Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Green Book Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone seen the film? Is it true to form and worthwhile to see?

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I thought is was very good. Yes, see it.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, worth it. For a sensitive, hot-button topic such as race relations in the early 60's, this movie tells a very interesting story without running off the rails or, allowing a single theme to overwhelm all the other story lines. I thought Viggo Mortenson was miscast in the beginning but, I wasn't too bothered about it as the movie warmed up. Interestingly, directed by Peter Farrelly of Something About Mary, Kingpin and Dumb and Dumber fame.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
What I liked:
Saw this yesterday. Well acted and funny; we enjoyed it. Dr. Don Shirley (Music, Psychology, and Liturgical Arts) was born and raised in Pensacola to educated Jamaican immigrants. The movie is a fictional account of one of his tours of white-collar concert halls in the south of 1962.

What I didn’t like:
Peel off the humor and it is just another “See The Racist White Southerners” SJW wet dream in a long list of such movies. Being from Mississippi, I am damn tired of Hollywood rolling out another vastly exaggerated depiction of the south I grew up in 50-60 years ago. They do it every 10 years or so to break open the scabs of old racial wounds. White southerners moved on long ago, but Hollywood has not.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I am damn tired of Hollywood rolling out another vastly exaggerated depiction of the south I grew up in 50-60 years ago. They do it every 10 years or so to break open the scabs of old racial wounds. White southerners moved on long ago, but Hollywood has not."

until the few quit trying to spoil it for the many , I think the Hollywood version is around to stay for a while

going to see it on tuesday

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was good as a film. Historically it has many flaws.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CALLING BENDABLE. Would you give it a thumbs up?

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was it worth seeing? I'll put it to you this way. Of the many films I have seen over the years, this is only the second one, where at the end of the movie, the entire audience stood and applauded. The first was Chariots of Fire. See it.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
CALLING BENDABLE. Would you give it a thumbs up?

sorry , horrible weather had us reschedule until this coming tuesday

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks bendable.

posted Hide Post
well , we went too the 12:34 showing and it was all sold out Big Grin

34 miles ,round trip Roll Eyes

so we still have not seen it .

but we got the car gassed up and washed , a bag of yarn and some fabric while up in the big city,
and we shared a club sandwich at the family style restaurant

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it. Not sure if you guys are aware but Viggo is portraying Tony Lip who in real life played Carmine (Boss of NY) in the Sopranos.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
well , we went too the 12:34 showing and it was all sold out

34 miles ,round trip

so we still have not seen it .

but we got the car gassed up and washed , a bag of yarn and some fabric while up in the big city,
and we shared a club sandwich at the family style restaurant

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a good day in the big city between the never ending snowstorms. Will be checking next week for the update.

Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Sold out you say? There were only about 18 in the theater with us.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cne32507,

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tuesday's are 1/2 price "senior day"
if you are not there 40 minutes in advance, you are s.o.l. Roll Eyes

Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
I heard that Spike Lee threw a tantrum and almost walked out when Green Book won the Oscar. I wasn't planning on seeing this film but now I just may have to. Smile

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drew3630:
I heard that Spike Lee threw a tantrum and almost walked out when Green Book won the Oscar. I wasn't planning on seeing this film but now I just may have to. Smile

I watched and didn’t see that. They didn’t put it on camera. If so, sore loser. I like some of Lee’s work in the past, especially his early stuff, have never cared for his politics.
His film wasn’t that great imo, and shouldn’t have been nominated. Neither should have Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody, or a Star is Born. None were best picture contenders. Pop culture, SJW strongly proliferating this years awards.

This was definitely the inclusion diversity Oscars. It was reminiscent of that last Star Wars Film by Disney, a total SJW fest. Used to, it was posh, people respected it, now it’s a free for all. Production design winner was balling and thanking the director for her having a “safe space” to work. A term I’ve read about but never heard someone use it in live dialogue.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
got it in today,
Very good movie, if you liked the blind side you will like this

good music, very good acting
very good story , three or four very good quotes.
a couple of good life lessons.
car crashes: 0
flagrantly inappropriate sex : 0
foul language : 0
cool cars : many
explosions : 0
c.g.i.: very minimal
super hero's : 0
shots fired : 2

I'd go see it again
caution :
I can see why bigots and racist's do not like the show
and
why the black power clan do not like it.

might look in too Mr. Shirley's music on the www

5 1/2 out of six pool noodle's

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

posted Hide Post
Thank you bendable. I value your opinion. Nice breakdown of the film.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I enjoyed it. Not sure if you guys are aware but Viggo is portraying Tony Lip who in real life played Carmine (Boss of NY) in the Sopranos.

this post voted best movie trivia for Feb 2019
in the lair, male