SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Top Gun: Maverick - Trailer is out
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Gun: Maverick - Trailer is out Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Will we finally get to see Penny Benjamin?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, Ed Harris, nearly 70 is a 2-star however Jon Hamm who's 48 and younger than Tom Cruise, is a 3-star...

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
In real life, wouldn't a Navy Captain who hadn't progressed in rank be forced to retire long before he hit 30 years in service?

IIRC, mandatory retirement for O6s is at the 30 year mark; flag officers go beyond that. I'm sure there are exceptions for O6s beyond 30 years; I knew of one Armor officer back in 1984 at Fort Knox.

Maybe Maverick is like Captain Kirk in "Star Trek"; better suited as a starship captain than an admiral.

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:

I hope she doesn't look like Ed Harris.

Posts: 2514 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I’ve figured it out: this is actually a remake of Firefox but set in the Navy universe rather than Air Force. Hence the need for a black pressure suit.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll probably watch it, but Cruise being a 56 YO Captain is ridiculous. Let's not forget he was already a LT (senior grade) in the 1986 movie, so he could not have been commissioned later than 1981, and that is a push. More like 1980, so he's likely pushing 40 years of service.

All of the stated, this would have been a good remake 10 years ago.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I’ve figured it out: this is actually a remake of Firefox but set in the Navy universe rather than Air Force. Hence the need for a black pressure suit.

They couldn't figure out the O2 problems in the newer planes so, instead they had the pilots wear pressure suits instead. Wink

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cruise is in pretty good shape for his age, but this film is ridiculous. I can imagine the complex plot.
Casting older men in a young mans role just perpetuates stupid fantasies.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I'll see it.

"Because I was Inverted..." Big Grin

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:

It's not Jennifer Connelly, is it? Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Cruise is in pretty good shape for his age, but this film is ridiculous. Casting older men in a young mans role just perpetuates stupid fantasies.

My dad was an attack jet mechanic at Alameda NAS. He would complain about those stoic square-jawed 40-year-old pilots that he saw in old war movies. Dad would say, "Those aren't fighter pilots. Pilots are a bunch of young rowdy cocky kids." I took him to see Top Gun when it came out, and he was like, "Yeah, THOSE are more like fighter pilots."

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
I'll see it.

"Because I was Inverted..." Big Grin

That was a great scene Smile

I think maybe my wife and I are going to have to watch Top Gun tonight.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Maybe Maverick is like Captain Kirk in "Star Trek"; better suited as a starship captain than an admiral.

Of course he's not admiral material. He's not going to be happy if he's not going Mach 2 with his hair on fire.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

In real life, wouldn't a Navy Captain who hadn't progressed in rank be forced to retire long before he hit 30 years in service?

A Captain in the Navy is an O6. He should probably be at least a Rear Admiral by then, but it's still a fairly high rank.

Yes, I know that.

Still, an O-6 at 30 years? I don't think so.

Had a good friend mustang USAF Full Bird go out with 37 years total ACTIVE service in 2018.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Do you know what the original Top Gun did? It kicked, in the ass, a high interest in our young folks joining the service. Some would fly, others would fix air conditioners, some would get to be mechanics on aircraft on a carrier or someone like my girlfriend at 18. She went in and ended up working on the flight deck of a carrier. If it was reality it’d be a documentary. This will be a fun film. And who doesn’t enjoy getting to see our military aircraft doing cool shit? That alone is worth seeing it. And if you don’t like looking at Jennifer maybe you need to start attending your local gay parade.

This thread is in desperate need for speed, specifically the Blue Angels and Van Halen.

https://youtu.be/d5PqVeex4QU

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can just see the rush of 50 year old guys wanting to enlist.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by navyshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
There are stories that circulated a while back that they resurrected one just for the movie. And it is seen in the final shot . . .
Iconic F-14

I can confirm that. They filmed a lot of the movie on North Island and driving to lunch one day I saw a F14 sitting on the CVN at the pier. I had to turn around and go back to make sure I saw what I thought I saw.

I will see it in the theater then.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Is it possible for a Navy Admiral or an Air Force General to remain fighter jet certified? Is it considered beneath them and they don't do it anymore or will .mil not expend the resources to allow them to maintain whatever required flight hours are needed?

Posts: 2514 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
Is it possible for a Navy Admiral or an Air Force General to remain fighter jet certified? Is it considered beneath them and they don't do it anymore or will .mil not expend the resources to allow them to maintain whatever required flight hours are needed?

Wing Commanders at the local B-1B base still fly getting their flight pay qualifying hours in. They're O-6s with many promoted to 0-7 still here until their transfer comes through.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Admirals and Generals are important for their leadership skills and cognitive abilities not high level perceptual motor abilities. Perceptual motor skills decline signifcantly with age.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
Yes, in some cases they do remain qual'ed. Adm Mark Fox (Mig Killer from Desert Storm) continued to fly when he was the Battle Group Commander; but I doubt he was allowed to fly combat missions regularly - Naval Aviation is a fast moving game - sure landing on a carrier remains 'the same', but it's a very perishable skill (even more so at night) - but the tactics, weapons, etc change at a very fast pace. So in the Navy any of them doing it are more for 'morale' reasons, for them and for the troops to see them flying (not like they really care).

For that reason pretty much any Navy F-18 guy you see doing ROTC or other cheesy non-flying or non ticket punching staff jobs have probably flown their last operational flight. They may soldier on flying in the training command or test pilot gigs, but to remain skilled and in the game you need to keep flying.

We had a carrier CO (O-6) who flew F-14s with us, but we wouldn't qualify him for night ops (he tried, but didn't have it anymore). I think he flew 3-4 times on deployment, day only training flights, including his retirement flight.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post