SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Top Gun: Maverick - Trailer is out
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Gun: Maverick - Trailer is out Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot: Seems she just let herself go.

Once you hit mid-30's, there's a lot of people who start to let it go, by the time they hit their 40's it's a full-slide. McGillis is likely no different, as somebody who pop'd smoke on Hollywood, she's not 'competing' for looks and likes, like much of the female celebrities.

Posts: 14632 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once you hit mid-30's, there's a lot of people who start to let it go, by the time they hit their 40's it's a full-slide. McGillis is likely no different, as somebody who pop'd smoke on Hollywood, she's not 'competing' for looks and likes, like much of the female celebrities.

I would prefer to see actresses age gracefully and naturally as opposed to seeing them trying to stop time. There are so many actresses that look unnatural because they try to keep age at bay.

It's sad too, because I imagine some of them would look quite beautiful in their 40s and 50s, but instead look stretched. "Like butter scraped over too much bread."

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9151 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
I would prefer to see actresses age gracefully and naturally as opposed to seeing them trying to stop time. There are so many actresses that look unnatural because they try to keep age at bay.

in their 40s and 50s, but instead look stretched. "Like butter scraped over too much bread."

Meg Ryan and Renee Zellweger being prime examples.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3444 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
If they’d just eat a very healthy diet and get into lifting/exercise, they could maintain their looks well into late life. Too many of them take the easy way out and start doing Botox injections, then the plastic surgery starts and they get addicted to it. It’s pathetic.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Delayed until November 19, 2021. This is like the 4th delay. Maybe they should just ground it for good.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10892 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Delayed until November 19, 2021. This is like the 4th delay. Maybe they should just ground it for good.

Nah, this is simply the studio, Paula, and Tom's decision. They want their money, period. Releasing now, this summer, well a lot of people just aren't going to go to a movie theater. They'll keep pushing it back until they think they can make the most money. I'm not going to go to the theater anyways as the smart phone use during films drove me out so would also like to see a concrete release date as the 4k blu ray will be out 90-100 days after theatrical release. That's where I will get to see and enjoy it in Dolby Cinema.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Besides, I'm fairly certain the movie is already finished. Cruise wants the movie released in theaters, so he's making them delay it until such time as theaters are fully capable of seating as many as possible.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
Since we are going to be waiting for a while for this, I thought I would pass along this info. There is a retired F-14 RIO on youtube named Ward Carroll. He's got some pretty interesting stories to tell. It sounds like he likes Top Gun the movie - even though he has a video titled 21 Cringeworthy errors in Top Gun. It's fun to watch and doesn't really ruin the movie. His other videos are also entertaining.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that video, scot818!

Watching Top Gun as a kid, those errors/details pointed out didn't cross my mind. His "riding saddle" in a dogfight, or the fuel dump smoke commentary makes sense from the point of someone who has done it.

I think alot of the scenes were shot for either dramatic effect, or to keep a scene in frame.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
Thank you for that video, scot818!

Watching Top Gun as a kid, those errors/details pointed out didn't cross my mind. His "riding saddle" in a dogfight, or the fuel dump smoke commentary makes sense from the point of someone who has done it.

I think alot of the scenes were shot for either dramatic effect, or to keep a scene in frame.

So is it a fuel dump or a gas dump as Carroll said?

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1364 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
posted Hide Post
"The smoke effect is actually the Tomcat dumping fuel."

"...when you need all the gas you can muster..."

He used both words. Gotta ask him. Smile

I always thought a smoke canister was used.

Maybe the Tomcat was passing gas, prior to eating more MiGs Big Grin

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I just thought it was funny that someone picking out technical mistakes use the word gas for fuel and he actually used gas twice Smile

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1364 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
For what it’s worth, our checklists say “Fuel”. Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Speaking of Ice Man...I wonder what his role will be in the movie. Last I saw, he wasn’t doing to well health-wise.
From Wikipaedia:

CAST:
Tom Cruise as Captain Pete "Maverick" Mitchell, a test pilot and flight instructor
Miles Teller as Lt. Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw, a pilot trainee, and the son of Maverick's late RIO and best friend, Nick "Goose" Bradshaw
Jennifer Connelly as Penny Benjamin, Maverick's new love interest, who is a single mother, bar owner, and the daughter of a former admiral
Jon Hamm as Vice Admiral Cyclone
Ed Harris as Rear Admiral, Maverick's superior
Val Kilmer as Admiral Tom "Iceman" Kazansky, a fellow instructor and friend/former rival of Maverick. He is a four-star admiral and currently serves as Chief of Naval Operations

Posts: 9027 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
quote:

I just thought it was funny that someone picking out technical mistakes use the word gas for fuel and he actually used gas twice Smile

Ah, got it. Perhaps he moved on to general aviation, and is accustomed to saying "avgas". Smile

Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Looks like release was delayed again.

Posts: 11157 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Now set to be released on May 27, 2022.

Are you freaking kidding me. That's 36 years from the original's release of May 16, 1986.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10892 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Pushed back in favor of Mi-7. FFS, I need some Top Gun action!

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Now set to be released on May 27, 2022.

By the time actually comes out, the F-35 will have been retired.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Eh, we've waited 35 years. One more won't kill anyone. I'm just happy there's a sequel coming.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post