Aug 25 release.

July 14, 2017, 09:24 AM
SBrooks
Looks pretty good. I'll go.

------------------
SBrooks
July 14, 2017, 09:51 AM
Prefontaine
This was supposed to be released a year ago.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
July 14, 2017, 11:27 AM
Veeper
Eh... Something like this story has potential as both Ip Man and Bruce Lee swam against the current with regards to who they were "allowed" to train. I don't think Mr. Lee needs a rap music WWE movie biopic though.

(IMO)

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken
July 14, 2017, 12:01 PM
f2
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
This was supposed to be released a year ago.
It made the Toronto film festival last year, so it's a 2016, but U.S. release is next month.
July 16, 2017, 11:26 AM
BucFan
Huge Bruce Lee fan here. I'll be heading to the theaters to watch this when it finally comes out. Cool

Didn't even know about it, so thank you.

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40
July 16, 2017, 08:39 PM
corsair
This has been a long time coming for this release. I remember my uncle telling me about the rumor-mill around Chinatown that was buzzing when Wong Jack Man arrived to challenge Bruce. Will be interesting to see how they portray this.

Why..does every action movie now have to have some hip-hop/rap music? Good grief.
July 16, 2017, 09:19 PM
henryarnaud
Looks interesting, but based on the trailer I'll probably wait until it's on video to see it.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes
July 16, 2017, 09:21 PM
henryarnaud
quote:
Originally posted by BucFan:
Huge Bruce Lee fan here. I'll be heading to the theaters to watch this when it finally comes out. Cool

Didn't even know about it, so thank you.

Not sure if you know, but there's a series about Bruce Lee called, interestingly enough, The Legend of Bruce Lee streaming on Netflix. I haven't seen it so I can't say if it's any good or not, but it might be worth checking out.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes
July 17, 2017, 05:32 AM
f2
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Why..does every action movie now have to have some hip-hop/rap music? Good grief.
There's a lot of trailer music are not in the film.
August 25, 2017, 08:44 PM
f2
Excellent! I give it 9/10. Around 30 seconds to the end of the credits they mention who the consultant was (which you can bing if you must know before seeing it). Yes, I sat through to the very end, which I do with films I loved.

[ needn't have worried about rap - i mean Booker T & The MGS, Same & Dave. ]

August 25, 2017, 10:11 PM
Edmond
Wong Jack Man is still alive and lives in California, I believe.

I'm not sure we can ever know the truth of what happened between Wong and Lee.

One thing we cannot dispute is what Lee did after the fight, though. He realized the need for physical fitness in addition to looking into other arts to complement his Wing Chun. That fight was the inspiration for JKD.

August 28, 2017, 01:43 PM
frayedends
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
Excellent! I give it 9/10. Around 30 seconds to the end of the credits they mention who the consultant was (which you can bing if you must know before seeing it). Yes, I sat through to the very end, which I do with films I loved.

[ needn't have worried about rap - i mean Booker T & The MGS, Same & Dave. ]

I'm surprised by this review. The reviews on IMDB are horrendous. It's 4 pages of reviews before a review with more than 1 star.

These go to eleven.
August 28, 2017, 02:57 PM
f2
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I'm surprised by this review. The reviews on IMDB are horrendous. It's 4 pages of reviews before a review with more than 1 star.
what does an imdb review have to do with anything?
August 28, 2017, 03:37 PM
Orguss
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
what does an imdb review have to do with anything?

You're one guy who liked it. On IMDB, there are 65 reviews leading to an aggregate score of 3.6/10. So either you're very lenient about your critique of the movie or the people who post on IMDB skew toward highly critical of the movie.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
August 28, 2017, 03:55 PM
f2
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
You're one guy who liked it. On IMDB, there are 65 reviews leading to an aggregate score of 3.6/10. So either you're very lenient about your critique of the movie or the people who post on IMDB skew toward highly critical of the movie.
who are these imdb reviewers? do they like the movie i like? unknowable, so immaterial. rotten tomatoes? immaterial.
August 28, 2017, 04:30 PM
Orguss
By that logic, your review is equally useless, so why did you bother to tell us you like it?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
August 28, 2017, 06:15 PM
f2
quote:
By that logic, your review is equally useless, so why did you bother to tell us you like it?
negative. with anyone paying attention, a history of the films i like would set up a pattern. and if you're not going so see it anyway, why shit your crap here anyhow?
August 28, 2017, 07:30 PM
frayedends
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
negative. with anyone paying attention, a history of the films i like would set up a pattern. and if you're not going so see it anyway, why shit your crap here anyhow?

Jeez man, chill out. I was just saying that considering that most reviews say it's a turd I'm surprised to see such a good review. It's not like I told you that your entire life was a waste.

These go to eleven.
August 28, 2017, 09:39 PM
f2
quote:
Jeez man, chill out. I was just saying that considering that most reviews say it's a turd I'm surprised to see such a good review. It's not like I told you that your entire life was a waste.
and i'll repeat what i replied to YOUR post..., what does imdb reviews have to do with anything?