheap, as well as internet sources all year.

Posts: 236 | Location: SDF | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post