SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Oscars’ goes full retard (woke)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oscars’ goes full retard (woke) Login/Join 
posted
I know none of us watch the Oscars, but this is just sad.

Oscars’ Orwellian diversity quota throws out merit: Devine
Miranda Devine
There go the Oscars.

Forget merit, now filmmakers will have to subject their art to Orwellian tests of identitarian purity if it is to be eligible for a Best Picture award.

In the latest act of craven capitulation to the BLM-Antifa mob, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences decreed Tuesday that no movie can win the top award unless it satisfies a set of ­genetically and sexually diverse ­quotas.

For example, lead actors must be from an “underrepresented racial or ethnic group . . . Asian, Latinx, Black, Native American, Middle Eastern, Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander.”

At least 30 percent of the rest of the cast otherwise must be chosen from at least two of the following victim identities: women, underrepresented racial or ethnic group, “LGBTQ+” and the disabled.

Or the Academy gets to dictate the content of the movie so that the “main storyline, theme or narrative of the film” must satisfy the same intersectionality requirements on gender, race, sexuality and disability.

And that is just Standard A, one of four labyrinthine prescriptions for creating Academy-sanctioned art.

They all read like satire. You have to pinch yourself to make sure you’re not having some dystopian dream.

Even to be considered for a Best Picture Oscar, a movie must ­satisfy two of the four required standards.

Standard B demands “at least two” creative leadership positions, such as director, producer, writer or cinematographer, must come from a designated victim-identity category, with at least one from a favored racial or ethnic group. Otherwise, at least 30 percent of the film crew must satisfy the same politically correct criteria.

Standard C requires “substantive” paid internships and apprenticeships in most departments solely for people from designated victim categories.

Standard D reaches its tentacles into marketing, publicity and distribution that also are required to be genetically and sexually ­diverse.

White, heterosexual cis-gendered (as in, haven’t changed sex) males need not apply. Or, at least, not without the filmmaker paying hefty indulgences to the Church of Woke.

This is enforced self-censorship, as destructive of creativity and free thought as the Stalinist ­dictates of any communist dictatorship.

It’s not surprising that it comes from industry insiders who mandated “unconscious bias” anti-racist training in June for all Academy governors and staff, a mass indoctrination that would rot even the most independent mind.

The press release summarizing the Academy’s new strictures, to take effect beginning in 2024, required 1,000 words to explain. Not one word about artistic quality or, God forbid, ideological diversity.

Imagine layering these tyrannical dictates atop the already wickedly challenging task of finding and financing a worthwhile project that will find a sufficiently large audience to make a profit.

Moviemaking is fickle in the best of times. During the pandemic, revenues have collapsed and the logistics of getting back up and running are daunting. Now Hollywood is volunteering to shoot itself in the foot while it’s on its knees.

Tellingly, there has been little complaint about the Academy edict from the embattled community of film artists who can’t afford to be blacklisted if they object.

“Cheers” star Kirstie Alley was one of the few brave enough to tell the truth, tweeting that the new rules were “dictatorial [and] anti-artist.”

“Can you imagine telling Picasso what had to be in his f–king paintings. You people have lost your minds. Control artists, control individual thought . . .

“OSCAR ORWELL”!

Of course, she immediately was labeled “racist” and caught so much abuse that she deleted the tweet and mouthed the required platitudes about “diversity inclusion & tolerance.”

Artists are supposed to be subversive, not fall into line with a prescribed utopian fantasy dreamed up under pressure to appease radicals such as the Marxist, anti-nuclear family, Black Lives Matter organization that has been terrorizing the nation for more than three months.

BLM co-founder and self-described “trained Marxist” Patrisse Cullors last month demanded that Hollywood go on strike to in support of her anti-police agenda: “It’s time for talent, writers, executives, the guild and SAG to show up for Black lives.”

The Academy, Hollywood’s prime mechanism for social conformity, recognized the threat. But appeasement never works. All that happens is the demands become more extreme. Just wait for the next round of “guidelines.” How much pain can you take?

According to the “Get Woke, Go Broke” thesis, the movies that emerge from this new system will be stultifying awful and tank at the box office.

How many award-winning movies of the past would not pass muster: “1917,” “The Godfather,” “Casablanca,” “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest,” “Unforgiven,” “Schindler’s List,” “Braveheart,” “Gladiator,” “American Sniper,” “The Departed,” “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” “The Sound of Music” . . . you name it. Definitely not “Gone With The Wind.” We know that already.

Movies are America’s primary cultural product, colonizing minds around the world for almost a ­century. Corrosive agitprop won’t cut it.

In any case, no one takes Hollywood’s moral posturing seriously, when it has sold its soul to the Chinese Communist Party, the most repressively racist regime on the planet.

What was with Disney’s closing credits for Mulan last week, with its “special thanks” to a “public security bureau” in Xinjiang, where 1 million Uighurs are in concentration camps?

Really? As professor Jordan Peterson used to say, clean up your own room first.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/09/...ws-out-merit-devine/

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Didn't pay any attention to them 20 years ago, could care less now.
They've always been a bunch of overpaid nut cases that think their opinion of anything matters to anyone with a brain.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but the movie industry pays attention to them. This does not bode well for the future of films.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
This is a wake up call to those who still enthusiastically go to the movies because "I don't care about the politics of the actor". The Hollywood film industry is perhaps more depraved and idiotic than the Democratic Party.

And I'll betcha the Rich White Movie Stars will go along because they're a bunch of little girls.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Thou shalt not criticize the decisions of the all powerful leader of Hollywood

Time to make your Bluray collection as deep as you can of anything worth watching, before they are no longer available.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This appears to be another in a long line of the intentional destruction of an American tradition.

Posts: 97 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I couldn´t care less either but now i need to know WTF is a Latinox?

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
I couldn´t care less either but now i need to know WTF is a Latinox?

"Latinx" is a term coined to represent both male and female (and more recently now "non-binary-gendered") people of Latin American descent.

Instead of being masculine (Latino) or feminine (Latina), it's not gender-specific (Latinx).

But 0-0, are you saying that people in actual Latin America, such as Argentina, aren't running around demanding the use of "Latinx" and insisting that to use Latina/Latino is a microaggressive remnant of the fascist colonial heteronormative patriarchy? You mean it's just the woke snowflakes here in the US that use it? Color me shocked. Roll Eyes

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And what does Clint have to say about this?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
And what does Clint have to say about this?

Exactly. And just think what a laughingstock the Oscars will be when any other great director bucks those stupid requirements and makes a great movie and some stupid movie that follows those requirements wins best picture over it.

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Another institution ruined by Americas cancer....Liberalism.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another good reason why I have not gone to see a movie in decades and not watched the Oscars in 20 or 30 years either.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
The math of this hurts so bad

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6253 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Sure would be a shame if anyone were rewarded based on merit. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
These self loathing hypocrites don't even realize how ridiculous and marginalized they have become. An 'Oscar' awarded under that criteria isn't an 'Oscar' at all...it's some kind of virtue signalling achievement, but not art of any significance.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Which one has the highest PC Bingo score has always been your winner. This is nothing new, it just has a rule now for what has been place for a long time already

The one year no blacks were nominated #Oscarssowhite... So of course the next year its all black actors nominated... Gee did black actors just suddenly get talented or is there pandering? Hmm...

This is just the next logical step in what was already a lost cause to the alter of Wokeness.

In fact I always wonder if these PC SJWs are so woke, how can you even have awards? Who are you to judge which art is the best over another? Where is the best transgender native American catagory? Its all just bullshit that will feed on itself for a few more years and then the Oscars will finally die when its inevitably consumed by its own bullshit

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
As a huge film buff, fuck them. Art is art. And art will never be fair. The Academy usually does a half way decent job in their nominations, half way in that most of the films nominated for this or that are solid films, but they always leave high quality stuff out. Anything controversial or hardcore they don’t nominate. Harder edged films like Irreversible, or Good Time don’t even get nominated. Irreversible got snubbed because of all the gays in Hollywood. They believed it be homophobic, and it wasn’t. It was just a violent story. Cannes and Stockholm sure took to it and gave it its due. Good Time should have been nominated, not saying it should have won anything, but another brilliant film and crickets from the academy. Then there is James Franco’s portrayal of Alien in Spring Breakers. The film’s director and producers taking to billboards to try and push Franco into a nomination, and crickets. The film wasn’t an Oscar film but his acting in that thing was. Politics.

Stanley Kubrick was the greatest director of film that ever lived, at least in this critics opinion. He never received a statue. He was nominated for Dr. Strangelove, 2001 a Space Odyssey, a Clockwork Orange, and Barry Lyndon and got the egg. It’s a clear indication that the Academy is not only fucked today, but it’s been fucked for over 50 years. How that man never got their coveted award should tell you everything you need to know. His films changed industries, changed genres, and changed film forever. No awards for him. Fuck the academy and their politics.

I can think of many poor decisions by them over the last 10-20 years. One that really had me smh, was robbing Jessica Chastain, not once but twice. And the key robbery was Zero Dark Thirty. Her portrayal of Maya was not only brilliant but the best female lead portrayal I have seen in anything in many years. That was a done deal as far I was concerned. But oh no, the fucktard politicians got involved.
quote:
Early signs of trouble came in mid-December when leading U.S. Senators Dianne Feinstein and Carl Levin, both Democrats, and John McCain, the Republicans’ 2008 presidential candidate, sent a letter to movie studio Sony Pictures, castigating the film.

Then: https://www.theguardian.com/fi...ott-zero-dark-thirty

Bigelow didn’t even get the nomination for director at all and Chastain got snubbed. Fuck the academy. These fuckers are ruining a real joy of my life, film. It’s always been my escape and I’ve always been neck deep in film. To see it die a woke death is a travesty to me. Woke is more important than art? I’m sick of the fucking PC police. There have been black films or black made films I have really enjoyed that were real solid films, Malcolm X, 25th hour. Gay films that are difficult for me to watch but were good films, Philadelphia with Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington, Brokeback done by Ang Lee, the only reason I watched it. That Hillary Swank film Boys Don’t Cry, and even Milk was a good film although I’m not a fan of Sean Penn’s Politics at all. I watch the Tyler Perry movies on cable with Madea and they are hilarious especially Joe. That old man is always saying dirty things. So if I’m open enough to watch stuff out of my own lexicon what the fuck is the Academy’s problem? Hell Moonlight came out a few years ago, about two young black kids who were gay-ish. Mahershala Ali Won best supporting actor in that and deserved it, he was solid. And it won best picture. That’s not good enough? Art is art. It was fine on its’ own.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Sure would be a shame if anyone were rewarded based on merit. Roll Eyes

if that is not Racist, then it is some other 'ist' that is offensive, and not sensitive to the modern world, or the new normal,

and yes, I'll be right next to you in the gulag Big Grin

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Probably will award Tom Hanks best pedo award of 2020

Bunch of smug losers. Hope this craters the industry.

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Sickening! Just more 'mandated' racism from rich dunces. 'Systemic irrelevancy' has now taken over.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 758 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post