SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Total old man question about music downloading...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Total old man question about music downloading... Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
OK, what is the easiest way for a non-tech old man to download all of my CDs so I can play them on an ipod or somesuch magical witch device?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I don't know what you have as far as a computer, but here is how I do it. I have an iMac and using iTunes I just copy my CDs into it then it is a simple matter of making up playlists with the songs I want and then just syncing it up with my iPhone. I have bluetooth stereo system in my truck so I no longer have to carry around CDs.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
I don't know what you have as far as a computer, but here is how I do it. I have an iMac and using iTunes I just copy my CDs into it then it is a simple matter of making up playlists with the songs I want and then just syncing it up with my iPhone. I have bluetooth stereo system in my truck so I no longer have to carry around CDs.

I do the same with a windows PC.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a cd burner in my computer.
I stick a disc in.
There are various programs you can use to copy to a file. Windows has one of those.

If you have an mp3 player, once you get all your music on the computer, you can hook your mp3 player to your computer and copy the songs to it.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Express Burn Disc Burning Software is free. Download it on the link from their home page.

Put your cd in your computer's dvd player, then use Express Burn to convert the files into MP3 files. Those are what you can save to ipods and such.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, there's a lot of choices, depending upon your computer OS. Assuming you've got a PC, Windows Media Player is good for learning with. When configured to your tastes, WMP can retrieve album information and compose playlists. Additionally, you can choose to save music as WMA or MP3, and playlists in WPL or M3U format. Third-party software gives even more options for formats, but to learn on, stick with something like WMP or iTunes.

Later, if you really want to get serious, mp3tag is a freeware program that lets you do extensive metadata changes such as embedding lyrics files. MusicBrainz Picard is another freeware that will fill in metadata that WMP and iTunes don't cover.

Have fun and learn-and then try DVDs, next.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post